MBTA Academy in November

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by Clorox223, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Clorox223

Clorox223 MassCops Member

If all goes well, I will be attending the MBTA academy in November. I've never been in the military and have no idea what to expect or how to prepare. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Jimmy

2. theGUNshow

theGUNshow MassCops Member

Practicing with initiative and the search bar Is a good start...

3. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

It's like attending college courses for 6 months. Nothing to worry about

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Keep your ears open and your mouth shut....remember that God gave you two ears and one mouth because He wants you to listen twice as much as talk.

5. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Prepare to be yelled at a lot, pay attention to every detail, and use all non-lazy time management skills. Be confident but humble, respectful but not a slouch. Do what your told when you're told to do it and don't argue back or take shortcuts. If it seems like it's something you probably shouldn't be doing, don't do it. Help your classmates and engage in teamwork.

Like anything else, there are no hard and fast rules, and sometimes you may simply not be liked by others or staff, or they may seemingly create rule violations out of thin air to screw with you. Suck it up and drive on; take a quick breath, gather your bearings and don't let your screw-ups snowball. Other than an RTT, the MBTA academy has the biggest military-type reputation out there, so be prepared for military-style training.

And above all, STFU and listen. Just becuase the academy is military style doesn't mean what the miltary does should trump what the academy instructors say to do. You'll notice it's usually the guys who come in to the academy that go "Well, I was and E-whatever in the <misc military branch> and this is what we always used to do so it must be correct here" who are always getting yelled at or are the biggest tools. Only right way to do it is the way the academy staff tell you to.

Other than that, mind your business. After a few weeks, everything will be auto-pilot.

6. OCKS

OCKS Subscribing Member

what obie said plus the first few days are the worst, put up with the first week yelling and screaming suck it up. Start running and getting in shape now.

7. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

All that and whatever you do DONT BE LATE! Right Obie?

8. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Well Jimmy you should prepare for this just to be safe... Be sure to always secure your cover.

[video=youtube;2m_1hglRkPk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m_1hglRkPk&amp;feature=related[/video]

9. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Er....yup...the instructor might just make you drive the lead cruiser while all you classmates run a 4 miler in silence, then jam you with a 5 page to-from on "Complacency", all that on top of the Class 3 for being late

10. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

Er....yup...the instructor might just make you drive the lead cruiser while all you classmates run a 4 miler in silence, then jam you with a 5 page to-from on "Complacency", all that on top of the Class 3 for being late[/QUOTE]

Obie did this happen to "a friend"? Lol

11. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

Good times, 6 years flew by

12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Great....I just realized this means that starting in November, traffic will be AFU on Sea Street when I'm trying to get out of the parking lot after roll call.

13. USMCMP5811

Maybe have a talk with the SDI over there and have the road guards stop the recruit traffic, wave you guys out, then continue on with what they are doing. You rate more than they do.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Problem is, the sector car for the police station area is assigned to stop traffic for the civilians getting off at 4pm and for the first-half to get out, but when the road guard at the academy stops traffic, it creates gridlock at the police station entrance.

15. a76589

a76589 MassCops Member

Everything Obie said plus remember your cover and canteen on day one. Don't be the one to forget shit on day one and create more work for yourself. Shut up and keep a low profile as much as you can. If you get through week one, you should be OK. Having military experience is a plus, but there were at least three ex military that quit from my class, so not having the military isn't the end all. Good luck to you.

16. USMCMP5811

What about having the first half and civ's exit onto Sea St right at the entrance next to the academy? Might prevent the gridlock and, save the sector car.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That's the entrance/exit we already use; the Southern Artery exit is borderline suicidal...I can think of at least 4 cops who have had crashes trying to exit that ramp, because the lemmings ignore the "Police Access: Do Not Block" sign. I don't even attempt to exit that way unless it's late at night, or I'm going lights and siren.

18. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

How about moving the academy to the Jackson Sq. T Station? Problem solved! :yellowcarded:

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Not to mention, real-world experience with shots-fired calls.

20. cal1nu

cal1nu MassCops Member

Anyone know how far down the hiring list they reached for this November Academy?

21. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

What list? WTF?

22. cal1nu

cal1nu MassCops Member

Civil Service Hiring List

23. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

The MBTA academy does not only take MBTA police officer candidates. And it is not a hiring list, it is a candidate list.

24. cal1nu

cal1nu MassCops Member

Anyone know how far down the Civil Service Candidate List they reached for this November Academy?

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That academy trains recruits from many different agencies.....the academy itself doesn't choose the candidates.