Historic Police Photos

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by Rock, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

2. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I made my first felony arrest on a town takeover. Armed Robbery of a Photomat at King's Plaza. Most cooperative suspect I've EVER encountered. We got him at 5 Corners. Spontaneous Utterances galore. It was awesome.

How many of you kids out there are saying: Photomat? King's Plaza? WTF?

USMCMP5811, Mr Scribbles, mtc and 2 others like this.
  3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The officer next to the brown cruiser on the left is Charlie MacDonald, who was friends with my dad and also one of the people who got me interested in police work. He died suddenly back in the early 80's, very unexpectedly. His daughter just friended me on Facebook after I mentioned how influential her dad was on me.

4. MetPolicePhotos

MetPolicePhotos MassCops Member

Chicago Sun Times/ebay stores Braintree 1977.jpg 1977 Braintree Police "help at your fingertips"

5. Kilvinsky

Charlie was a FANTASTIC guy. I worked McDonald's one night and he dropped by, invited me in to sit in the cruiser and (maybe because of MY Dad) talked to me like almost an equal as opposed to a 20 yo special. I got out of that car and floated above McD's until the end of the detail. That was especially an honor since he was known as not being a big fan of specials overall, yet he had class when dealing with people.

The ptl. and sgt. look familiar, but I'm at a loss for names. It was so long ago. Funny, I can't help but wonder how many members on this site weren't even born when this photo was taken.

S7, was and still is the supervisor (well, 817 now).

USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

1979 - John Wayne Gacy's house is torn down.

Gacy.JPG

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'm almost certain the patrolman on the left is Tom Tierney, who worked for something like 4-5 different CS police departments before he finally settled in Quincy, where he retired as a sergeant about 7-8 years ago.

BTW...you gotta love the cigar in the sergeant's left hand.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  8. Kilvinsky

You mention cigar and, I could be WAY off, but the name Lenny Torey suddenly hit me. I think it may have been him. I really got to get my Dad over here to see some of these pics.

The John Wayne Gacy House being torn down, must have been a very happy day for the neighborhood and I can almost hear various realtors discussing the issue:

"Yeah, it had to go, how the hell do you move THAT?"
    "Easy, lots of folks like stuff like that. Don't you watch haunted house movies?"
    "You're kind of sick, aren't you?"
    "Yeah, maybe, but with what I could charge for that place to some thrill seeker, I'd put you ALL to shame."
    "He's right, plus, anyone who would want it for those reasons is sicker than him, AND isn't making money."
    "Unless they start charging people for tours in a few years. Lizzie Borden house anyone?"
    "Oh yeah. Shit."

USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Hard to tell at that angle, but I think it might be Lenny Torrey. He was a lieutenant when I was with Braintree Auxiliary.

Didn't he get shot at the Shaffer Pharmacy robbery at 5 Corners?

10. Kilvinsky

yup. That night, I went for a walk. Thought of heading down to the pharmacy and buying a MAD or something but ended up going down and roaming the Plaza. As I left the Plaza headed for 5 corners I see Quincy cruisers SCREAMING up Granite St. and couldn't help but wonder what the hell they were racing up Granite for. When I bumped into a couple of friends from the neighborhood they told me what had happened. When I got up to 5 Corners, it was a mess so needless to say, I kept my distance, but I DID stay to observes the scene.

Bob Devin was shot at the Suisse Chalet. Both were within a year or so of each other.

Delta784 likes this.
  11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

http://www.wickedlocal.com/braintree/news/opinions/x563238573#axzz26nBzJ1bU

I think after the Susse Chalet robbery is when they started hiring a detail at night, which I believe continues to this date with the Motel 6 that's there now.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  12. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

OCKS, frank, Kilvinsky and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kilvinsky

In reading the 'Wicked Local" item, I could see that report was VERY well written and shows what a tough SOB he was. Another one of the GOOD guys.

Delta784 likes this.
  14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That article also brought back some memories, such as Dailey's Farm Stand and Bella's Restaurant. Officers Ciolek and Donoughue both later sued the department over being denied appointment as special officers to work details after their retirements.

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I've confirmed that the patrolman is Tom Tierney, and the sergeant is Lenny Torrey.

Tom went from Braintree to Norwood to the MDC to Quincy. When I asked him what political juice he had to get 3 CS laterals, he just laughed.

OCKS and Kilvinsky like this.
  16. Kilvinsky

I drank behind Daily's from time to time and before that it was a cool thing when we were old enough to walk down there and buy fruit.

When you hear CEMENT HEAD, what do you think of...without actually typing it here?!?

Delta784 likes this.
  17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

1957 - Quincy Sergeant James Mullin uses a new 2-way radio. We still use the same hat & breast badge designs.

2-Way.JPG

18. Kilvinsky

Newsreel Narrator: "Here we see Sgt. Mullin of the Quincy Police waiting for a call. Yeah, Sgt. Mullin has been on the job quite awhile and started before telephones were even in use. You'll have to forgive him for being a little confused."

[​IMG]

Or.....

"Remember kids, cell phone use while driving is ILLEGAL. If you want to make a call, pull over to the side of the road like Sgt. Mullin of the Quincy Police has, and keep everyone safe."

or.....

from speaker: "...and don't forget the milk this time, you forgot it last time and the poor cat had to starve. And remember to pick my mother up at the hair salon. She's due to spend a few days with us while her house is being fumagated. I told her you'd fix her breakfast tomorrow. Did you take my laundry to the cleaners like I told you to? Well? Oh, your brother was by this morning, when is that bum going to get a job? And further more......"

BxDetSgt, USMCMP5811, k12kop and 2 others like this.
  19. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

And now you see why Sgt Mullin prefers to pull double shifts.

USMCMP5811 and Kilvinsky like this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Quincy PD - 1975

Not sure what's going on here, other than changing a tire, but I remember the "Scout Jeeps" shown in the picture. They were issued to officers who normally walked a foot beat (there were TONS of walking beats in the 60's-70's) to give them greater mobility.

They had all the amenities of a hockey penalty box, but extended the range of a walking officer quite a bit, even with a 50mph top speed. Sector cruisers were still police-package sedans.

Scout.JPG

21. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

1986 - Metropolitan Police

Officer George Borey surveys a crash scene.

MDC.JPG

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

1991 - Capitol Police (RIP), MSP, RMV Police (RIP) and unknown.

Governor Bill Weld greets members of various MA PD's.

Weld.JPG

23. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

A little further down the South Shore, Plymouth has quite a few historic photos posted on the PD's website: http://plymouthpolice.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=9

Apparently they still busted chops 72 years ago, from a 1940 Association yearbook:
    [​IMG]

Can you spot the Masscops member in the photo from this 1990 range qual? I betcha he can...

[​IMG]

For you canine guys...

Caption: "Ptl. Donald Ward w/ K-9 Rommel circa 1973"

Woof.

[​IMG]

24. Kilvinsky

I can't get MY dog to drink from the doggie bubblah at Stoddard Neck and this guy gets his to drink from a PEOPLE bubblah? WTF? My dog would make a lousy police dog unless we were hunting fugitive rabbits.

frank likes this.
  25. Kilvinsky