Historic Police Photos

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by Rock, Mar 27, 2012.

1. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347292878.717687.jpg

The long promised merger of the MSP & Rangers has finally happened.
    The new agency must only decide on a uniform.

USMCMP5811, LawMan3, frank and 4 others like this.
  2. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Nowadays these hack reporters right out of college would of captioned the photo " Two MSP Officers displaying their service revolvers."

lofu and Johnny Law like this.
  3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Uh, in this case, at least the REVOLVER part would be right! :p

USMCMP5811 and frank like this.
  4. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

That was what Dukakis proposed for the MSP winter uniform, to be more inclusive of all citizens (he also wanted a construction worker, a sailor, and an indian)

mtc, Kilvinsky and frank like this.
  5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

1967 - Quincy Patrolman Bill Muir checks out an MTA street car (Quincy Masonic Temple in the background)

muir.JPG

6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

1957 - Quincy Patrolman Francis Wigmore brings in an arrest.

wigmore.JPG

USMCMP5811 and MetPolicePhotos like this.
  7. MetPolicePhotos

MetPolicePhotos MassCops Member

? PD. Arrested in beating of officers. Fred Guarell of Auburn, N.H. and Joseph Farina of Chelsea. Part of gang. (Boston Public Library Archives and Flickr.com) BPL Archives.jpg

8. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

9. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

E
    Looks like the officer got some good shots in.........or the perp fell down the stairs on his way to booking.

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  10. Kilvinsky

[​IMG]

In 1933, the Quincy Ferry Service made one of the first attempts to take cars as well as pedestrian passengers. They could take only one vehicle at a time and had to transport it dangling from a cable alongside the boat. The experiment was a dismal failure when car owners complained that change, luggage, gasoline and small children would fall out of the vehicles. The idea was abandonded within 9 months though in 2009, Deval Patrick asked Transportation Secretary Richard Davey to consider trying it again. Davey declined saying, "We just spent so much on those signs telling you how long it'll take you to get to the next exit and glitter, we've only got so much left for MY salary." The Governor agreed to wait until the next fiscal year.

USMCMP5811, mtc, frank and 1 other person like this.
  11. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

Today, the harsh looks the perps are getting would be considered excessive force in Massachusetts.

USMCMP5811, mtc and GARDA like this.
  12. PBC FL Cop

Boston car wreck 1935.jpg
    Boston 1935

13. PBC FL Cop

Worcester 1964 presidential motorcade
    Worcester Chandler St 1964.jpg

fra444 and Delta784 like this.
  14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Mid-late 1960's - Braintree PD "Rainbow Fleet"

Rainbow.jpg

USMCMP5811, Johnny Law and Kilvinsky like this.
  15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

fra444 likes this.
  16. niteowl1970

Delta784 likes this.
  17. Kilvinsky

I believe (if I remember correctly) that's Lt. Dimico (sp?) pointing the revolver. Doesn't he look a bit like Dennis Farina? I would guess this picture was taken not long after BPD moved into the new station which has/had an indoor firing range. It was built about 1975 and this picture looks to be about that old.

Ernie was a hell of a guy as was his Dad who I was an Aux. with. His Dad and he were somewhat opposite. Sam was firey and as great a guy as he was, when mad, he could be a little scary. Ernie was easy going and just such a basically nice guy. When he and Lt. Greg Principe died on Middle St. chasing that lousy punk kid pretty much the whole town mourned. They were two of the finest men to ever work there.

Lt. Dimico's son had been on West Tisbury PD or Chilmark. Oh man, the memory does fade with time....

Nice find Delta. The rainbow fleet is something most folks at Braintree PD want to forget, but then again, it was phased out by roughly 1980 and there aren't that many guys left from that era.

[​IMG]

Delta784 likes this.
  18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Ernie's dad Sam was the auxiliary coordinator when I was on the Braintree Auxiliary....super nice guy, but from what I heard, he was a broken man after Ernie was killed. I can't say I blame him.

I've heard stories that the rainbow fleet was so that citizens would know which color cruiser was assigned to their neighborhood, so they could report any officers out of their area. That doesn't make sense, since I often get sent to areas of Quincy I haven't seen in ages when the priority calls start getting stacked.

Kilv, were you on BAPD when the Dianne DeVanna murder happened? I'm thinking about using that incident as a case study for school, and as I'm sure you know, the first officers on-scene that night were auxiliaries. I may have to pick your brain via PM.

Here's a trivia question for you.....when Braintree PD retired the rainbow fleet and went to blue & white cruisers, what was the motto on the sides of the cruisers?

19. niteowl1970

That Lt. Dimico looks like one tough mofo.

20. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

"Help at your fingertips"

Delta784 and Kilvinsky like this.
  21. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Sure it makes perfect sense...
    Citizen: That officer in the orange car cut me off!!!
    Sgt. We know exactly who that is and we will take care of it!!!

22. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

Fra didn't Fall River have numbers on the back doors of the cars at one time that took up the entire door panel and also on the trunk that took up the entire trunk lid?

I know Middleboro had a rainbow fleet for a while too.
    Must have been a 70's thang.

fra444 likes this.
  23. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Absolutely sbd.... As rumor has it the numbers were that big so that citizens could identify the car so as to make it easier to make a complaint against the officer...

24. Kilvinsky

I was beaten to the punch on the trivia question. Just as well, I was drawing a total blank! Help at your fingertips WAS in use during the rainbow fleet days. It replaced, "Helping Our Citizens In A Colorful Way!"

USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  25. Kilvinsky

[​IMG]

If you look close, you can see that the bays for the Fire Department seem empty. I can picture a couple of jakes across the street talking: "Well, we HAD to move the engines, what if we got a call?" "Yeah, the damn cops took 20 minutes to get the cars lined up, it would take an hour to get them moved if we had to get out." "Yeah, cops are dumb."

I got to ride in the back of one of those suckers when I was a kid after being bitten by a neighbor's dog. It was more fun though when Dad came around and gave us kids rides around the neighborhood.