Military suicides spike -- nearly 1 per day, Pentagon reports

Discussion in 'Military News' started by CJIS, Jun 8, 2012.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

[​IMG]
    CBC.ca
    See realtime coverage
    Military suicides spike -- nearly 1 per day, Pentagon reports
    Los Angeles Times - ‎8 minutes ago‎

Suicides among US military members have spiked this year, with an average of one suicide a day - the highest rate so far during a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Very Very sad.

2. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Whoaaaa... Somebody better assess this IMMEDIATELY and take the proper steps to correct it, whether it be a fix in morale or whatever. We can't have those that protect us be burdened with a negative mental mindset. Shit... It's the very LEAST that's owed to them.

Marks72 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  3. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

Fucking disgusting!

Marks72 likes this.
  4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

When I de-mobilized, we had a checklist of things to go through, one of which was an interview with an Army psychologist. It lasted about 2 minutes, during which he asked a list of pre-prepared questions, and checked them off in a disinterested manner. It seemed like he couldn't have cared less, and we were all on a high of finally being home after living like savages in that shithole.

That was the last time the Army ever asked me about my mental health. I'm okay, but I'm the type that deals very well with trauma and stress, but unfortunately not everyone is like me. The targets of my post-retirement counseling career are military veterans and emergency service workers (police, fire, corrections, EMS), all of whom have shocking suicide rates.

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  5. Marks72

Marks72 Appreciative Member

That's damn sad... Unacceptable. Hope they can find the strength somehow. Getting them all the fuck out of there would do wonders for morale.....

6. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

The Crazy part is they spend months and years training these guys & gals to kill but don't train them for homecoming and how to deal with the issues they will face.

Sadly this trend will continue until they address the underlying causes and better prepare these men and women for the realities of life back in the states.