Marijuana and hiring/employment.

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by Rogergoodwin, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

Anyone aware of any policies with their department being adopted, since the legalization of marijuana, pertaining to the hiring process or current officers? My department has not addressed it at all, just wondering if that was the typical response.

2. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I know when "medical" marijuana was legalized most Depts still banned it. Medical Marijuana – Not for Cops? | Sandulli Grace
    If Chiefs wouldn't go for medical marijuana, I can't see recreational pot being ok

Joel98 and Goose like this.
  3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

We were told recently at in-service despite marijuana being legal in Massachusetts it's still a federal offense so don't get any ideas about lighting up :cool: :p :D
    The instructor said it half jokingly, but for some reason thought it needed to be said .o_O

CapeSpecial, Joel98 and Goose like this.
  4. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Some more info Legal or not, South Shore police chiefs say cops can't use pot

Personally I'm split on this issue. On one hand, I'm 100% anti-marijuana, and have voted against all three ballot questions to decriminalize and legalize pot. I have no desire to use it, and no desire to work with stoner coworkers.
    On the other hand, I'm sick of the double standards for Cops vs civilians and how much shit that the sheep get away with these days (blocking I-93 at rush hour, CWOFs in court, etc). I'm hoping that Trump's DOJ starts enforcing Marijuana laws federally.

5. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

Its BS cops cant use marijuana if there is a legitimate medical purpose, despite that its no different than booze. I hope someone sues these asshole Chiefs!

Treehouse413 likes this.
  6. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

7. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

My department (and most others that I know of) have adopted new policies stating employees cannot use marijuana. I agree with these policies 100%.

I cannot wait until Trump's DOJ and DEA start raiding all these marijuana 'dispensaries' in states where it's legalized, including here in MA.

8. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Huh? I'm not working alongside a freaking pothead.

PBC FL Cop and Fuzzywuzzy like this.
  9. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

My dept. Has a zero tolerance policy on the use of Marijuana for all employees including the few civilians we have.

10. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Think of it like the tobacco ban. Still totally legal, but plenty of departments don't allow the use of tobacco.

PBC FL Cop, pahapoika and Joel98 like this.
  11. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Exactly, you nailed it brother.

12. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Smoking tobacco. Please leave the dippers alone.

kdk240 likes this.
  13. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

I was told (by a reliable source) that federal law prohibits marijuana use by law enforcement.
    I'm with Joel98. I don't want my backup to be stoned.

You wanna smoke some weed? Get a job at Burger King.

kdk240, Goose, woodyd and 3 others like this.
  14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

And everyone else for that matter.

woodyd and Goose like this.
  15. Treehouse413

Stoned or drunk what's the diff.

16. Crazy Otto

Might want to read the title of the thread, son. Kinda specific.

For the record, I do not want my backup to be stoned, drunk, distracted, dopey, bashful, sleepy, sneezy or grumpy. Happy and Doc are welcome to back me up any time.

17. Goose

pahapoika likes this.
  18. sgtmike1980

Neither do I, but then we should do the same with booze, I don't want my backup drunk. But if your smoking weed for a medical reason you shouldn't be working at all. Obviously it would be prescribed by a Dr. and follow all the same guide lines we would follow when using medications that would not allow us to be at work.

Rogergoodwin likes this.
  19. sgtmike1980

No smartass I don't want to smoke weed. I want people to have it if they need it for medical reasons.

20. sgtmike1980

There is no difference son, its the same. Medications, Alcohol, and well Marijuana would obviously be treated the same. It would take a little common sense which says you can't either medicate while you on duty or driving, you know like drinking booze lol, Jesus is that so hard to understand. Legalize Marijuana all the way, I don't use it but its no different than beer.

HuskyH-2 and Rogergoodwin like this.
  21. sgtmike1980

22. Goose

What makes you think I have one? Last I checked, cops are supposed to be ethical.

Joel98 and woodyd like this.
  23. Treehouse413

One of my closet friends on the job had cancer and fought hard but lost after 15 years. I watched the guy pop oxy like they were f-in Pez candies because of his constant pain. In my opinion I'd rather see someone smoke weed then have to be depdent on that shi$.Funny thing is he was old school and would've never smoked.

24. Treehouse413

My point is son weed and booze are the same.

25. Crazy Otto

And my point is that they are NOT the same.

Joel98 and Goose like this.