MSP Taurus ?

Discussion in 'State Police' started by GMACK24, Jan 23, 2012.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Sounds like built in plate readers?
  2. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

Not plate readers, it's on the 2012 fully marked cruisers. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of it is, but they haven't retrofitted the other fully marked.....yet
  3. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Sounds like Cruise Lights, and they're fairly common. I use them when going through developments at dusk and night.....I call them my "PR" lights cause it lets the people know I'm "patroling" their neighbor hood. Or my"do nothing lights" so if shit heads see me coming, they screw before I get there.

Also usefull if you're at a medical and the driveway is off the beaten path or or house number is not clear, Lets ambulance see you without being obnoxious and leaving all overheads on.
  4. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Something to this effect, but just the corners....

[​IMG]
  5. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

Wonder how we ever survived with these lights.

[​IMG]
  6. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

We had one car equiped with it but it was wired all wrong.. 15 seconds after activation, it would diengage and regular siren would take over. It is a great traffic mover when it works. I hope they reconsider getting them again oi in the newer cars
  7. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Of course it is.. That sexy "Hybrid" sticker is reflective, isnt it?:rolleyes:
  8. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

Same here, my ass is killing me.
  9. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

Like the "Rubmler":

10. Goose

Goose The Doctor is IN! Staff Member

I think that was how they were set up on purpose from what I read years ago when the Rumblers first came out. I will say that I never used one so I don't know for sure.

I was lucky to have a car with a functional siren at all; it took me and another guy over six months of complaining to get the siren fixed in our patrol car.
  11. Goose

I got you, bro!

[​IMG]
    LGriffin, topcop14 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  12. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

No dude, the reflective tape keeps the drunks from hitting you.
    mtc and TopCop24 like this.
  13. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

I think almost all the new Whelens have a built in amber or colored arrows in the back. I was stunned to see people actually go around me when I turned mine on for the first time.

A couple of other great features of the new whelen light bars are when you open your door that side of the light bar turns off so you don't blind yourself, the full bar take downs (as you mentioned) and the angled alley lights. The angled lights are especially useful when you are rolling up on a pedestrian or a guy on a bike.
    Kilvinsky likes this.
  14. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

We got a couple of cars with the new lightbars with the cruise thingy and that rumbler thing. I'm damned if I recall which ones since no one on my shift uses a siren if we can help it and if we do, it's very short burst. I prefer the airhorn. Less noise. I gotta admit, that rumbler things IS very impressive and deafening.
  15. Kilvinsky

Those ARE impressive features, especially the side of the bar shutting down.
  16. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

The timeout is set short for safety purposes. Had a Rumbler in my sector car for about three years now. Best traffic mover ever. Reading? Texting? Stupid? They all get out of the way. There "may" be a tiny hole in the coltrol head which allows you to lengthen the tone. ;)
    USMCMP5811, LawMan3 and 263FPD like this.
  17. Kilvinsky

I know a number of guys who can rumble for less than 8 seconds and CLEAR A ROOM!
    dano448, USMCMP5811 and frank like this.
  18. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Another link for the upcoming Ford products

http://www.lawofficer.com/article/patrol/next-gen-patrol-vehicle

After years of careful attention to the marketplace, Ford has finally released the “new” 2012 Police Interceptor Sedan and SUV. I say “new” because I spent time with these two vehicles in 2010 and wrote about it in my April 2010 column. Back then, the two vehicles represented a quantum leap in tech advancement over the Crown Victoria. But as nice as it was to see what the future might hold for Ford police vehicles, I wasn’t allowed to drive those prototypes—only view them.
    Since then, Ford has continued to adjust the vehicles, even when that meant Chevrolet and Dodge would beat them to market with the all-new Caprice and heavily reworked Charger. Even upstarts like Carbon Motors added vehicle options, but Ford remained patient, observing and tweaking the sedan and SUV based on years of feedback and market research.
    When Ford finally announced its release of the 2012 Interceptor Sedan and SUV, I was excited to get some seat time in the new vehicles. I headed to New York City to see if the driving experience made all that waiting worthwhile.
    MSP75 likes this.
  19. Big.G

Big.G In Tactical Mode....

We've had the Chargers for about 5 years now. Everybody was bitching how small the Charger was compared to the Crown Vic on top of all the mechanical issues with them. We were supposed to go back to Ford and get three PIs this year. We got one of the first PI sedans in the state back in April and let me tell you, this thing is tiny compared to the Charger. The B-pillar is too far forward for tall guys like me. My bat belt keeps hitting it getting in and out of the car. The height of the windshield is kind of low for me too. It was hilarious watching one of our larger guys get in an out of that thing. Supposedly the car has stalled on officers trying to flip a bitch via three point turn. Needless to say, the department cancelled the order for the other two and now who knows what we will be getting.
    cc3915 likes this.
  20. Kilvinsky

We're due for Ford Fusions. GO GREEN.:confused: The selling point they keep throwing at us is that the NYPD uses them. I DON'T CARE. As long as I'm comfortable and don't have to pay for the gas, I'll make due.

I'd rather a Plymouth Fury, but, shit, they don't make 'em anymore. :(
    mpd61 likes this.
  21. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Green colored Fusions! How gay Jim!
  22. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

They could give you a new Dodge Dart......

[​IMG]
    Kilvinsky likes this.
  23. Goose

I'd hit it with my dart...oh wait, were we talking about the car?
    USMCMP5811 and Kilvinsky like this.
  24. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I used to have a 79 Dodge pickup with a Slant 6 in it and three on the tree, it had 140K on it when I bought it. I used to hammer the piss out of that truck unmerciful, but I couldn't kill it. That engine kept humming away like a sewing machine, happy for the experience. I finally sold it when some whore in Holyoke decided to take a left turn from the adjacent lane on a one way street and caved in the passenger side.
  25. Kilvinsky

I know you, you DID mean the girl in front of the car and yes, She can use my stick shift, but I hope she's easy on my break pads.
    USMCMP5811 likes this.