FYI to BOSTON SPECIAL OFFICERS

Discussion in 'New England Area Law Enforcement' started by 1inchredstripe, Mar 1, 2009.

1. 1inchredstripe

1inchredstripe MassCops Member

Attention Rule-400, Boston Special Officers:

A new company providing what we thought was an SPO service to some clients is not exactly what it seems. I suffered from the "grass is greener" syndrome when Longwood lost the MHFA contract and jumped ship joining the new company thinking it would be better. In four weeks time we lost six officers who have no intention in ever coming back for a multitude of reasons that I cannot speak of in the open however if anyone has questions please feel free to send me a message.

If you work for a company providing an SPO service and your thinking of jumping ship please please please reconsider. Dont make the mistake I made. I would invite questions comments and/or concerns as I myself am looking for advise regarding a few issues I know of. This is message is to serve as an aide to my fellow Rule-400 Special Officers who may be either looking for work or considering leaving where they are... Trust me, dont do it.

Regards,

Fellow Officer. :neutral:

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Does the city still issue the square "ice scraper" badge?

3. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Last time I saw an SPO, I saw that they were wearing a clamb shell badge. With big SPECIAL OFFICER on the badge

4. mpr4601

mpr4601 MassCops Member

And a big expiration date if I remember correctly

5. BrickCop

BrickCop Subscribing Member

What's with the cloak and daggers drama? Why not just ID the company you're talking about? They're not going to hunt you down...we have many cops here critical of their own departments.

6. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Yup. Next thing you'll see. Boston putting restrictions on the badge

7. quality617

quality617 Subscribing Member

I see a firm called US Associates always putting out ads for Specials, specifically in Boston.

Unless you give out a few specifics, I'm assuming this is frustrated babble.

8. 1inchredstripe

no, not frusterated babble and Im sorry for not being specific. yes, U.S. Security Associates is the company.

9. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I think we've all been IP banned from there.

11. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

sometimes people who jump the fence for greener grass land in dog poo

12. 1inchredstripe

Your right, I landed in a pile of it. Now I find myself trying to go back over the fence provided that I can. Thanks for reading my post, appreciated.

13. HELPMe

HELPMe Subscribing Member

What authority do red stripers have? Breach of the peace arrests only? In presence? etc? I thought it was basically just a security guard position with arrest powers in case something happened. That's it. Can you apply for a summons, warrant check etc? I am assuming it has to all be done through BPD.

14. Mmp1

Mmp1 MassCops Member

Ya they have full police powers except chapter 90. They can make summons. They can only make arrests on their property they are licensed for, unless it' a felony in their presence.

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Same powers of arrest as BPD, just limited to company property (which they're very strict about).

16. HELPMe

HELPMe Subscribing Member

Ok great thanks for the info.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Incorrect; the very first MA citation I ever wrote was as a Boston SPO.

A guy lit up his tires in the parking lot of the company I worked for (24-hour business, public had right of access, etc.) and it turned into a big gun/drug arrest. The BPD guys who transported gave me a citation and showed me how to fill it out, just to cover all the bases of the initial interaction.

18. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Huh?
    So what, they can arrest for felonies based on probable cause, but not for felonies that happen right before their eyes?? :confused:

19. DJM1968

DJM1968 MassCops Member

I think he means "off-property, they can only arrest for felonies in their presence".

20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Boston SPO powers are limited to the property/addresses printed on the ID card; any felony arrest off-property would be a citizen's arrest (did in fact commit standard of proof).

21. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

so they are basically campus police ?

22. Mmp1

Mmp1 MassCops Member

loyal, campus police are usually SSPO's, and some have chapter 90 to pull people over on campus.

23. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Seriously man...

Don't you EVER quit?
    :uc:

24. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Rehab is for Quitters.

25. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

MPD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) i knew you were lurking !