K-9 Officers Final Tour Of Duty Posts

Discussion in 'Final Tour of Duty' started by Hb13, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Hb13

Hb13 MassCops Member

Please keep his handler in your thoughts.

CHP: Man Jumps From Bridge During Pursuit, Kills Police Dog

POSTED: 8:49 pm PST December 31, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:33 pm PST December 31, 2007

CORONADO, Calif. -- The California Highway Patrol said a man jumped from a bridge during a pursuit on Monday night with a police dog.
    The CHP said the man survived the fall from the top of the Coronado Bridge, but the dog, named Stryker, died.

Police said the pursuit began about 6:45 p.m. Monday in Oceanside on State Route 76 with a report of a man driving erratically.

The man picked up speed at College Avenue. He ran through an intersection and crashed into another vehicle during the pursuit.

California Highway Patrol Officer Larry Landeros said the pursuit continued onto southbound Interstate 5 and onto the Coronado Bridge where the driver came to a stop.

The man stopped at the top of the Coronado Bridge. Oceanside police let Stryker go when it appeared the man was heading toward them. The man then picked up the dog and jumped about 200 feet over the side of the bridge shortly before 7:30 p.m.

Harbor police rescued the man from the water and transported him to the University of California, San Diego Medical Center. Landeros said the man had bite wounds.

Authorities recovered the police dog's body from the water.
    The driver faces multiple charges.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. BB-59

BB-59 MassCops Member

Re: K-9 Officer Killed in line of duty.

The K9 should have lived and the driver should have stayed in the water.

3. Simon

Simon Guest

RIP Stryker............

4. Hb13

Hb13 MassCops Member

Does any one else agree that this should have stayed in the officer down thread? I personally feel that K-9s are leo just the same as the two legged comrades,

5. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

Was this moved? If so I'll pull some strings and get it moved back (well, I'll find out the reasoning prior to it being moved)...were you given any notice of the move?

Regardless, what a piece of scum. RIP pup!

6. Hb13

Hb13 MassCops Member

Yeah i got a pm saying it was moved, i just thought it should be in the officer down section.
    also i saw that the maryland trooper that was killed was put into this section as well.

7. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

I'll look into it.

8. screamineagle

screamineagle Masscops Therapist

you do that, punk.

9. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

fight!

10. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

"C[SIZE=+2]alled to give my all[/SIZE]"
    I[SIZE=+2] am a deputy in a canine crew,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]I've been trained to see it through,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]When dangers near my ears perk up,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]They taught me that as a little pup.[/SIZE]
    I[SIZE=+2]'m often there to protect your rights,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]My presence sometimes hinders fights.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]I never attack with thoughts to kill,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]When subduing one, my job I fill.[/SIZE]
    I[SIZE=+2] never worry a single thought,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]as to how I'll fare at a certain spot,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]The love I have for a handler's care,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]is all I need each day to fare.[/SIZE]
    A[SIZE=+2]nd if someday my luck turns bad,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]I'll relish all the joys I've had,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]To be with men who stand for good,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]in a special kind of brotherhood.[/SIZE]
    T[SIZE=+2]he story's end by now you know[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]of how i tried for a better show,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]I did my best though I did fall,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]When I was called to give my all.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Author Unknown[/SIZE] Poem Compliments of:
    K9 Beauty's Pad

R.I.P. Stryker

11. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 111K+Poster

Check your PM's it will explain why it was moved.

12. kwflatbed

Place your posts here for K-9 officers.
    Add your post with new reply.

Hit-And-Run Driver Kills North Carolina Police Dog

KERNERSVILLE, N.C. --
    Police in Kernersville are looking for a driver they said struck and killed a police tracking dog Monday morning, then drove away from the scene.
    The incident happened around 10:30 a.m. on Dobson Street.
    The four-year-old dog named Jake was owned by Tri-City Trackers, a group that trains and aids the Kernersville police department and other agencies with criminal and rescue tracking, the police department said in a news release.
    Jake's owner, R.V. Wakefield, said he was training the dog "off leash" when the dog got too close to the road and was hit.
    Police are looking for a white Ford F150 pickup with a camper shell.
    Anyone with information is asked to call the Kernersville Police Department.

Story From: wxii12.com

13. badgebunny

badgebunny "Tinkerbell"

Beautiful poem....

:cry:...Rest In Peace Stryker....

My thoughts and prayers go out to Stryker's partner and friend, Officer Landeros and the CHP.

14. Simon

Simon Guest

jettsixx that gave me gOOsebumps........... Thanks.

15. Hb13

Hb13 MassCops Member

Nice poem jet
    thats dead on sniper got me some goose bumps too

16. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

http://www.policepoems.com

This site has some really good poems on there.

I really hope the person who hit this dog does the right thing and comes forward. I hope it was just an accident and not intentional. R.I.P. Jake

17. kwflatbed

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=news_title>Tributes left for San Diego K-9 killed in the line of duty

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=mid>
    By Steve Liewer
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    SAN DIEGO — Several people left flowers yesterday for 6½-year-old Stryker, the department's most experienced police dog, at a memorial for Oceanside officers who have died in the line of duty.

“He was in the prime of his career,” said Officer Greg Rainwater, a former handler. “It's a real tragedy.”
    Stryker, a Belgian Malinois, died on the job about 7:20 p.m. Monday. A drunken-driving suspect whom Stryker had knocked down on the San Diego-Coronado Bridge picked up the 75-pound dog and leapt over the concrete barricade into San Diego Bay.
    Cory Byron, 27, of Vista somehow survived the 200-foot drop, but Stryker did not. Byron is hospitalized at the University of California San Diego Medical Center with a collapsed lung, a California Highway Patrol spokeswoman said. A Harbor Patrol boat fished both out of the chilly waters.
    Byron was arrested on suspicion of causing the death of a police dog, evading arrest and driving under the influence of alcohol, the spokeswoman said.
    Oceanside police said Officer Kedrick Sadler was patrolling with Stryker when he witnessed a traffic accident near Benet Road and state Route 76 about 6:30 p.m. Police say the driver headed south in his GMC pickup on Interstate 5, with Sadler, Carlsbad police and highway patrol officers in pursuit.
    Less than an hour later, the motorist exited I-5 at the bridge and got out of the the truck mid-span. Sadler released Stryker, who police say bit the man and pulled him to the ground. The motorist stood up, grabbed the dog and jumped over the concrete barrier into the bay, the CHP said. It was not clear if the dog had let go of the suspect.
    Stryker's death greatly upset Sadler, said Rainwater, who trained the dog for about six months when it joined the force in 2003.
    Officers spend about 10 hours per day working with their canine partners.
    “You spend more time with the dog than you do your family,” Rainwater said. “Every day you're with that dog, the bond gets stronger.”

<TABLE height=50 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width="90%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]Wire Service</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. Boxer3

Boxer3 MassCops Member

That makes me sick!! Aren't the penalties for killing a Police K-9 the same for killing a human? If not they should be. Figures he lived!!!

19. kwflatbed

Officer Down: K-9 Officer King

[Pineville, Kentucky] [​IMG]

<TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=100 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]

<SMALL>ODMP</SMALL>

Bell Co. (KY) K-9 Deputy Sean Pursifull (left) and his dog, King, pictured with Bell Co.
    Sheriff Bruce Bennett, were both slain Thurs. when a car driven by two teens fleeing
    police hit their patrol car. (AP Photo/Pineville Sun-Cumberland Courier, Allison Garrison)​

Cause of Death: Vehicular Assault
    Incident Details: Deputy Pursifull and his K9 partner, King, were both killed. ​

The two suspects were taken into custody and charged with murder and assault on a service animal.​

End of Watch: Thursday, January 10, 2008​

<HR>
    Teens charged in Ky. deputy's chase death

By The Associated Press ​

PINEVILLE, Ky. — Two teenagers were charged with murder Thursday after they led police on a high-speed chase in southeastern Kentucky and hit a parked sheriff's cruiser, killing the deputy and K-9 dog inside, authorities said. ​

The driver drove away from an Exxon gas station in Baxter without paying at 12:35 a.m., authorities said. Police followed the car at least 10 miles west on U.S. 119 into a neighboring county. ​

State police said two state troopers attempted to stop the speeding driver. ​

The teen's car veered over the center line and rammed into a cruiser parked on the shoulder waiting to join the pursuit, killing Ball County Sheriff's Deputy Sean Pursifull, 31, and his K-9 dog King, state police said. ​

The 17-year-old driver, from Delaware, and a 16-year-old passenger from Pennsylvania were slightly injured. ​

Both were released from a hospital and jailed in the Adair County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of murder and assault on a service animal. ​

20. K917

K917 MassCops Member

RIP K9 Stryker, a Loyal Guardian of the Night

21. kwflatbed

Memorial Service Held for Fallen San Diego K-9

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>IBS/KNSD-TV

Police K-9 Stryker was killed on New Year's Eve in a fall from the Coronado Bridge following a police pursuit.

SAN DIEGO --
    An emotional service was held Monday at Camp Pendleton, where SoCal police dogs and their handlers gathered to say goodbye to Stryker, an Oceanside police dog killed in the line of duty.
    Many of the people who turned out support the Oceanside Police Department, while others were simply animal lovers who came out to pay their respects.
    Stryker, a 6-year-old Belgian malinois, had been with the force for five years and had several different handlers. The last person he was paired with was Officer Kedrick Sadler. He said he lost a family member when Stryker died.
    "I'm still hurting inside," Sadler said. "But I plan on moving on, and I'm doing the best I can without Stryker."
    Stryker was killed on New Year's Eve in a fall from the Coronado Bridge following a police pursuit.
    The man accused of leading authorities on that chase, Cory Byron, 27, of Vista, jumped from the bridge, allegedly grabbing the dog as the K-9 attempted to take him down. Byron is charged with two felonies, reckless evading police officers and cruelty to animals, in connection with the death of Stryker. He also is charged with driving under the influence, according to prosecutors. Byron is being held on $1 million bail.
    Stryker died on impact, following the 200-foot fall. Byron survived, suffering a collapsed lung.
    Oceanside police have established a fund they said will be used to support the K-9 program, in Stryker's honor. Anyone wishing to contribute can simply send a check made payable to the City of Oceanside with "K-9 Fund" referenced in the memo section. The donations can also be brought to the police department.
    The mailing address is:
    • Oceanside Police Department
    • Attention: Lt. Fred Armijo
    • 3855 Mission Avenue
    • Oceanside, CA 92054
    Story From: nbcsandiego.com

22. sherifflittle

sherifflittle MassCops Member

23. sherifflittle

GOD bless all that paid the ultimate price...

24. Deputydog522

Deputydog522 MassCops Member

25. sherifflittle

stryker thank you boy