Marijuana and hiring/employment.

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by Rogergoodwin, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

Haha the drunk speaks...

2. Rogergoodwin

Opposing opinions are not something to be afraid of, Joel.
    And I love how people that smoke are now destined to work fast food. Most people that I know that smoke are 'high' performing professional's, making more money than us lowly civil servants.

3. Rogergoodwin

I still laugh at this post on occasion. You must be a complete buzz kill to partner with.

4. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

That's a great job. It has it's ups and downs but you can get into some high places! :D

Kilvinsky, pahapoika, Goose and 2 others like this.
  5. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

That's like my uncle that quit his job because he had wage garnishments.

JD02124 likes this.
  6. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Are you basing your experience with weed off of dealing with it on the street as a cop? or just with you and your friends smoking weed. Your point of view is, your view, but one sided if it's the latter. You also hinted at the idea that for a crime there needs to be a victim, or "that's complicated" as you put it... Im a little confused by you, especially when you say "we lowly civil servants", because you sound more like a sovereign citizen then the police.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Joel98 likes this.
  7. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Spoken by the person who has no clue what I'm talking about, and it shows pretty glaringly. But that's okay, you can learn the hard way.

8. Rogergoodwin

I don't let my career define every thought that I have. Marijuana has been decriminalized in mass. If you don't agree with that, your more than welcome to leave the state.

And yes, my point of view is one sided. Who's point of view isn't?

9. Rogergoodwin

You were right, Joel. I was testifying in court the other day and it was terrible. The defense brought up my posts on masscops. Since I, like the majority of people in mass, believe that marijuana should be legal, was ripped apart on the stand. The dealer went free unfortunately. I wish I had listened to you earlier...

10. Rogergoodwin

"that's a complicated matter. But no, there doesn't need to be a victim the way our current laws are set up. The FBI refers to certain crimes as Crimes against society or victimless crimes, like prostitution, illegal alcohol, narcotics, gambling, etc. "

An actual quote with a definitive answer.

11. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

It sucks though when the guy you're working with's elevator doesn't hit all the floors. Then you have to use the stairs.
    I know a cook who's wages were paid in garnishes. Good thing he figured out how to sell parsley to pot heads. :D He's since opened a medical parsley dispensary.

12. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

Or high on pills?

I don't want to work with someone who is impaired, I don't really care what the substance is.

I do find it amusing how everyone looks down on Marijuana but drink and take pills excessively

It's all the same just a different option IMHO.

Peace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rogergoodwin and Kenny like this.
  13. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

"I got my card in 2016, not the department I was waiting for.
    I don't know how you could think that a guy turning down the MSP 4 times with an 83 wasn't a little odd."

Roger your wicked clever, you pick and choose my questions to answer and telling me "I can leave mass". I explained my position just fine, learn reading comprehension, your going to need that one day for this line of work. You never answered my first question, because your a bullshiter. You done a lot of testifying if court since you got your card in 2016 have you? Can't wait for your super smart and funny response that follows. But keep pissing people off here, you told another guy he must be a fun partner. You must be a fun know it all boot to have on FTO. Happy Easter

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Goose and Joel98 like this.
  14. Rogergoodwin

My reading comprehension must be worse than I thought. How does my desire to lateral to a different department mean that I get assigned another FTO? When I said "not the department I was waiting for" that meant I didn't take it. Just so you know, when you get a card for another department, your current department does not assign you another FTO.

At least I hope they don't, because as a current FTO, I don't want to have to deal with the added paperwork associated with training myself. Plus I'm a slow learner.

15. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Yeah he is a bullshitter, and the more he posts the more his bullshit gets exposed.

16. Rogergoodwin

"You don't want your chief or command staff to see this, or a defense attorney. Because the next time you make a drug arrest (any kind of drugs), you will lose all credibility in court and the defense attorney will call for a mistrial"

A bullshitter that at least knows this is not how our courts operate...

17. jt92

jt92 MassCops Member

I don't get why any cop would disagree with marijuana use for officers when tons of cops are seeking mental health help for ptsd and weed has been proven to help with it in service members including myself and friends of mine.

How many booze bag cops are out there whose addiction was created from work stress/trauma? How many of those addictions wouldn't exist if they could've got off their shift and cleared their mind and relaxed with marijuana instead of drinking and adding to their symptoms? How many divorces avoided?

And if you say you "don't want your backup to be stoned", frankly you're a fucking idiot because any cop could be drunk or high on cough medicine or shrooms or something but they don't, or if they do they get fired, so what's the fucking difference? Would cops be more tempted to be stoned at work or something? Probably not.

Idk man I guess there's too many cops out there with the drug war mindset thinking smoking weed is some criminal behavior or unlawful sin while blindly disregarding the benefits, butt-fuckit it's the way she goes I guess you're either gonna agree or disagree. I just think it's a bummer that there are cops out there in a mental prison and using alcohol to deal with it giving them an elevated risk of suicide when there's healthier means of dealing with it :l poor dudes.

Rogergoodwin likes this.
  18. Rogergoodwin

Agree 100%

19. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

The idiocy of this post is astounding.

Joel98 likes this.
  20. Rogergoodwin

Considering the medical profession disagrees with you, do you have a counter-argument?

21. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

I think I stated my position pretty well earlier in this abortion of a thread. I feel no need to further bicker with you over what we disagree on.

Joel98 likes this.
  22. Kilvinsky

It confused the living shit out of me. Maybe if I was stoned I would understand it, but I don't smoke so, I'll forever be in the dark.
    I for one am not ANTI-Pot. I'm certainly not PRO-Pot either. I'm totally indifferent (within the parameters of legal/illegal) People want it legal? Great, now it is. It's been around forever anyway, why not. For small amounts, I've never arrested a soul, and working at an institution of HIGHer education, I've come across a lot. It's not because they were 'our kids' because there have been plenty of non-affiliated people I've caught with small amounts and it's always the same thing, dump it out, grind it into the dirt, you go away with a warning.
    I would never advocate a cop using it only because of the stigma attached, but if a colleague does use it on his time off, so long as I can count on him when the bell rings, so be it. Since it IS legal (at the state level) I can clearly see a law suit by someone denied a job based on it being found in a blood test. It will happen and then, the courts can argue it out.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    pahapoika likes this.
  23. Kilvinsky

I have to add one comment and a short story. A LARGE amount is a different situation. But I've really never caught anyone with a large amount.

One guy did several years ago. He went to a dorm room on a noise complaint. His sole intent was to tell them to turn the music and their voices down and leave. When the kid opened the door (this was long before it was 'legal'), he threw it wide open and immediately began to spout off about his rights and how cops couldn't just walk into his room without a warrant and what right did this cop have banging on his door and...

In the room on the table was a hell of a lot of pot, scales, baggies, pipes and a few other bits of paraphernalia. He called it in and we arrested the kid for poss. intent to dist. and did field interviews on all his friends letting them know that summonses would probably be forthcoming.

My partner said to me after, "If he had only opened the door just a little, listened to me, lowered the music, I'd have been out of there in two minutes. I even told the kid that. The look on his face was priceless."

I've always wondered, was the pot all over the table the basic reason behind his incredible arrogant stupidity? Had he NOT been stoned, he might very well have had a corpse he was dismembering and no one would be the wiser. Funny how things work out.

Joel98 and Goose like this.
  24. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Has nothing to do with weather or not you think it is right, just the seed of doubt it could put in a juries eyes is enough to throw a whole case. Anything you post, that can be attributed to you, can be introduced at trial. I don't know where you work, or what your position is, but these posts could negatively affect ANY trial you are involved in. First officer on a drug involved homicide, DOA from an impaired driver, simple possession charge are all instances where your posts could affect the outcome. Just think and be careful. It is not just your work or cases that could be affected.

Joel98 and Goose like this.
  25. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Roger, it is not as if a defense attorney is going to let you articulate your views. He is going to bring them up in a way that you can only acknowledge that they are yours, but not express you opinions. If you try and express your opinions you will be going into a rabbit hole that can only end badly. You are entitled to your opinions, just don't post them like you are. They may affect your hard work, or the work of others.

Joel98 likes this.