Marijuana and hiring/employment.

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by Rogergoodwin, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

I disagree.

Joel98 likes this.
  2. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Guess we'll agree do disagree.

3. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

No one wants to be backed up by someone stoned. But calling everyone who smokes weed a stoner, is like calling everyone that has an occasional drink, a drunk.

4. Rogergoodwin

Your source might not be that reliable, because there's no federal law that specifically addresses law enforcement and marijuana use.

5. Rogergoodwin

I wouldn't necessarily consider someone with a difficult disease that uses marijuana to be unethical.

sgtmike1980 likes this.
  6. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

How about - if you wanna toke up - then go for your pre employment work - good luck to you !! Peace out !

Joel98, HistoryHound and Goose like this.
  7. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Agreed, they are nowhere close to being in the same category.

8. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

No Chief is going to knowingly allow his officers to violate federal law.

Good luck with that one...

9. Rogergoodwin

I agree. From an LE standpoint your going to deal with a lot more crimes involving alcohol use.

BxDetSgt and AveragePoliceMan like this.
  10. Rogergoodwin

Please cite the law that specifically addresses LEO's and marijuana.
    Good luck with that...

11. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Do cops carry guns? There ya go.

BxDetSgt, Joel98, Kenny and 1 other person like this.
  12. Treehouse413

So with that theory you can't get issued a LTC if you have a medical marijuana card or are the casual smoker in MA.

Joel98 likes this.
  13. felony

felony MassCops Member

It's bad enough the public is getting stoned and driving, we don't need cops doing the same thing. Cops cant smoke butts either, but yet the public can. Smoking a joint, which is still smoking, is just as bad health wise as cigarettes. Like others have said, federally its still illegal and if you want federal grant money, I suggest your department keep it out of the hands of its officers.

The edibles are what really concerns me, odorless, and with potent THC, its a recipe for disaster. They will intoxicate you for hours. Once these pot shops go online in 2018, were going to have a epidemic with edibles. Right now its just black market weed or medical marijuana. Wait until its readily accessible.

Goose, woodyd and Joel98 like this.
  14. Treehouse413

at some point some department will have that guy/girl who will be the test case. It will be interesting and this is Mass so nothing will surprise me.

15. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

A friend of mine a Veteran with PTSD was hitting the bottle hard for years after his deployment as most people do in my exporence, but eventually got his medical marijuana card for PTSD, Sleep or whatver else. Now he drinks very little and eats edibles. He has his shit togeather makes good money in his profession (not law enforcement). He has made comments here and there whenever I have a good story about work for him and he will comment like he sometimes wants to become a law enforcement officer but itsnt willing to drop the eddibles any time soon. You have to pick a side I guess. Once these stores are put in and its "recreational" I wonder how long till special units are going to be made to deal with it. I would say sign me up! But my department wont have anything todo with something like that if put in placeā€¦:(

Joel98 likes this.
  16. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

This 100% ^^^^^

17. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED!

[​IMG]

pahapoika, j809 and Goose like this.
  18. Rogergoodwin

No one disputes that driving under the influence is bad, but we're not talking about that. Just the occasional use off duty.

And taking a few hits on the weekend cannot compare health wise to smoking a pack a day.

AveragePoliceMan likes this.
  19. Rogergoodwin

How many domestics, car accidents, fights, etc have to responded to where the involved individuals were drunk?

Now how many times were they high on weed?
    And people actually want to compare marijuana and alcohol from an LE perspective?

AveragePoliceMan likes this.
  20. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

Relax, it was a joke.

21. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Rediculous a guy can fail his drug test for whatever, keep his job, but smoke a butt and your fired.

pahapoika and felony like this.
  22. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

I don't know if you're a cop or not, but if you are a cop, and you're actively advocating for the violation of federal law on a public forum, I'd be very careful if I were you.

You don't want your chief or command staff to see this, or a defense attorney. Because the next time you make a drug arrest (any kind of drugs), you will lose all credibility in court and the defense attorney will call for a mistrial. These forums are public and are discoverable by a defense attorney or by a court. And if you don't think a defense attorney will pull something like that, you have a lot to learn.

If you're not a cop, then these forums are discoverable by a background investigator.

And if you think you're anonymous on an online forum.....you can keep believing that.

Kilvinsky, Goose and woodyd like this.
  23. Rogergoodwin

Haha my personal opinion on a debate about whether or not marijuana should be allowed by LEO's in no way undermine's my ability to do the job. I can imagine how that would play out in court.
    "Your honor, this officer believes that since marijuana is legal, LEO''s should be able to smoke"
    Judge "so he has an opinion, who cares? Sit the fuck down"
    Don't be afraid to have your own opinion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    HuskyH-2 and sgtmike1980 like this.
  24. Rogergoodwin

And when did I advocate for violating a federal law? By saying that LEO's should have the right to smoke, implies that I believe the laws/policies should reflect my belief.

25. felony

felony MassCops Member

Well, we just took a left turn on this thread. The marijuana vs alcohol argument, has been going on for decades. I have encountered numerous occasions, where suspects were drunk and disorderly and the booze is the primary factor. OUI crashes, fights, domestics etc. I have also participated in several narcotic investigations, where marijuana is almost always present, when I find coke, pills, heroin etc. The suspects in possession of the marijuana, while possessing those other illegal narcotics, almost always have firearms, ABDW charges, distribution charges, etc. Alcohol vs marijuana to me, is apples and oranges.

As far as the smoking cigarettes vs smoking marijuana argument, it has been medically proven that smoking a "blunt" is just as harmful, if not more harmful then smoking a cigarette. You're still putting a foreign substance into your lungs, that will cause cancer/ lung disease, decrease lung function etc. Granted if you were a cigarette smoker, you would smoke far more cigarettes in a day then blunts.

IMHO, if you medically need marijuana, then your doctor should be able to prescribe THC pills or some type of edible for your pain. Would your doctor recommend you take up smoking cigarettes to deal with your stress? Then why would they recommend you smoke marijuana? Its hypocritical.

To put the issue to rest, for me I can't smoke cigarettes because I wasn't hired in the 80's, but the public can. It is against Federal Law to possess/use marijuana, so for that reason I don't see any police departments allowing its officers to use it. End of my rant.

Goose, Joel98 and Danusmc0321 like this.