LTC reciprocity

Discussion in 'Law Review' started by Curious EMT, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Curious EMT

Curious EMT Subscribing Member

OK first, i think i spelled reciprocity wrong, but cant get spell check to work.

So, hypothetically, im issued an LTC by the Comm of Ma. I want to go into RI to go shoppng or whatever. What must I do to lawfuly C.C. in RI? Or any of our other neighbors? Do I need to get an LTC from that state? OR what?

Also, MUST I go to the police dept that I live in, or can I go to any other one to apply? Theory that maybe if I go to a smaller dept it would be less of a hastle rather than dealing with a "larger" department / building / bla bla bla. Thanks

2. Southside

Southside Subscribing Member

If you are going shopping, why do you need your gun?

3. Wolfman

Wolfman "Ultima Ratio Civis" Staff Member

Maybe he's buying bullets and wants to try them on & make sure they fit. :idea:

As it stands, you would need to contact the state in which you intend to travel and find out what their requirements are. Some may allow you to carry under your MA LTC, some may require you get one of theirs, some may tell you you cannot carry at all. Welcome to the wonderful world of sovereignty.

4. Gil

Gil Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Packing.org. This is a great place to find out how to legally carry a concealed weapon, if it is possible in your state. We also try to discuss issues related to carrying in the news and talk sections.

http://www.packing.org/

5. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

To answer the other question..........................

Since the Act of 1998, you can apply for an LTC in either your town in which you reside and that municipality in which you are employed.
    :wink:

6. Curious EMT

Curious EMT Subscribing Member

Thank you very much, ill have to do some research thanks for all the answers

7. patroldan81

patroldan81 MassCops Member

I do not think this is totaly correct. I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong... But, I believe the new ACT states it must be from the town you reside or the town/city in which a person has a place of business. (140/129B) My. Dept. used to issue it's officers the LTC but under the new law we must now go through the town in which we reside.

8. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

The State of Connecticut requires you be licensed and does not honor any reciprocity. First you obtain a permit from the Chief of a local CT community-and its his discertion if he gives you one or not since you have to be a resident. Then you take the local permit and apply to the State for a statewide permit. I have had one for over 5 years now and that was the process I had to follow....it was only done with 2 things in mind.

1. I live in spitting distance from CT & have family work there.

2. As an added legal backup JUST IN CASE God forbid I am in CT while on duty and have to shoot. I know there are all kinds of legal protections for on duty, out of state but a little extra insurance never hurt. If some slick lawyer ever tried the old "do you have a permit for the State of CT"? my answer could be a resounding YES.

9. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

Last I knew (early 2001) for a MA resident to carry legally in RI he/she must obtain an RI LTC (the only exception is a law enforcement officer on official duty). The process for obtaining is a RI LCT for an out of stater was to write the AG stating why you feel you need to carry a firearm in RI (usually its for employment reasons). Once the AG approves the request you have to qualify on a range. At the time it was taking a long wait (about 6 months).

10. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

It's nice to have when customer service is bad or you wanna convince the manager to lower their prices... :shock:

11. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

HR 218 if you are LEO has past yupee!!!! Who the F%#k cares what RI, CT etc....say

12. ryan933

ryan933 MassCops Member

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:51 am:

Southside, that makes no sense at all. Do you think shopping malls are safe havens where nothing bad could ever happen? :roll:

HR 218 allows cops to protect themselves and their families anytime, and virtualy anywhere in the US. If shopping malls are so safe, I suppose HR 218 should be amended to exclude shopping malls from the locations where off duty cops can carry.

The fact of the matter is that yes, cops have some unique concerns in terms of protection from vindictive perps. However, EVERY law abiding citizen should have the right to protect themselves and their family at all times. Hence the need for LTC reciprocity.

Ryan

13. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree 100% with the green/redskin man. Screw the anti-gun states! I'll be riding around like Marshall Dillon now!
    :D

14. anesthes

anesthes MassCops Member

It took me a few minutes to stop laughing over Southsides post you replied to.

"why would you need a gun while shoping?" Oh jeez I dunno. Lets see. Leaving your home, going to a place (poissibly at night) in an area your not familiar with, with money. Hrmm. Might you be a target ?? No never.. But hey, if you scream "fire" loud enough, just maybe someone might run over to help you before the attacker has stabbed you 5 or 6 times.

In just one year as an officer, i've been to enough crime scenes to know everyone has a right to defend themself. I'm glad your town is just so peachy, we're all jealous.