N.E.R.P.I- any advice?

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by Mcw303, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Mcw303

Mcw303 MassCops Member

Hi,
    I've been looking online for some recent reviews on this reserve police academy, and I haven't seen too much and figured I'd post here.
    I've received sponsorship, and I'm intending on going this Fall, but I'd like to know a little bit more about what I'm getting myself into. It's a huge commitment, seeing as it's every Saturday and Sunday 8-3 from September to April, but I'm willing to take it on.

How much did everyone spend on books, equipment, uniforms?
    What are the days structured like?
    How big was your class size?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Q2B

Q2B MassCops Member

I graduated NERPI last year. It was long and felt like it would never end but all in all they do put on a great reserve class. The books you will need to buy are about $200. I was able to buy most of my equipment on eBay to save money. I would definitely look there or on here to see what people are looking to sell, unless you have the money to buy all brand new stuff.

As far as the classes go, the first few weeks the instructors will be all over you, a lot of "yes sir, no sir" bullshit. After that it's fairly easy as long as you listen and pay attention. The day starts at 0800 and typically runs until 2, some times they would let us go earlier depending on who was teaching and the importance of the subject being taught.

Mcw303 likes this.
  3. Mcw303

Mcw303 MassCops Member

So I'm not planning on buying new equipment, so I'll definitely start looking into eBay.

Did you do the firearms training?

Were you able to obtain LE employment following the class? I'm worried about the 2 year expiration date...

4. Q2B

Q2B MassCops Member

The firearms class wasn't offered during last year, I had to go out and find a class which wasn't easy. I would deffinetly find out if they offer the class, if not I have a contact that teaches it.

I was able to find LE employment a few months after graduating. Your best bet once graduated is to submit a cover letter and resume to literally every department that hires reserves and isn't civil service. That's what I did and within a few weeks I landed a job. Good luck

5. Mcw303

Mcw303 MassCops Member

I'll call them to see if they offer it at some point this week.

Did you work full time while in the academy? I have a full time job now, but I think that not having a day off for 7 months may get old pretty quick, so I'm considering working part time instead. Financially I can swing it and I don't need the benefits...So we'll see.

6. Q2B

Q2B MassCops Member

I did work full time while in NERPI. I lucked out though because the class schedule didn't interfere with work.

7. devenob

devenob 2300

just start getting in shape now, lots of push ups and the 1.5 mile run

8. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Push ups and running in a reserve/intermittent academy?

9. devenob

devenob 2300

;)

Goose and JD02124 like this.