Massasoit Community College Police

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Irishpride, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

This is the posting for the 2nd shift, there is also one for the 3rd shift

Department: Campus Police
    Locations: Brockton, MA
    Posted: Jul 23, '11
    Type: Full-time
    E-mail to a friend
    Job Description:
    MCC Campus Police Officers patrol campus buildings and grounds, investigate crimes and other incidents as directed, enforce traffic rules, direct traffic, and perform other duties as assigned by Chief of Police, superior officers or senior college administrators. Campus Police Officers interact frequently with students, faculty, staff and visitors. Officers are required to carry a College issued firearm when on duty. Officers are assigned on a rotating basis to one of the three shifts and shifts may include weekends and nights. Officers are appointed by the Colonel of the State Police as Special State Officers pursuant to M.G.L. c. 22C, section 63. Upon receiving appointment as a Special State Police Officer Campus Police Officers while performing duties in the buildings and on the grounds of the College have the same police powers to make arrests as State Police Officers.
    For a detailed job description please follow the link: www.mass.edu/forinstitutions/humanresources/classpecs

Requirements:
    Must be eligible to be appointed (warranted) and maintain appointment by the Massachusetts State Police as a Special State Police Officer pursuant to M.G.L. c 22c, section 63( http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/msp/divisions/standards_and_training/certification_unit/special-state-police-equivalency-training-guidelines.pdf) 2. Must possess or have the ability to obtain and maintain a Class A license to carry firearm (M.G.L.c.140, section 131). 3. Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts Drivers License. 4. Strong Interpersonal skills 5. Knowledge of police procedures and practices, the law of arrest and criminal procedures. 6. Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to prepare written reports. 7. Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications as listed in Form 30-Classifications Specifications (available upon request). Form 30 qualifications include, but are not limited to the following: Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others. Ability to deal tactfully with others. Ability to interact with people who are under physical and/or emotional distress. Ability to exercise sound judgment. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Ability to maintain a calm manner in stressful and emergency situations. Ability to lift heavy objects or persons. Must have physical stamina and endurance. Ability to establish rapport with persons from different ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds. Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules and regulations governing assigned unit activities. Ability to adapt to varying work situations. Preference will be given to those candidates who have an Associate’s Degree or higher in Criminal Justice and/or employed as an Auxiliary/Seasonal police officer by a Massachusetts Municipal Police Department with 2 years of work experience. ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND INFORMATION: Annual in service trainings will be required. Items 3, 4, and 5 above are essential for the continued performance of duties.

Additional Information:
    Officers failing to receive a warrant from the State Police to serve as a Special State Police Officer or who may have their warrants suspended during their employment will be subject to dismissal from employment. A failure to maintain a license to carry a firearm and/or a valid driver's license will subject officers to dismissal. Officers whose warrant applications are pending will be assigned duties that do not require Special State Police powers. Female candidates encouraged to apply.
    AFSCME Union position Grade 16 Step 1
    40 Hrs Thursday - Monday 3-11pm shift
    $ 709.35 Wkly - FT State Funded with Benefits
    Posted: July 23, 2011 Closing: August 5, 2011

Application Instructions:
    Please apply on line only at www.massasoit.mass.edu

BY APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS AUTHORIZE MASSASOIT COMMUNITY COLLEGE TO CONDUCT A PRE-INTERVIEW CRIMINAL HISTORY, MOTOR VEHICLE AND/OR SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY CHECKS AND INTERNET SEARCH OR ANY OTHER RESEARCH CONSIDERED NECESSARY TO EVALUATE A CANDIDATE'S QUALIFICATIONS. MASSASOIT COMMUNITY COLLEGE CONDUCTS A COMPREHENSIVE BACKGROUND CHECK.
    Massasoit Community College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Massasoit Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or age in its programs, activities or employment. Ms Joyce Zymaris has been designated as the College’s 504/ADA, Title II, and Title IX Coordinator and may be reached at 508-588-9100 ext. 1304 and her office is located in the upper level of the Administrative Building (Room A234).
  2. Joe1231913

Joe1231913 MassCops Member

Anyone work at his department? I got a few questions...........if you could PM me I would appreciate it.
  3. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Why the hell would you have to maintain a SSPO warrant and be subjuect to discipline or termination when they get full boat L.E authority form Ch 75????????????????????
    mpd61 likes this.
  4. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

Its all MPD61's fault :smug:
  5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Sackless administration.
  6. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Well they have to justify their inflated salaries somehow.
  7. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Aaron, it's actually CH73/S.18 and CH15A/S.22 And you're absolutely right! the school doesn't need the triple redundant and less authority of SSPO except for ONE MAJOR ISSUE: They must keep this requirement in effect, or they will have no justification for not returning a wrongfully terminated Sergeant and indefinately suspended patrolman to work!

In an indirect way it is my fault, because I called Plymouth County CPAC, and watched them DESTROY peoples lives. I have to live with the fact I trusted the "experts" to come in and handle things. I don't know how a certain LT. can even put his head on a pillow at night.
  8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I have no clue as to why a state college/university would require their officers to obtain an SSPO warrant. MGL 41-98 provides me with full police authority in my city, the same as MGL Chapters 73 & 15A do to state campus police.

What is the obsession with SSPO??
  9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

Officers failing to receive a warrant from the State Police to serve as a Special State Police Officer or who may have their warrants suspended during their employment will be subject to dismissal from employment. A failure to maintain a license to carry a firearm and/or a valid driver's license will subject officers to dismissal. Officers whose warrant applications are pending will be assigned duties that do not require Special State Police powers. Female candidates encouraged to apply.

Upon reading this I had a FEELING it was all written for one person in particular. Whoever inserted this crap is a MAJOR BAGGADOUCHE! Not exactly something one sees in a employment ad. Funny it's in THIS one.

---------- Post added at 03:36 ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 ----------

Sociopaths never have a problem sleeping at night. I've met a few and understand how it works, though it sickens me. So, in otherwords, it's my guess the LT. of which you speak is a sociopath and probably took some pleasure in the destruction of another human being. Like I said, I've encountered it, though indirectly (so far).
  10. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

Some schools officers actually got some AFSCME contracts written requiring it several years ago. I was told it was simply a matter of:
    1. "I'm a special state police officer" sounded better than "I'm a campus police officer" when repsonding to public inquiries.
    2. The Trustees/Adminstrations were led to believe there was more authority/less liability with the MSP tie-in.

As we all know now, WRONG!
  11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I "liked" that post for the information, not because I even remotely "like" the reality of that information.
  12. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

It's pretty accurate. Despite MPD's scars, the young interim chief has done some good things for that department. Mostly along the lines of equipment and getting rid of a misogynist yahoo cowboy. Time will tell if this young man can actually fully return this department to what it used to be without the Adminstrative short-circuit.
  13. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

Obviously my remark was toungue and cheek. To the best of my recollection, you were the first to call out this redudant practice. I don't always agree with your views but I'm with you on this one.
  14. mpd61

I love you too!
  15. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

When John Ward left the Chief's job, a HUGE "FLUSH" was heard in the Commonwealth, a flush that kept the water spinning for a few years, sucking everything down the drain within it's grasp.

Maybe things will get back on track and the downward flow will end.
  16. The Bad LT

The Bad LT MassCops Member

Do they send you to the MPTC Full-Time? I thought they used too. After reading the job posting, sounds like they want you to be able to start right away with just the reserve academy and an associates.
  17. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I don't think they do.
  18. The Bad LT

^ That's odd. I know even Quinsig and North Shore send you to the SSPA. Like I said, the job posting makes it sound like a R/I Academy and 60 college credits is all you need to holster up and hit the bricks. Just having that minimum level of training, will not benefit anyone on the department. You cant build a professional officer without a proper foundation.
  19. mpd61

20. The Bad LT

^Hmmm.. I thought Massasoit sent you to the full-time for some reason. The fact that they wont send you to any academy is sad. The R/I and a degree does nothing for you. Learning the "strain theory" or "broken windows theory", wont help you administer MGL.
  21. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

True but it's a police job in MA with good bennies and it starts the clock on the state retirement system. If weren't on the job already I would be all over this
  22. mpd61

"the job posting makes it sound like a R/I Academy and 60 college credits is all you need to holster up and hit the bricks. Just having that minimum level of training, will not benefit anyone on the department. You cant build a professional officer without a proper foundation."

WOW! into paraphrasing the same exact statement without listening to the answers much? Listen again dude;

1. A tangible percentage of the officers currently working there have YEARS of FT experience. They also have relevent degrees and academies.
    2. The new hires are usually a mix of R/I and at least 4000 hours (2 years) FT experience. Maybe one or two will occasionally have R/I and degree, but limited sworn time.
    3. What MPOC Graduate newbie has the lock on "administering MGL" as you put it? Ever hear terms like FTO and senior partner?

In my intimate experience with Massasoit PD of over a decade now I can tell you they have not hired ANYBODY without prior experience, IN ADDITION TO, the R/I and/or degree requirement as well. I don't know why you're barking up this tree. Massasoit is the PREMIER professional PD serving ANY community college.
  23. Joe1231913

Joe1231913 MassCops Member

I had an interview this week. I have to say, the two Sergeants on the interview panel seemed very squared away. If that is indicative of the rest of the department, I would love to move forward to the next step.
  24. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Good luck, it's a great PD now, like it was under Chief Shaw. Great stepping stone or career. You can make lots if money and have fun and have a retirement. Only 3 people that I know that worked there had a Ft academy and only one was sent by the college, William Bulger's son in law. Waiverable people only way to get in there. No sspo and no Ft academy unless things changed

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.468381,-71.548081
  25. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Not quite dude! Al didn't let ANYBODY mess with his troops and he had Ralph to back him up.