FYI to BOSTON SPECIAL OFFICERS

Discussion in 'New England Area Law Enforcement' started by 1inchredstripe, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

;) Loyal are you afraid they will swarm BPD's calls. Kinda like Alpha and Bravo.

2. MidC!Maruader

MidC!Maruader MassCops Member

Any 400A's left on this site.

3. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

We lurk about!

4. Big.G

Big.G In Tactical Mode....

:L: I accomplished that in 14 hours. Down side, I missed out on everything else you guys did....

5. vaccaroja

vaccaroja MassCops Member

yeah thats the comapny i used to work for.

6. annadad71

annadad71 Guest

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I posted here but I check in when I can. I work for a state college police department (hint it is the only armed commmunity college in Mass.) and have recently taken up a part time job on Fridays as a Boston Special. I have to say it is alot like being a campus cop actually, we do run warrants and can apply for arrest warrants if needed. We were issued F.I.O. books and Marijuana ticket books to cite community pot heads. I used to do this like 10 years ago and we were kind of the running joke but now we actually get some respect from B.P.D. and even the criminals. We can arrest for both felonies and misdemeanors on our property and B.P.D. still does our transports for us when we need them. I try not to make to many arrests so I am under the radar but the job overall is quite enjoyable. And in truth it really is not that different from what I do over at the college. I know the company being mentioned here and it is true they are not up to speed for the M.H.F.A. contract, but things change and I believe Longwood will get it back in time.

7. CodeBlue1970

CodeBlue1970 MassCops Member

I worked for both companies recently and they are both bad companies. US Ass. is the worst. They wouldnt be bad companies if the cleaned out management and had some fresh faces to boost morale. Poor planning and mismangement for both.

Most of the SPO's I came incontact with were alright but some shouldnt have even been granted the authority to wear a badge or make arrests. It is a good way to start a future in Law Enforcement but do not get in over your head being power hungry.

Longwood was at the top of the food chain but lost a huge contract that they had for years with Mass Housing, so that should tell you something is wrong. Longwood does provide top quality gear but you need to buy the .38 and vest.

8. shonjon83

shonjon83 New Member

what exactly is the SPO? im trying to become a police officer i mass, do you have to be a police officer first or can you start in that area?

9. ROME72

ROME72 MassCops Member

Longwood did not have the MHFA for years, they took over the contract in 2004 from New World Security. The first class from Longwood was pretty high speed and most of them are now municipal police officers in numerous cities. After that they fell apart, from what I've heard.

10. DJM1968

DJM1968 MassCops Member

SPO=Special Police Officer. Basically, security officers with limited arrest powers.

11. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

You always were the "Duke of Class D":cool:

12. mschumann

mschumann MassCops Member

I work as a special for Longwood. As someone who is looking for a career as a full time police officer (ANYWHERE! :D), I have found working as a special to be a great learning experience. I know it is only a small taste of what full time, fully trained police officer's do... but it is good experience. I have been fortunate to have made a few good arrest in my short career there and have found it to be a great learning exprience. Hopefully my time as a special with Longwood will help* me move up the ladder.

Of course there are good special officer's and bad special officer's out there. For the most part, I feel comfortable saying that I work with good people that care about their job. Longwood is a great company and the management truely care's about the job that their Officer's do. Of course, no place is perfect, but Longwood has been great to me.

13. romeobravogolf

romeobravogolf MassCops Member

100 hour unarmed Boston Special Course June/July Rockland MA

Just found this posting on Craigslist, be advised that I don't know anything about this program except for what is in the ad but I thought other MassCops readers would be interested. Looks like its just the unarmed portion of the Rule 400 training and that you would have to seek out the armed portion elsewhere:

Boston Special Officers Training Program

I have scheduled a 100 hour unarmed, Boston Special Officers Training Program / Rule 400 /starting Monday, June 22, 2009 at the Holiday Inn in Rockland, Mass. The program will run Monday, Wednesday and Fridays from 8:00AM to 4:00 PM for 13 sessions, ending July 20, 2009. If you are seriously interested you may e-mail me or call in the evenings between 8:00 PM & 9:00 PM. This is a private company

John A. DeGutis, Jr. Consulting Services
    221 Union Street
    Marshfield, Massachusetts 02050

Telephone number: 781-837-6468 ​

14. Wassabi

Wassabi New Member

I thought Alliance was the cream of the crop for Boston Specials... Dont they make the most arrests, and keep the clientele happy???:p:rolleyes::cool:

15. musclerussian

musclerussian MassCops Member

I'm training to be a boston special. I can do anything a boston cop can do EXCEPT the following... 1- no chapter 90 powers, 2-cant apply or execute search warrants,3-cant write up a bpd incident form 1.1 if its a sexual assault, aggravated assault, homicide and robbery.I cant deal with a 209a call though. I can restrain the parties that are having problems. thats all i cant do. i can summons people, make arrests on the property i am assigned to. Just to let you people know the rule400a guys have to attend the same training I am attending which is the william cloran academy.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

forgot to mention we can run a warrant check. if he has a warrant out we can make the arrest.

16. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Then I guess you're good to go. You sound like you've done your research. I'm sure you'll make a fine addition to whatever company you get on the job with. I predict that within 6 months you'll have yourself a gold badge and be a shot caller.

17. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 109K+Poster

musclehead [​IMG]
    I lift them up and put
    them down
    MassCops Cadet

11-04-2009

Did you look at the date of the thread you are responding to ?????????

18. musclerussian

i know its old but just trying to clarify about being a special

19. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Tell me how you are going to do that? You have CJIS/NCIC/WMS/LEAPS on your Droid?

20. musclerussian

its called a radio you know the one you guys carry. all we have to do is call dispatch(security company dispatch) and they will let us know.

21. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

And how do they get that info?

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

And my radio doesn't connect to a security company

22. musclerussian

i dont't know. Thats what I have been told. There is a guy in my class who is a dispatcher for the us security associates company and he told me that.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

One cop who teached us in the class said and these are his words " you guys are police officers". he said if we go to a disturbance call we can knock on the door and say police.

23. musclerussian

those r the boston cop words not mine.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

also if they really dont want us doing anything its all good!! getting paid 18 or 19 bucks to do nothing and look like a cop!!!

24. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Gotta love your attitude and work ethic...
    BTW is this you looking like a cop:

25. musclerussian

no thats you before you got the transgendered surgery