Middlesex sheriff's office receives $455,000 grant for regional 911 center

Discussion in 'Dispatch / Communications' started by JamnJim18, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I work in an area where over the last dozen years or so seven agencies near me have either built or are planning new stations. Recently, it was brought up that the average cost of each building was about 10 million dollars. At no point from the center of these towns is any distance more than about 15 or 20 miles. Some people have pointed out that if we were regional, we could have built the best station in the history of modern policing for our size and we wouldn't have come near 70 million dollars.

In my town, the finance committee and selectboard are all business people. They are all about cutting costs and consolidating town services. They often cite that in their businesses they have successfullly outsourced wherever possible. Some cops say regionalization will never happen because of politics or turf issues. My personal favorite is that local officers shouldn't be regionalized because they didn't go to the MSP academy. I can tell you that the political decision care know nothing about these issues. They have no idea that these issues even exist. They are focused on the bottom line.

mtc, countymountie and PBC FL Cop like this.
  2. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Garbage

3. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Old garbage. ;)

mpd61 likes this.
  4. dave7336

dave7336 MassCops Member

Can they focus on getting a regional lockup first?

Kilvinsky and pahapoika like this.
  5. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Plymouth is pretty much there. PD's can drop off their arrests at night and the jail will give them a ride to court in the morning :cool:

dave7336 and Kilvinsky like this.
  6. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Plymouth is pretty good, they can pick up prisoners with the wagon of you catch them at the right time. Couple of times this happens though,

'BEEEP'- "Hey, its ----, im dropping off prisoner shitbird to you..."

Plymouth- "ok, we just have a head count going on now, be about 20 mins"

"Ok".....*long silence*, "So....shitbird, how's, eerr, the family and shit"

"Fuck off pig,".

"Yeah, mines doing well too man, thanks for asking"

7. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

8. pahapoika

Oh, yeah. Love pulling up to the trap during count time and the natives start to get restless.. . . .
    Yo, man i gotta piss !
    We're waiting for count.
    Yeah, well f-that !

And then you hear the animal pissing in the back of the van.
    Don't miss that job at all :rolleyes:

Kilvinsky and Danusmc0321 like this.
  9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Worcester County refuses to take any prisoners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Regional lock up would be WONDERFUL for us. Though we primarily deal with only 2 holding facilities we can and sometimes DO have three others involved, depending on where the arrest is made. You kind of get to know the folks you deal with most and when you have to visit another station, the basic hostility of, "Shit, did you HAVE to arrest this clown and create work for me?" when in reality, "Hey it's creating more work for ME and believe me, I did NOT want to arrest this clown." with the underlying THOUGHT of, "Please, just do your job and don't hassle me."

The main point for ME is, "You don't see me as a rule, do you? You don't see anyone from my job as a rule, do you? Doesn't that kind of give you the impression that we're NOT out locking up the world and hence this visit is kind of a rarity? I don't want to bother YOU, please don't take your problems out on ME! And if we DO end up with a lot of arrests, PLEASE just accept that there may be a damn good reason for it."

pahapoika likes this.
  11. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

I catch that vibe every once and awhile. I can almost hear it "NOT ONE OF US!" NOT ONE OF US!" I think its funny when I go in and take care of everything on my own other than booking obviously and theirs always someone that asks "You need help with anything?" because they see me just sitting there spinning around in the chair like a 12 year old because i'm done and waiting for the report to be approved. Not saying I know it all but I know enough.

12. pahapoika

Might need a new sheriff in town :cool:

PBC FL Cop likes this.
  13. USM C-4

USM C-4 MassCops Member

Different state, same experiences...

Main campus is in Hattiesburg, and the Forrest County Regional Jail is used to us. We use the same county attorney to prosecute, we make enough arrests they are used to seeing us. In and out, no issues.

Long Beach campus is in Harrison County. They require their own forms filled out for every misdemeanor, plus a complete DA package for any felonies. We might book a handful a year there so each time it's an adventure. Or, at least... everyone involved has to go look up how to do it or ask a supervisor.

Research labs are in Jackson County. Haven't had to take anyone there yet. We shall see.

The odd part is that due to a single clause in our establishing statutes, all our prisoners are the responsibility of the county. We don't have to pay for housing them, or medical care or anything.

But down here all the jails deal with odd agencies to some extent. Nobody has their own lockups, so Highway Patrol, Marine Resources, Department of Transportation, even (gasp!) Constables all book their catch at the local jail.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  14. felony

felony MassCops Member

Norfolk County Sheriff will take prisoners if you ask.

pahapoika and MiamiVice like this.
  15. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Lol, where do you book? Identical experience

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Kilvinsky likes this.
  16. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Years ago, the place we book the most worked with us and now, we simply submit OUR reports (which were modified to mimic theirs) and don't have to fill out theirs. The city across the river wants our reports on THEIR system. We use it so rarely that none of us are sure how to do it. Many of the guys over there are pretty good and understanding and help us along but it never fails to get that one or two guys who are SO PUT OUT by us even being there that they roll their eyes if we so much as cough. It's absurd and silly. We try to work very hard with these guys and many of them understand that, but just too damn many don't seem to realize that, if we've been around for 70+ years, we ain't going away too soon.

pahapoika likes this.
  17. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Im sure its mostly the booking officers who choose to work inside so they really shouldn't complain. The new report writing system is rediculous but rumor is were going back to the old system which was so much easier. Don't feel bad the c6 guys even give us a hard time when we have to book a female prisoner there :rolleyes:

Kilvinsky, pahapoika and JD02124 like this.