Ma Dept of Public Health Campus PO

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by masscopguy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. masscopguy

masscopguy Guest

How To Apply:

Mail cover letter and resume to:

Health Office of Human Resources – Lemuel Shattuck Hospital
    170 Morton Street
    Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Attn: Jane Gaspard

Fax # 617-971-3033

If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service at 617-971-3531

Check out the Ma dept of HR web site at https://jobs.hrd.state.ma.us
  2. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Salary Range:$29,616.08 to $38,562.94 Annually
  3. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

You have to be nuts to work there for that amount of money..
  4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Everyone has to start somewhere.
  5. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

It was a joke, since you will be patrolling the Mental Health building as well..and yes you are right you gotta get your foot in the door some how..
  6. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

LoL
  7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I must be slow on the uptake this evening, I just saw "Public Health" and not "Lemuel Shattuck".

If I were just out of high school/military/college, I would be thrilled with that pay & job, especially if I were still living at home
  8. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

absolutely....
  9. westie

westie Guest

You will never find a more DANGEROUS CAMPUS in Mass...
    If you think working for the $ is CrAzY your right, but you will never get experince like this anywhere else unless you work Aera B2,or B3 for Boston... Doubt me? Try It.. (Drugs,Weapons, Fights,DK's to the Max, and Crazy People Everywhere) put it this way, you know when you walk down the street and a bad ass thug who you know is out of his ming and could go off at any time is comming in your direction, so you cross the street cause you may feel afraid? well that thug lives @ the Shattuck!
  10. Deputydog522

Deputydog522 MassCops Member

I have heard it is a wild place to work and a real good place to gain experience. I work with someone that worked as a Campus Police Officer there and said he really liked it. Every shift was different, and he has not worked a police job to where he has madw that many arrests that he did at the Shattuck. he told me that they are reallt proactive toward officers making arrests. Also if youwanna go to the SSPO they will send you. And if you do not then I hear they do not care if you go as long as you have the Reserve Academy.
  11. mschumann

mschumann MassCops Member

i would personally love the chance to get my foot in the door with a position like this... Im only waiting until I finish my SPO training to start applying
  12. SC8094

SC8094 Guest

Are they armed?
  13. rocksy1826

rocksy1826 MassCops Member

That place is generally gross. Gotta love the Infectious Disease unit and then the unit just jammed full of TB patients only.

I've got nothing but nice things to say about Shattuck police though. Very nice and helpful bunch.

(except westie, who is very nice, helpful... but still generally a pain in the ass :FM: )
  14. HELPMe

HELPMe Subscribing Member

SPO training? What is that? 26k a year is WAY too low for anyone in their right mind to drive into that city or take the train and still generate an income. Also are they armed? A LTC is not required so I am guessing not.
  15. Deputydog522

Deputydog522 MassCops Member

No they are not armed. They carry OC and Baton, ASP. They are in the LAPD uniform and they have a ford taurus cruiser.And I agree it is a dump and very dirty,and you will see messed yup things but a good place to gain experience. They always hire at least 3 to 5 times a year. I work with someone that worked there and was there for a few years and went to another state job. You gotta look at that it is a state job and it opens many doors for you.
  16. masscopguy

masscopguy Guest

In the recent past, when they have hired a new officer they have used them as a long term undercover operative. You mix in with the patients who are there for drug rehab and other services and find people who are dealing in and around the hospital. From what I hear, there is a lot of drug activity there. The undercover assignment usually lasts a year.

They have had a hard time keeping people after they have completed the SSPO academy.

They were considering not sending them but I don't think that is going to happen
  17. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

Any detox unit is going to have drugs going in and out of it. Its kind of funny but obvious in a way, how desperate these addicts are. OTOH Shattuck Police should be happy they are armed with Bats and OC. The "hospital security" and I use the term security very losely, they are mostly lock and key guys, carry nothing and have no power where I work. Give the State Facility a break, with out the state facility we would have a lot more people stuck in private hospitals. We would be keeping people for years instead of 6-8 months in the private hospital waiting for a state bed. What do you expect for a hospital who will take patients no one else will take, thus barely making any money.
  18. YONKERS-PD

YONKERS-PD Guest

this is a good job if you want to stay here or better yourself for further police jobs down the line the starting rate blows but that's why they always have o.t. 24/7. plus it's a state job with state benny,s so if you still think this job sucks stay at home and watch cops...:baby21:
  19. deputybrosie

deputybrosie MassCops Member

Are the campus police at the Shattuck armed??
  20. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

No. When the students there misbehave they simply throw the book at them.
  21. cheezsta

cheezsta MassCops Member

Hey i took the entrance exam yesterday for the Dept. Public Health. The staff looks pretty squared away and the i love their uniforms, I really wish they wear armed. They are really in a tough spot were they ar at at. Anyway i thought the test was a joke 33 questions and some even made me laugh but hey thats civil service for you. i currently work with a PD now but i am seriously thinking about joining if i get a call. Anyone who works there now PM me I have some questions to ask.
  22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The test you took was not a civil service exam.
  23. cheezsta

cheezsta MassCops Member

Well the woman whom I spoke with before I took the exam stated it was a civil service exam and based on some of the questions on the exam it was very similar. I could be wrong but I am just going on what I was told.
  24. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The job probably has civil service protection, the same way a laborer for a city DPW does, but all true civil service exams are posted here;

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=hrdsubt...l Service&L2=Examination Information&sid=Ehrd
  25. cheezsta

cheezsta MassCops Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I see what you mean. I had known about the Department before and didnt know you had to take and exam. I then asked what was the exam and the woman responded it was a civil service exam. I understand the difference now.