FTO Compensation

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by TripleSeven, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Subscribing Member

Just curious what, if any, compensation FTO's are receiving out there? We are in contact negotiations and us FTO's are asking for compensation. Currently, FTO's receive nothing. The last agency I worked for FTO's were given 9 hours of comp time per trainee.

2. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Increase in pay, but no comp time.

3. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Our FTO's are corporals and receive an extra 5% for the first 3 years of becoming an FTO then 10% after that. The pay becomes part of their salary regardless of whether or not they have a trainee. In most S FL agencies FTO's get 5%.

4. TripleSeven

How much of an increase? If you don't mind me asking..

5. TripleSeven

That's pretty good. I would imagine your guys are frequently training people due to the size of you agency. We are a small department.. 16 full timers and about 4-5 part time reserves.

6. Herrdoktor

I forget the exact % but it works out to couple grand each probate you work.

Also if you an FTO but aren't assigned one you don't get an increase in pay. However if you get one because their regular FTO is sick or in training you get OT hours each night you train.

7. Herrdoktor

10% for an FTO stacked onto their salary even if they aren't training is pretty fucking good imo.

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  8. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Our FTOs have to take an oral interview to try for the position. You have to be a qualified officer to be able to train others to do the job. Once you're selected to be an FTO, you have to go to an FTO class, which is 5 days. You then have to go to an FTO update class every few years.

Our FTOs are considered a P-3 and wear two stripes like a corporal though that is not an actual rank out here. An FTO gets a 5% pay increase just by being a P-3. Even if you don't have a probationer to train, you still get the pay increase.

USMCMP5811 and Hush like this.
  9. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Our FTO's get nothing except having to work harder and do more paperwork.

10. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Two hours of comp time per day per trainee.

11. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Our FTO's get a crash cousre in Spanish to English translation, a real big attitude, and an everlasting migrane. But for most it is the best assignment they have had in thier two years on the job.

12. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Lmao... Well placed and played sir.

Dan Stark likes this.
  13. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

Same here. Not even a complimentary bottle of Aleve...

14. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

+5% year round bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. knucks12

knucks12 New Member

1 hour of OT per week for filling out forms..

16. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

Extra $10 a week, for 4 weeks (30 tours) have to go to FTO Training at the Academy I think it was 16hrs. Been a long time since I got a fresh boot...
    Just a thought- IMHO Department should use guys (gals) on the list for promotion as FTO's.

17. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

My Dept gives us NOTHING for it. As much as it sucks, I think it is a necessary evil. I've seen and heard of other places where people are trained by shitty FTOs because they only signed up for the time due. Our FTOs are hand-picked as people that the Brass see as being squared away and will be good role models for the noobs. My last round was BRUTAL but two of the three have become hard workers. They call me all the time for help which makes me feel good.

18. TripleSeven

I agree that there certainly shouldn't be excessive compensation for FTO's to attract officers just for the extra money. An FTO supervisor who is actually overseeing the program should weed out any that slip through the cracks that do a lousy job. It's a very important responsibility which also carries a lot of additional liability, IMO. Just wanted to get a feel for what other agencies are doing.

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

Hank Moody likes this.
  19. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

My job gives FTO's one comp day for each week of field training. FTO's are selected based on their reputation, not by who wants the extra time off.

20. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

I'm not a FTO, but I'm big into training. Our last hire (municipal academy self-sponsor, Marine with couple tours) seemed a little salty when he started... something about being a campus cop. We fixed that in FTO and on the range.

Our FTOs don't get any extra bucks as far as I know, and spend a majority of the time trying to get it through noobs heads that we are an open campus in the SECOND biggest city in New England. Guns, Drugs, Fights, Dead Bodies. Yup. It all happened here.

They actually qualify for a yearly stipend for FTO that every officer is qualified to apply for if they do a yearly program that benefits the department or university.

Hush likes this.
  21. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Hahaha... "And on the range."

Schooled some noob with your firearm mastery? Did you have a beard at the time? Otherwise it doesn't count.

22. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Used to be the job reserved for only the beautiful people. Unfortunately was not based on knowledge of the job and performance. Now it's a lot better. I do it because I want to see the newbies do well. The comp time is nice but it's not proportionate to the amount of work that we have to do if we train appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  23. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Nah... I don't shoot against people heads up. I give them experiences to find their own limits. Its a much better system. ;)

24. mr.anttrax

mr.anttrax MassCops Member

I know it's a thread from January but we get 8%. That would be in addition to shift differential.