Marijuana and hiring/employment.

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by Rogergoodwin, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

I see what your saying. I just think smoking one blunt on a weekend is no where near as bad as smoking a pack a day. But regardless, if we're talking banning unhealthy habits, start with diet and lack of exercise.
    As far as weed being discovered on dealers, your examples didn't really indicate marijuana had a causal effect on them committing their crimes. It's like saying "every drug dealer I've ever arrested had pants on, therefore we should ban pants"

2. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

I don't see the problem with adults smoking occasionally at their residence, or with a medical condition that warrants the use. As long as their life doesn't revolve around it. I've also seen plenty of OUI marijuana, and believe it absolutely affects your ability to react and think quickly. With LE, fact of the matter is your never really off duty that much. If shit hits the fan, you can get called in. If your drunk, you will probably say something and stay home. If you stoned, your probably not going to say anything. If something ever happens "off duty" and you have to use deadly force, good luck with explaining the TCH in your blood and not being civilly sued. And yeah, there's booze but it wears off quicker and a BAC test determines exactly how affected you are. There is also no way to really tell how long after you smoke it still has effects on your brain. So having your blood pulled Monday after smoking on Saturday for a shooting, you are holding yourself liable. Look at the deputy who shot the guy at the Taunton mall "off duty". If his blood wasn't clean you better believe he would held liable even for a good shoot. If cops could smoke, the public and media would have a field day trying to get every case and every fuck up attributed to "stoned cops", and good luck with drug arrests. It's easy to tell if someone is drunk on the job for the most part, being stoned is opening a door for abuse for on the job use and another shitstorm for LE.

Goose and Joel98 like this.
  3. Rogergoodwin

If you got called in while you were high, you wouldn't say anything? If that were me there's no way I'm going in. And I agree that no one should be smoking and driving.

4. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

I agree with this. Thing is, if I have a couple of cold ones on my day off, I'll be "sober" in a few hours. THC stays in your system for something like 30 days. What's the THC intoxication level at 12 hours out? Three days? Three weeks? No one knows and there really isn't a way to tell.
    So, the whole "having a toke is the same as having a beer" doesn't really hold water as far as I'm concerned. Apples and oranges.

Danusmc0321, Goose and Joel98 like this.
  5. Danusmc0321

Well since we are putting words in each other's mouths, I wouldn't tell people your smoking heroin. People Might get the wrong idea.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Goose and Joel98 like this.
  6. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

In regards to the Marijuana being in your system after using it, I think it would be pretty silly not to treat it as you would any other prescription that you took for a legit medical condition. Which means you can't use it while working because you have a medical condition, which means you are on sick leave and can't come back unless you have been medically cleared by a Dr. The only thing I am not sure about is if you would have to take a certain amount of time off, medicate and then wait till a Dr cleared you for work or what. The idea that weed and booze is apples and oranges is ridiculous. The weed stays in your system longer, yes, something like 30 days, but your not intoxicated for 30 days, lol.

Rogergoodwin likes this.
  7. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

But hungover from drinking a gallon of vodka till 2am is ok?

Rogergoodwin likes this.
  8. Rogergoodwin

There's always potential for drug abuse, whether it be alcohol, thc, pain killers, etc. If your in LE and cant exercise good judgement on how to use a recreational drug responsibly, then you probably don't belong in that field to begin with. But considering how few incidents actually arise from people that are high compared to drunk, we're outlawing the wrong drug. Eventually we'll all look back at these days where marijuana is illegal much like we view the prohibition era. It's silly to lock people up for possessing a plant, lets focus on real crimes with actual victims.

sgtmike1980 likes this.
  9. Danusmc0321

I agree with what your saying, for the most part. But even when weed was illegal, a lot of cops usually just used it as an "in" to further investigate the person because criminal activity and weed goes hand in hand in alot of cases. If your willing to break the law, it usually doesn't stop at just having "weed".

I don't think weed is harmless like a lot of people, but for different reason. Especially for kids in the 17-25 year range, and that what makes me worried about having it around more. At an age when you should be bettering yourself with college, learning a skill, meeting people and networking. Some, once they are introduced, and especially now having it become more socially acceptable, end up smoking weed everyday and playing video games and being a shut in in your parents basement. They wake up at 26, and are still smoking daily, living in their parents basement but they are ok with it because the weed makes them feel ok with being lazy. Crime goes up, medical costs go up and taxes go up from this. I've seen this story play out over and over. Yeah, alcohol problems are usually worse to deal with for police than weed and maybe one day the appearance of weed and booze will flip, but we are not there yet, and the public shouldn't view police, making life or death split second decisions using a mind altering substance. Because as I've said before, there is no way to tell how long after you smoked/ate the TCH still affects you.

But saying it's just a natural plant, is bogus. Psychedelic mushrooms are a natural fugus and opium is just a plant. I don't put weed in the same category as opium, but neither do the Feds. Do you believe that for a crime to occur there must be a "victim"?

pahapoika, Goose and Joel98 like this.
  10. Rogergoodwin

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the part about being willing to break the law not stopping at just weed. Most people that I know that smoke weed are good, law abiding, contributing members of society that just happen to smoke an occasional bowl on the weekend. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that since someone is willing to violate the law in that regard, then they 'usually' are willing to engage in worse criminal behavior.
    As far as whether or not there needs to be a victim for something to be considered a crime, that's a complicated matter. But no, there doesn't need to be a victim the way our current laws are set up. The FBI refers to certain crimes as Crimes against society or victimless crimes, like prostitution, illegal alcohol, narcotics, gambling, etc.
    If someone is driving drunk and doesn't hit someone, the victims are the people in that community that had their lives endangered. They would be indirect victims.
    But someone who grows his own marijuana and smokes it responsibly, has committed a crime where there really is no victim. In fact, the only negative that could possibly come from that is a criminal record which inhibits his ability to be a contributing member of society. Jimmy Carter once said that the penalties of possessing a drug should be no more damaging to the individual than the use of the drug itself. Concerning marijuana, that's what was happening before the decriminalization.

11. santana

santana MassCops Member

Agree.

sgtmike1980 and Rogergoodwin like this.
  12. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I got a chance to see a well-known marijuana anti-marijuana doctor who has done tons of studies. Basically, she said that weed has less short term acute effects than alcohol. She said that longer term effects of weed are much worse for people who have a weed habit. Alcoholics are significantly more able to graduate from school, be successful at work, and lead a normal life. People with weed habits have serious issues with everyday life.

Goose, Joel98 and woodyd like this.
  13. Fuzzywuzzy

Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

14. Rogergoodwin

You have to consider causation as well. Are people unsuccessful because they smoke marijuana? Or is it that unsuccessful people with mismanaged priorities are just more likely to engage in illicit drug use? For example, I could say "living in the projects cause you to earn less money". While that may be true, its probably more likely that they live there BECAUSE they make less money.

Also, it doesn't take a Dr to look at graduation statistics among marijuana users. And how does she define a "normal life"? This "well known dr" seems to be fictitious.

Goose, woodyd and patrol22 like this.
  15. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The expert is Bertha k Madras ph. Her most noted work is tracking people in the same positions in life who were alcoholics and people with used marijuana with the same frequency. The alcoholics were able to manage significantly better than the marijuana users. Graduation rates and employment rates were significantly higher for alcoholics than marijuana users.

Joel98 likes this.
  16. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

+1
    If you going to make it in this world you better hit the ground running when you get out of high school..
    They called it "smoking dope" for a reason :p
    It's hard enough trying to make the transition from teenager to adult. Being stoned half the time is not going to help :(

"rant off " :D

Goose, Danusmc0321 and Joel98 like this.
  17. Rogergoodwin

Being stoned half the tone would make anyone's life difficult. But having an occasional smoke or occasional drink won't deter a motivated person from accomplishing their goals.
    Either way, people who can't control themselves with a drug that has very low addictive qualities, shouldn't ruin it for the rest of us. Plus, why waste money fighting the drug war when we can tax it?

pahapoika likes this.
  18. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I am living 80 Proof! :confused:

Edmizer1, Goose and pahapoika like this.
  19. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

This doctor clearly never studied Bostonian's. Every pot smoking former or current drug addict/alcoholic I grew up with all make more money than I do thanks to unions. I'm living paycheck to paycheck meanwhile they're buying houses. . . :confused:

20. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

You're still responding to every post you don't agree with, I see.

We get it, you want to be a pothead, that's fine, do whatever you want to do, this is America and you have that right. You also have the right to NOT be a cop if you partake in that.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, there are plenty of jobs available at Burger King for potheads.

21. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Very true. I always think I should have tried to get in to 103 or sprinkler fitters union.

pahapoika likes this.
  22. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

A friend of mine was in the sprinklers. He quit because he didnt enjoy getting shit housed at lunch time and was hassled for it. Bahaha!

Goose and Danusmc0321 like this.
  23. Danusmc0321

I heard the elevator union is where it's at. 6 figures all day long and you can worked stoned.

Edmizer1, pahapoika and JD02124 like this.
  24. pahapoika

Local 4 ?
    Oh, yeah ! Big Money :cool:

25. pahapoika

Agreed.
    I don't care if somebody lights up after work. Just hate seeing kids smoke that crap or doing any drug for that matter. :(

Rogergoodwin likes this.