Hospital Runs

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by patrol22, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

I'm curious how other depts. deal with prisoner medical issues.

At my place whenever a prisoner whines that their tummy hurts we have to take them to the hospital. This would be great if we could get rid of them but an officer has to accompany them to the hospital and stay with them until they are fit to return to the station. Sometimes on weekends/holidays this ties up an officer from the road for multiple shifts and forces people over. Obviously this creates quite an issue when we are running at minimum. Most of the depts. around me seem to operate the same way. I was curious if anywhere else has found a better way to handle this?

2. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Does your Department have Reserve/Intermittent Officers, who can be hired for a shift to cover the prisoner watch? That's probably the most straightforward option.
    Depending on the nature of the arrest/charges, you could ask the bail commissioner to release the prisoner on personal recognizance. Of course this option is better for cases where the prisoner is actually really sick and needs to be hospitalized; if you do it for some prisoner with a BS claim it will just encourage them to use the hospital option again.
    Talk to Departments around you about the different ED options too. Some are quicker than others and will have the prisoner out sooner. Of course if you're outside 128 you probably won't have too many options for closeby hospitals, but around Boston there's usually a few options.

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Not sure how they do it another counties , but Plymouth Sheriff's Department usually ends up sitting on most of the bad guys that end up in the hospital.

4. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Does PCSO take them over the weekend or only after they're arraigned on Monday morning?

5. pahapoika

I believe it's after they've been arraigned. then they become in Plymouth County custody.

They must arraign them in their beds though because It's not unusual to relieve officers from various towns in the county

woodyd likes this.
  6. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

An air embolus in the IV usually solves the problem

felony, pahapoika, zm88 and 1 other person like this.
  7. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Sort of relevant story here. A couple years ago a town west of Boston had an OIS on a Friday afternoon. Happened after an armed robbery, and was possibly an attempted Q5 by Cop. Anyway, the suspect was taken to a Boston trauma center, it was a holiday weekend, and the local Dept (the one whose Officer shot the suspect) got stuck watching him from Friday afternoon until 1200 Tuesday when the Sheriff's office took over after the suspect was arraigned at the hospital.
    11.5 shifts covering the prisoner watch, and they needed two Officers because of the nature of the situation. Fortunately one guy on that Dept seems to really like hospital runs and volunteered for a lot of the OT, but still needing to suddenly cover 22 holes on a holiday weekend is rough.

pahapoika likes this.
  8. felony

felony MassCops Member

Summons

USAF3424 likes this.
  9. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Seems we send someone to the hospital almost everynight now. Mandatory 2 officers per prisoner. If theyre going to be there for an extended period of time the boss will hire overtime but wont order someone for it. If no one takes it we usually do an hour and a half to two hours per 2 man car.

10. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Oh and if theyre going to a Boston Hospital, Tufts is by far the fastest at getting them out of there.

11. pahapoika

The old "chest pain" routine used to be a free ride to the hospital. Doctors got hip to that and usually got them out fairly quick.
    Now the new thing seems to be fake seizures. Takes more than a simple echocardiogram.
    The nurses are hit-and-miss. Sometimes the prisoner is the bad guy. Sometimes we're the bad guy :rolleyes:

felony likes this.
  12. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Glad to see it's not just the hospital I go to ;)

pahapoika likes this.