My Child is Afraid of the Police

Discussion in 'Ask A Cop' started by Somebody's Dad, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

I really like this thread, members gave excellent advice. Im thinking gold?

2. Somebody's Dad

Somebody's Dad MassCops Member

Thanks 26. We've talked to her about it, and aside from the bs stories this kid is telling, the uniforms (and guns) do scare her too. I know we'll get her through this, like your cousin's kid did.

3. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

I am curious as to what these sories are that this child is telling your daughter. I am guessing the parents of this kid are quite the peice of work.

4. Somebody's Dad

From what she's told us...it's all a bit vague as she's only 5...she's scared that the police will hurt or kill us because they like to, will kick our door down and take us all away because they think it's fun, etc. It's pretty insane stuff. We keep telling her no, the police don't do that, that they're here to help and protect everyone, which leads to "then why do they have guns if they don't like to kill people" and so on. It's pretty deep stuff for a 5 yo but we're dealing with it. Humanizing the police for her, to counter the bs, will be a big help I'm sure.

And, yeah this kid's parents must be pieces of work. I've never met them and don't care to. I don't think we'll be having a playdate at their house any time soon.

5. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I was very scared of the Police when I was a kid, mainly because my uncle was on Salem PD and took me to the jail and said if I ever got in trouble he would make sure I stayed there for a while.

6. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

In my town we have many Cambodian families that came here in the early 80's. Back in their country Pol Pot's police committed genocide on the population. It took them many years to warm up to law enforcement.

7. Somebody's Dad

That would do it yeah. Sounds like a precursor to "Scared Straight".

8. Rock

Rock Undefined

So how much time did you spend there?

9. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Oh Snap!

10. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

Would love to see the bop on the parents. My uncle use to constantly bad mouth the police when I was a child, and gave me a Much harder time when I brought awards back from the explorer competition in Connecticut every year. It's funny how he now has a plethora of lights on his company car for roadside assistance.

11. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

The only time I was afraid of the police was when they got dangerously close to finding me and my friend's booze supply at the park.

12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

When I was 18, I was in the back seat of a car with a case of beer in my lap when we got stopped in the Blue Hills on the way to a party in Milton.

Effing Mets. :rolleyes:

13. DEI8

DEI8 Supporting Member

PM sent.

14. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

To be honest, some of us do like it and do think it's fun....

15. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

Let's hope the visiting officer bring lots of PD or MSP related presents for the kids. Stickers and pencils go a long way to forging a friendship with the kids and i'm sure there are some Dare officers on here that could hook this small PD up with some nice goods...

16. Somebody's Dad

Received! Thank you!

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Wow, thanks again everybody. It is very much appreciated. And I'm glad I never got pulled over by Deuce. ;-)

You guys and girls rock. Another toast! :beer_yum:

17. 5-0

5-0 Guest

18. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Dieter was much better, Touch my monkey!

[​IMG]

19. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

Ok, before this thread goes down the tubes, the questions have been asked and answered.

While it may be gold worthy, I'm thinking it may be best served if it were stickied in the "Ask a Cop" section for the Noobs to see and understand proper etiquette of this section. If another Mod or Admin feel as though this thread is Gold worthy, feel free to move it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.