Gun question

Discussion in 'Ask A Cop' started by Mark3209, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Mark3209

Mark3209 MassCops Member

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me but,

I live in NH and own a M4, up here you don't need a license to own a gun. I'm going to be moving back to MA for a year and going to be forced to leave my gun with a family member in NH. My question is when I go up to visit family in NH, with a MA drivers license, will I still be able to posses the gun in NH?

Just not sure if the NH police would see me as "a resident of MA with a gun that is illegal in MA"

Thanks

2. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Pretty sure if you legally purchased and currently own the M-4 in NH, and are "storing it" safely with relatives in NH, you can still legally own and possess your real property within NH........

3. Chitownlost

Chitownlost Internet "expert"

Massachusetts laws don't apply outside MA, so it kinda doesn't matter what they see it as.

If you go to Colorado and smoke 3 lbs of pot and come here and tell a cop, it doesn't matter (until you get that "random" drug test at work).

4. Mark3209

Mark3209 MassCops Member

That's what I figured, thank you for the feedback guys!

5. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Yeah. Same rules apply, unloaded if transporting. But good to go all day. We have freedom up here...

pahapoika and mpd61 like this.
  6. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

To expand on what Chitownlost said...New Hampshire cops can't enforce Massachusetts law. ;)

7. Mark3209

Mark3209 MassCops Member

Grew up in MA, moved to NH 3 years ago, love the gun laws, but seeing people get arrested in NH for weed isn't freedom, even though I haven't smoked for years, arresting someone for possession is ridiculous!