lateral transfer

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by braxton5, Mar 26, 2016.

1. braxton5

braxton5 New Member

I am a full time police officer in a western mass city and have been for approx 3 years. I have been looking to lateral transfer out east near boston for family reasons. Does anybody know what departments take lateral's and how to go about the process. Brookline, watertown, medford, natick, etc. are some of the departments i have in mind, Brookline probably being the first choice.

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I'd check the job postings on Extranet. Once you apply , all you need is both chiefs to be on-board and sign the transfer , otherwise its a no go

3. felony

felony MassCops Member

Brookline doesn't take laterals. If you work for a CS department, the town administrator can deny your transfer. So if the town administrator wants to be a dick, he can deny your transfer and you have no recourse.

4. braxton5

braxton5 New Member

thanks. Does anyone know which cities or towns in the Boston area take laterals regularly? I've looked on extranet before but alota the jobs I see on there are for dispatchers and shit not for full time patrolman, and Ive rarely seen any postings on there for departments in the boston area

5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Tewksbury closest one listed now

6. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

I know one person who transferred to Boston PD from NYPD, but I have no idea if they still do it.

7. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

He didn't transfer. He got hired off the list and went to the BPD academy.

8. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

How is that possible? Don't you need Boston residency to be on the BPD civil service list but you obviously couldn't live in Boston and work for NYPD.

9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Maybe a person that their parent was a deceased police officer

10. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Resigned from NYPD and moved back to the city prior to the exam.

woodyd likes this.
  11. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Just curious. Did he do 4 yrs down there and come back ?

12. felony

felony MassCops Member

Framingham constantly takes laterals. A moderator on this forum is a detective for them, he can provide more insight. I am not sure of the pay scale for them. The Transit PD posted in 2013 for laterals, you can try talking to the chief, to see if they are still open to the idea.

13. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

That was not a transfer, but he was hired off list.

14. rireserve

rireserve MassCops Member

Revere was looking for transfers awhile back. Cambridge would be another place to try.

15. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

This is Framingham's CBA Collective Bargaining Agreements | Town of Framingham, MA Official Website
    263 could tell you more but FPD seems like a solid, squared away dept. They may be leaving CS at some point in the future, which would mean they wouldn't be taking laterals per say, but could hire an experienced guy directly. Not sure if they have started their SWAT team back up, I know the last Chief disbanded it before retiring.

16. felony

felony MassCops Member

Framingham is a busy, proactive department. However, they have a terrible contract, a 3% raise over a three year period is bad, $38 hr for a detail? That's insane, 1 personal day, barely any longevity and according to article 45 of the contract, the town can remove them from Civil Service at any time, without negotiations.

They do have a education incentive, although on the low end is better than nothing. Oddly enough, the contract does not state starting patrolmans pay.

Framingham has more then enough business in town to generate a decent starting pay, plus it's not cheap to live there. Rental properties are expensive, as well as single family homes. I hope next contract time, they get some real money in there.

woodyd likes this.
  17. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

That is true, the contract does leave a lot to be desired, for all the reasons you pointed out. The detail rate is ridiculous, most places are near/over 50 by now. Night differential is nothing spectacular either. About the only real positive in the CBA is the 5 and 3 workweek. I would have hoped that the union could have gotten $ in exchange for agreeing to leave CS, as that request from the town usually gives the union some leverage.

18. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Framingham has been underpaid for years. It's to the point now where a Natick patrolman makes more than a Framingham Sgt. It's a good busy dept. But your paycheck will suffer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

felony likes this.
  19. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I'd take the pay cut to not work for their Chief.

20. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Why would anyone want to go to a place that you work harder for less money? Doesn't make any sense

MiamiVice and mpd61 like this.
  21. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Oh come on now......remember when you wanted to leave heaven to be the junior guy in Brockton?:eek:

j809 and BxDetSgt like this.
  22. felony

felony MassCops Member

I believe every surrounding town (Southboro, Ashland, Natick, Sherborn, Marlboro, Sudbudy, Wayland) makes more starting. Even if you were to compare departments of similar sizes, (Taunton, Fall River, New Bedford etc) they are still on the low end. Like I said, hopefully they get a decent increase soon, they definitely deserve it!

23. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Yeah but Brockton was $87k base with Quinn and night diff!!

mpd61 likes this.
  24. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Wow!!!! Does the Massasoit Chief make that much!?!?
    :p

j809 likes this.
  25. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Maybe by now he does!!!

mpd61 likes this.