Massasoit Community College Police

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Irishpride, Jul 28, 2011.

1. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

I think you have a solid theory. It seems like the departments that send their officers to an MPOC are quite comfortable with their authority under Chapters 75 and 73.

2. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

FIFY. As well they should be since both Chapters give these departments their Full-Boat Police authority from the trustees, which mirrors that of Selectmen doing it in the towns under CH.41.
    :wink_smile:
    ANY U/Mass, State College, or Community College that also goes with adding the weaker SSPO Powers is just wasting money, showing their ignorance of the law and/or police operations, and letting the MSP Cert Unit exert undue influence. These "police" administrations at these State Schools that keep playing with SSPO are making a twisted convoluted soup. Same can be said for Sheriff's powers. DON"T need them! If what I'm saying was not true, then why don't municipalities get SSPO powers or sworn in as deputies? Right, because it would be STUPID! Fact 1. The ONLY Reason Massasoit must hold onto SSPO today is to keep two unjustly suspended officers from returning to duty. Fact 2. Years ago Chief Tillinghast at Bridgewater State P.D. flushed SSPO down the toilet, for the second time in a decade. There was a good reason. SSPO isn't necessary at these schools.
    :skull:

3. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

Is this the real story? I heard the School never did any investigation or discipline. Seems like they just hope for the officers to fade away and die. Seems like their would some kind of route for these officers to sue the school or somebody responsible there.

4. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Oh case is not over going federal court soon

mpd61 likes this.
  5. Fuzzy Bacon Bear

Fuzzy Bacon Bear MassCops Member

Read the NEW standards, the 4,000 hours is NO longer required for SSPO. An Auxiliary Officer with arrest powers (special) is now a qualifying element. And there is nothing worded about how long or how many hours they have to work. Big loop hole or a big ass mistake by MSP???

6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

7. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Maybe, but his whole point is that MCCPD is hiring only people who have street experience, not just the R/I + degree.

8. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

Ahhhh... I read the standards and you should read the highlighted blue portion

Completion of the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council’s 120 hourReserve/Intermittent Academy is mandatory. Applicants are also required to have successfullycompleted one (1) of the following requirements:​
    · ​
    Graduate of an accredited University/College in Massachusetts, granted an AssociatesDegree/or higher in Criminal Justice.
    *Include Copy of University/College Diploma & transcript of grades​
    · ​
    Graduate of Police academies outside of Massachusetts administered by the PoliceTraining Council of those states, the Federal Government or United State Military.
    · ​
    Graduate of an accredited University/College outside of Massachusetts, granted anAssociates Degree or higher in Criminal Justice.
    *Include copy of academy diploma & course syllabus** Applicants are required to pass an exam on Criminal Law approved by theMassachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council prior to appointment.​
    · ​
    Employed as an Auxiliary/Seasonal police officer by a Massachusetts Municipal PoliceDepartment with a minimum of two years work experience.
    Include letter from Chief of Police verifying applicant’s employment and certifying powers
    of arrest.

9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Most city & town police officers in Norfolk County are sworn as deputies.....Sheriff Bellotti will swear any officer in the county with the approval of their chief. It's not mandatory for us (it is for some PD's), but most of us are.

10. Kilvinsky

Funny enough, it wasn't mandatory for us until a number of people said, "Not mandatory? No OT for the swearing in? I'm not bothering." THEN, lo and behold, it became mandatory!

I had already gone. Figured if I didn't, it would somehow bite me in the ass, and not in the good way.

11. mpd61

Jim,

I actually believe I met you Dad a few years back while I was doing a detail on the south shore. Was he rather TALL and using a cane in his later years? In any event, This much older than me gentleman was asking directions and he already recalled correctly were he was going. He had your last name, a retired badge, and a helluva handshake. Forgot to ask you this years ago. Back to the thread; Stick to the MGL CH.75/73 not needing SSPO/Sheriff powers you private-school flatfoot!:tounge_smile:

12. Kilvinsky

There are a few around with the same last name, but only ONE who is related and he's never used a cane and I'm sorry I got off topic, you Federal Hack with your "good gubment job"!:yellowcarded:

13. mpd61

Okay so I made a mistake YEEEESH! Don't call me a Federal Hack either, I got my job without voting for Obama OR Patrick. You stay safe now ya hear!?

14. Fuzzy Bacon Bear

Ahhhh... I read the standards and you should read the highlighted blue portion

Completion of the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council’s 120 hourReserve/Intermittent Academy is mandatory. Applicants are also required to have successfullycompleted one (1) of the following requirements:​
    · ​
    Graduate of an accredited University/College in Massachusetts, granted an AssociatesDegree/or higher in Criminal Justice.
    *Include Copy of University/College Diploma & transcript of grades​
    · ​
    Graduate of Police academies outside of Massachusetts administered by the PoliceTraining Council of those states, the Federal Government or United State Military.
    · ​
    Graduate of an accredited University/College outside of Massachusetts, granted anAssociates Degree or higher in Criminal Justice.
    *Include copy of academy diploma & course syllabus** Applicants are required to pass an exam on Criminal Law approved by theMassachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council prior to appointment.​
    · ​
    Employed as an Auxiliary/Seasonal police officer by a Massachusetts Municipal PoliceDepartment with a minimum of two years work experience.
    Include letter from Chief of Police verifying applicant’s employment and certifying powers
    of arrest.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes I read that.. it says 2 years... it doesn't indicate hours. So I work 8 this year and 8 hours last year, I'm good to go. Huge gap!

15. mpd61

RPD931,

The only gap is in your ability to see others perspectives...Welcome back anyway.

16. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

Welcome back RPD931.....hope all is well!

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The few Obama and Patrick supporters who actually want to work want to be 6-figure paper pushers, not cops.

18. Fuzzy Bacon Bear

RPD931,

The only gap is in your ability to see others perspectives...Welcome back anyway.[/QUOTE]

Only if it involves translation which requires me to call Mrs. Clohoe to determine "Their perspective" . My previous statement references to black and white text on the standards set forth by Col. McGovern.

Yeah, thanks for the welcome back....

19. Kilvinsky

My attempt at humor was lame. Please forgive your humble servant and know that you truly do have my undying respect.

(In all seriousness, you guys do as important a job as anyone and you of all folks should KNOW I shit on NO JOB, just individuals.)

Now Woody, let's hug!:wink_smile:

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

In retrospect, there was nothing hurtful about this statement. I was just having a bad day and, well, until the midol kicked in got a little overly sensative.

20. Joe1231913

Joe1231913 MassCops Member

Has anyone heard anything since the interviews?

21. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Already hired sending two to full time MPOC

22. Joe1231913

Joe1231913 MassCops Member

That sucks, I thought I did well on the interviews. Guess there is always next time.

23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Didn't someone in this thread say that Massasoit *NEVER* sends people to the full-time MPOC??

24. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Hahahah

25. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

You sure?