Health Care Reform Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Law Enforcement' started by DANIPD, Jul 24, 2009.

1. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Re: Excellent overview of Health reform issues

Hey Harry, a humble suggestion: can we merge the dozen or so healthcare threads thet we have floating around? It's getting a little crowded around here...

Good post Longknife.
  2. Crvtte65

Crvtte65 Moderator

I think I got them all....
  3. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Sentenced to death on the NHS

Patients with terminal illnesses are being made to die prematurely under an NHS scheme to help end their lives, leading doctors warn today.

By Kate Devlin, Medical Correspondent
    Published: 10:00PM BST 02 Sep 2009

In a letter to The Daily Telegraph, a group of experts who care for the terminally ill claim that some patients are being wrongly judged as close to death.

Under NHS guidance introduced across England to help doctors and medical staff deal with dying patients, they can then have fluid and drugs withdrawn and many are put on continuous sedation until they pass away.

But this approach can also mask the signs that their condition is improving, the experts warn.

Full Article
  4. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I had to take my puppy to the vet last week. Over talking with the vet (and avoiding a $3000 MRI) I learned she was originally from Canada. We got into a discussion about medicine and health care and I asked her...as a medical professional and a person from Canada, what is YOUR opinion of the Canadian Model for health care. She looked at me and said "Its awful." I asked if she would like to see it in this country, and she said "absolutely not." Not like I needed any more convincing, but found it interesting how strong her opinions were.
  5. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 91K+Poster

6. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Interesting ebomb.

One word: Marxism
    One Phrase: Death Panels
    One fact: Unaffordable

Government Success Record:
    The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775 - they've had 234 years
    to get it right; it is broke, and even though heavily subsidized, it
    is not able to compete with private sector FedEx and UPS services.

Social Security was established in 1935 - they've had 74 years to get
    it right; it is broke.

Fannie Mae was established in 1938 - they've had 71 years to get it
    right; it is broke. Freddie Mac was established in 1970 - they've had
    39 years to get it right; it is broke. Together Fannie and Freddie
    have now led the entire world into the worst economic collapse in 80
    years.

The War on Poverty was started in 1964 - they've had 45 years to get
    it right; $1 trillion of our hard earned money is confiscated each
    year and transferred to "the poor"; it hasn't worked.

Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965 - they've had 44 years
    to get it right; they are both broke; and now our government dares to
    mention them as models for all US health care.

AMTRAK was established in 1970 - they've had 39 years to get it right;
    last year they bailed it out as it continues to run at a loss!

This year, a trillion dollars was committed in the massive political
    payoff called the Stimulus Bill of 2009; it shows NO sign of working;
    it's been used to increase the size of governments across America, and
    raise government salaries while the rest of us suffer from economic
    hardships. It has yet to create a single new private sector job. Our
    national debt projections (approaching $10 trillion) have increased
    400% in the last six months.

"Cash for Clunkers" was established in 2009 and went broke in 2009 - -
    after 80% of the cars purchased turned out to be produced by foreign
    companies, and dealers nationwide are buried under bureaucratic
    paperwork demanded by a government that is not yet paying them what
    was promised.

So with a perfect 100% failure rate and a record that proves that each
    and every "service" shoved down our throats by an over-reaching
    go vernment turns into disaster, how could any informed American trust
    our government to run or even set policies for America's health care
    system - - 17% of our economy?

Maybe each of us has a personal responsibility to let others in on
    this brilliant record before 2010, and then help remove from office
    those who are voting to destroy capitalism and destroy our
    grandchildren's future.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
    government from wasting the labours of the people under the pretence
    of taking care of them."

-- Thomas Jefferson
  7. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

:thumbup:Fine post, Long Knife; two thumbs up!:thumbup:
  8. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

9. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

10. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

11. Penguin

Penguin MassCops Member

How many people in this country are uninsured because they are drug dealers or thieves? I don't see them in the breakdown of the uninsured.
    Any good estimates on the number of criminals on the street today? Granted we do get to pay for them as soon as they meet one you :D but that is different.
  12. OfficerObie59

Great editorial by Geroge Will...

Mitch McConnell Smiled? The President is CPR for the GOP.
    By George F. Will | NEWSWEEK
    Published Sep 12, 2009
    From the magazine issue dated Sep 21, 2009

Mitch McConnell, the taciturn Kentuckian who leads Senate Republicans, usually resembles Samuel Beckett's character Watt, who "had never smiled, but thought he knew how it was done." Last week, however, careful observers detected a trace of a hint of a shadow of a smile. Congressional Democrats were still at daggers drawn with one another, and the president's rhetoric was becoming CPR for the Republican Party.

On the 233rd day of his presidency, Barack Obama grabbed the country's lapels for the 263rd time—that was, as of last Wednesday, the count of his speeches, press conferences, town halls, interviews, and other public remarks. His speech to Congress was the 122nd time he had publicly discussed health care. Just 14 hours would pass before the 123rd, on Thursday morning. His incessant talking cannot combat what it has caused: An increasing number of Americans do not believe that he believes what he says.

Full Editorial: Why No One Believes Obama | Newsweek George F. Will | Newsweek.com
  13. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775 - you have had 234 years to get it right; it is broke.

[​IMG]
    Social Security was established in 1935 - you have had 74 years to get it right; it is broke.

[​IMG]
    Fannie Mae was established in 1938 - you have had 71 years to get it right; it is broke.

[​IMG]
    The "War on Poverty" started in 1964 - you have had 45 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor"; it hasn't worked and our entire country is broke.

[​IMG]
    Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965 - you've had 44 years to get it right; they are broke.

[​IMG]
    Freddie Mac was established in 1970 - you have had 39 years to get it right; it is broke.

[​IMG]
    Trillions of dollars were spent in the massive political payoffs called TARP, the "Stimulus", the Omnibus Appropriations Act of 2009... none showanysigns of working, although ACORN appears to have found a new bitch: the American taxpayer.

And finally, to set a new record:

[​IMG]
    "Cash for Clunkers" was established in 2009 and went broke in 2009! It took good dependable cars (that were the best some people could afford) and replaced them with high-priced and less-affordable cars, mostly Japanese. A good percentage of the profits went out of the country. And the American taxpayers take the hit for Congress' generosity in burning three billion more of our dollars on failed experiments.

[​IMG]
    So with a perfect 100% failure rate and a record that proves that "services" you shove down our throats are failing faster and faster, you want Americans to believe you can be trusted with a government-run health care system?

20% of our entire economy?

With all due respect,

Are you crazy?

14. Simon

Simon Guest

see if you can stomach THIS:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e2ItadrrL0"]YouTube- healthcare[/nomedia]
  15. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Do you know what is most stomach-turning about that vid Sniper?
    That our Chairman Obama believes the "costs" she mentioned are the real problem, not that there is an illegal scumbag is being cared for.
    It's the hospital and doctors that are charging too much, not that Mexican & Guatemalan refuse are seeking care.
    Makes me f'ing sick.
  16. OfficerObie59

Florida judge rules health care law unconstitutional

Florida judge rules health care law unconstitutional

A federal judge has ruled that the health care reform bill signed into law by President Barack Obama in March is unconstitutional.

Judge Roger Vinson, a Reagan appointee serving in Pensacola, Florida, ruled that key components of the law are unconstitutional and that the entire law "must be declared void."

Full Story: First Read - Florida judge rules health care law unconstitutional-

The first four pages of the decision are like a class in Con Law:
    http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/S..._Politics_Today_Stories_Teases/PPM153_vin.pdf

Notice thins thing was bounced on summary judgment...means the side pushing for the ruling didn't even have to present their side of the case...
  17. Eagle13

Eagle13 Lurking for a bit...

Fla. judge strikes down Obama health care overhaul - Boston.com

Fla. judge strikes down Obama health care overhaul

By Melissa Nelson
    Associated Press / January 31, 2011

PENSACOLA, Fla.—A federal judge ruled Monday that the Obama administration's health care overhaul is unconstitutional, siding with 26 states that sued to block it
  18. flintlockglock

flintlockglock Town Fool

19. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Looking at this and the Virginia ruling means Massachusetts Healthcare law is Unconstitutional as well which I believe is true.
  20. Eagle13

Eagle13 Lurking for a bit...

I was thinking that too. These cases are setting a strong precedent.
  21. kwflatbed

Fla. judge in Obama health suit has own med story

[​IMG]

Play Video ABC News – Obama on Health Care Repeal: 'Granny is Safe'
    By MELISSA NELSON and RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Melissa Nelson And Ricardo Alonso-zaldivar, Associated Press – Tue Feb 1, 6:52 am ET

PENSACOLA, Fla. – The judge who ruled the Obama administration's health care overhaul unconstitutional questioned whether the government was reaching beyond its power by requiring citizens to buy health insurance because everyone needs medical care.
    Under that logic, U.S. District Judge Roger Vinson said, the government could force Americans to buy clothes or food. Vinson, who sided with 26 states fighting the much-maligned measure, revealed his own health care story during arguments several weeks ago, an example that helped shed light on his ruling Monday.
    When Vinson was a law student and his wife gave birth to their first child, he paid a doctor in cash.
    "It amounted to about $100 a pound," the 70-year-old jurist joked in December.
    Vinson, an ex-Navy pilot appointed to the federal bench by President Ronald Reagan in 1983, is known for maintaining control of his courtroom while letting everyone have their say. He loves camellia flowers and has handled cases from abortion clinic bombings to veterans rights to racial discrimination.

Full Story:
    Fla. judge in Obama health suit has own med story - Yahoo! News
  22. kwflatbed

23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Note to D.C. politicians.......WE DON'T WANT THE DAMN HEALTH CARE LAW!!!!!!
  24. kwflatbed

25. DEI8

DEI8 Supporting Member

I am shocked that the dems put in hidden fees.