Job Prospects

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by visible25, Jan 30, 2017.

1. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

As many of you know, I'm drawing down on my last semester at college and in the process of applying for LEO jobs (including taking all the tests) and working to sit down with those still in and retired from the job to get as much information as possible.

One thought that's crossed my mind in the last month has been regarding what to while waiting for that letter. I'm now beginning to broaden my horizons/application searches for jobs related to LE in some capacity whether that be dispatching, strong point security, threat assessment, intel or anything in that realm. That being said, since I'm just scratching at the top of the surface I don't quite know where to look for these types of jobs.

Figured I'd reach out to you all and see if anyone had any avenues of approach or suggestions of places/things to look into. Feel free to PM me or reply here. Thanks in advance !

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 108K+Poster

As Mike told you GO WEST YOUNG MAN !!

Joel98, Kilvinsky, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  3. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

And I'll be here ready to help if you decide to do so...

4. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 108K+Poster

5. visible25

Military limitations -_-

6. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Get on a deployment ASAP.

pahapoika likes this.
  7. visible25

That's the plan if I'm being honest

8. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

I'm assuming based on your age that you're wrapping up a bachelors. I'd suggest you continue on for the masters if possible, while simultaneously getting some LE or public safety type experience as you described. Education doesn't affect your CS score, but there's a whole world of LE out there that finds education desirable.

Goose, j809 and visible25 like this.
  9. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

It's kind of an uphill battle.
    You can do the whole dispatcher , Reserve intermittent ,Special, etc
    Maybe in ten years you'd find yourself for the full-time gig.

It seems residency with the vet status is the golden ticket.

10. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

They do?

My bachelors wasn't worth the paper it was written on when applying... the only thing that mattered was "academy trained" and since that appeared nowhere on my resume, to the circular file it went.

You talking Feds?

visible25 and pahapoika like this.
  11. pahapoika

Wasn't Fitchburg State doing something with a full-time Academy now ?

Can say it enough. Ditch the degree and spend your money on an academy.

mpd61 and visible25 like this.
  12. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

With the feds and with most local agencies, a degree is very often the difference between landing any LE job and landing a great LE job. For example, look at NH, PSTC publishes #'s on the educational background of all new police hires in their annual reports. Compare that to the news articles or social media posts from the more desirable agencies in the state who spell out the education of their new hires. It's fairly simple to see.
    In MA the FT academy is the big thing becwuse there's no direct sponsorship route. But to be more universally marketable, education. Especially when you're young with less responsibility in life, do it.

13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Combination of full time academy and a degree is key now to getting a job in Massachusetts, especially non civil circus agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

I woud look into possibly joining the military as either guard or reserve and after 180 consectutive days of service (I think) you would achieve veteran preferance and be able to be higher up on the civil service list in your town (if they are CS). Also, I would recommend getting a job in a related career field while also trying to stay involved in your commuity (doing community service, apply as a dispatcher, attend a Citizens Police Academy). Lastly, I know school is probaly the last thing you would want, but if you chose to take the military route, you would be able to use your GI Bill benefits towards either chipping away at your masters degree (which is huge if the dept. has Quinn or some type of education incentive) or going to EMT training.

I don't know your current living situation, but ask anyone here. Get the training and schooling out of the way before you get on the job, meet a girl, have kids, buy a house etc etc... time literally disapears!

I only suggest the guard/reserve level because I was on active duty for 4 consecutive years, and I missed an oppurtunity to get a fulltime gig because I had time left on my contract.

Just my $.02!!

pahapoika and visible25 like this.
  15. visible25

Currently in the reserves and upon graduation this spring working to get some sort of deployment but will also look into seeing what other courses I can take such as emt. Thanks

USAF286 likes this.
  16. pahapoika

Try to get the job you want before starting a family. Chances are once the wife and kids come along you'll be stuck working whatever job you have.
    And of course having a spouse that's cool with your occupation.
    Not all of them are.

mpd61, kdk240, Joel98 and 3 others like this.
  17. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Where are you looking to work?

18. visible25

I'm choosing to be stupid and go against what 99% of you tell me and stay in the Northeast region. Also due to the reserves I am limited to how far I can go from my duty station

19. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Have you ever considered the exciting field of TV REPAIR?

20. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

If you don't self sponsor, I would look and ask around about some of the civil service towns to see where they are at. You only need 10% for dvet preference, I know a guy who got 10% for razor burn/stubble from constant shaving in the military. Bullshit, I know, but he was looking out for himself and I can't say I blame him, and no it wasn't me. I know Bourne has like 6 guys on FTO and are trying to put more on after that. I heard that one set of hires through them recently there were no residences of the town and all vets. Full time, sent them all to full time academy.

Goose and visible25 like this.
  21. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

You can go as far away from your reserve unit as you want. You just need to find one eventually when you get to wherever you go - worst case is you go into the IRR. You just need to communicate with your unit(s) and do the right paperwork. The reserves cannot prevent you from moving.

I'm retired from the reserves myself - did 24 years - and I moved to different states and found new units. Not really a big deal.

visible25 likes this.
  22. pahapoika

At least go out and visit.
    Ya never know :cool:

LA Copper, Kilvinsky and Goose like this.
  23. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

I just hope in 10 years you don't look back and regret making this decision.

24. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

A ton of good advice given as always on here. Take all of it and analyze it and really think about what you want. This state and the North east is difficult. Now knowing what I know about this state and l.e. in general, and even though I eventually got on, if I were young again , I'd move west or south and at least get my feet wet instead of sticking in this messed up state you can eventually try and come back this way.
    I had a friend who was on my job..in fact we grew up together. Left the pd here after a trip down south to fl. Got on down there and never looked back. And he's making Decient coin too. I wish I had gone at the time before I had a wife and kids. Point is there are other good options and take what's right for what you really want. If you want it, be open to other alternatives. Sorry for the long rant and good luck.

LA Copper, pahapoika, Goose and 2 others like this.
  25. visible25

You and I both...

And thanks to everyone else who's contributed. Despite choosing to begin up here, I still am open to changing it up down the road if it's not looking promising.

Joel98, LA Copper and pahapoika like this.