Municipal and S.S.P.O train together

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by Macop, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Maybe I am living under a rock. I just read an interesting article about the State Police Academy training the municipal officers along side S.S.P.O. Attending classes together and such. I have never heard of this, anyone else hear about this. I read the article in the French and Electric blue newsletter. I couldnt figure out how to put the link for just the one article.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/msp/news-and-updates/french-and-electric-blue-march-2013.pdf

2. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

Attention to detail, the very first line of the article.....
    On October 24, 2012, the Massachusetts State Police Academy began its first simultaneous training of local and Special State Police Officers (SSPO) student officers in more than twenty-five years.

3. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Don't be a smart ass, I was pointing out how the concept was interesteing. When it started was not the point, only that I was unaware of it and was looking to have discussion.

Smith000 likes this.
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

And yet somehow, the SSPO academy doesn't count for municipal police departments.

5. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Now when EOPSS and the MPTC can agree to anything at all concerning certification, please save that vintage bottle of wine for me.

6. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

You've been on this site long enough to know the smart ass comments would be coming.

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  7. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Oh Oh, OH this is sooooo hard!:eek:

8. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Scotty, you be nice!

mpd61 likes this.
  9. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

lol, I know, I know.

10. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

As far fetched as it may seem I do see a day when the academies merge into one. Something has got to give. When I went through the S.S.P.O it was 14 weeks and then ten months after doing that I went to the M.P.O.C and it was 21 weeks. A pretty significant difference in length. Now the difference is like 5 weeks, one is 600 HRS and the other is 800. I have a booklet from the IACP which outlines all the counterparts to the MCJTC in the country. Massachusetts was like number two for length and the ones right behind Ma were in the 600 range. Not to mention when I went through our staff found 38 states that took the S.S.P.O as a full municipal lateral.

11. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

I didn't do SSPO but I heard it's very efficient. I did R/I and MPOC just about back to back. For the core classes, the instructors were the same and came with the same lesson plan. Aside from some wasted time politically correct crap, EVOC and FATS training I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Especially when you consider that PT was optional for certain poster children and that was before the change.:rolleyes:

12. GMass

GMass Guest

Some academies are now 7-8 months long in some areas. Some have you in an academy, FTO, then back to the academy for 8 more weeks (Maine SP.). RI was 16 weeks just a few years ago, and is now up to 26 (with the first two weeks soon to be residential).
    A legislative committee has just been formed to develop and FUND a POST system in Mass. You'll see big changes in the next 3-4 years.

13. GMass

GMass Guest

I did the R/I academy 4 years before heading to the F/T, and found a tremendous difference in all aspects of items that were already covered. I learned a decent amount in the law blocks in the R/I academy, but it couldn't hold a candle to the degree in which things were covered in the F/T academy. Heck, adding together the Con, Crim, M/V and drug law blocks alone was 20hrs longer than my entire R/I academy.

14. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

Nice!
    My hours were obviously longer than R/I but comprised of the same material.
    We also had about 20 hours of racial sensitivity training. The instructor started by asking us to guess what her first job was. When we all guessed the classic fast food jobs, like those we endured, we were told that we were all racists for not guessing that her first job was in a lab. I didn't hear anything after that.
    Got about 2 hours of felony stops though.

15. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

But Aaron, it's so hard after what Massasoit and Yimmy have both done to me LOL!!!!!!!!

Macop and j809 like this.
  16. GMass

GMass Guest

I had a black guy doing my psych exam. When asked to describe my girlfriend, I did so. He asked "Is she black" "No" "WHY NOT!?!" "Because her parents are both white".
    I was prepped that the question was coming. Nice try, pal.

PBC FL Cop, pahapoika, frank and 3 others like this.
  17. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

You will never see sspo academies be recognized for MPOC academies because the campus chiefs do not want it. The only reason they were created in the first place is to stop the revolving door of sending campus officers to ft MPOC academies and leaving for towns.

18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Guy Seymour, right?

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

My full-time MCJTC academy was 13 weeks in 1988.

20. GMass

GMass Guest

I'm looking at pics of him on Linkedin. I THINK that's him, but I doubt he flew up from Atlanta to do my psych. I could be wrong.

21. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

He went back and forth between Boston and Atlanta for awhile, that's how lucrative the business is/was. He did my psych for the BHA, but someone else did it for my current job.

22. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Yeah he did mine too really tried to piss me off was funny

23. GMass

GMass Guest

He also faked falling asleep during mine. Instead of continuing talking, I should have said "I know, boring as shit. I'm taking a nap too" and curled up on the floor.

24. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

He tried the old "Why isn't your girlfriend black?" routine with me.

That was my first go-around with the psych and I had no coaching, so I was honestly baffled by the question. When I was single, if I found a woman attractive and we got along well, I didn't care what race she was, I just loved women. I guess my honesty came through, because I "passed".

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  25. grn3charlie

grn3charlie No! My teeth are real. See?

Next person to get him and get the "Why isn't your girlfriend black" question answeres, cuz my boyfriend is. I wanna see his reaction to that answer

PBC FL Cop, Oscar8, LGriffin and 3 others like this.