Language Fluency

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by LtColFarva, Dec 31, 2016.

1. LtColFarva

LtColFarva New Member

Hey Masscops.

I'll be taking the upcoming Civil Circus and, for the first time, putting down Spanish for my language fluency. There were some other threads about this, but they were all multiple years old. I'm curious about a few things:

Does anybody know:

-Any particular departments looking for Spanish speakers? I live in Boston so I'm hoping for either them or the State. I know Boston has a ton of Spanish speaking residents so I might be SOL there.

-How exactly they test/determine fluency? I know the Department of State, the military, and (presumably) other organizations have specific tests, proficiency levels, etc. Just wondering if there's a Civil Service standard or this is up to individual police departments.

All thoughts/opinions/wild ass guesses/irrelevant ballbusting appreciated!

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Civil Service pulls candidates statewide now; you get residency preference still. You no longer choose the cities and towns you want to work for.

If someone pulls a list and sends a card for a city you don't want to work or relocate for then don't respond to their card, simple as that.

3. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 Supporting Member

Had a friend get evaluated for fluency at Brookline PD a few years ago. They had a high school Spanish teacher ask questions and did an evaluation. You did need to speak fluently. Struggling through wasn't enough.

4. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Those speaking Klingon and Dothraki don't get called much, I'm sure, although I bet it would help enormously at MIT, WPI and a few other schools.

Goose, DNorth and pahapoika like this.
  5. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

If you have to ask, you probably aren't qualified.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  6. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Brockton used to have a Spanish speaking officer interview you for your background in Spanish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk