Narcan Stipend?

Discussion in 'Association & Union Business' started by Irishpride, Mar 7, 2014.

1. PPD54

PPD54 Highly Dedicated, Slightly Motivated

Funny how we can't carry and epi-pen in the event a kid has a peanut allergy but this is getting forced down our throats....then again little kids don't vote.

2. dano448

dano448 Supporting Member

Some fire fighters, who are also arson investigators do make arrests up here. Unknown if they get any stipend for it.

3. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

One of my compatriots here (also a paramagic) is a trainer and is pushing for the Chief to have us do it.......GHEY!:p

4. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

I have seen fire dept. patches on some pd academy flags

5. PPD54

So....an old thread but does anyone get anything for it now? Our town manager is saying it's not a change in working conditions. If any towns have it in there contract and wouldn't mind sending me a PM it would be greatly appreciated.

6. Chitownlost

Chitownlost Internet "expert"

Wow, some heartless bastards showing their true colors here.

People get addicted to drugs for tons of reasons. The most common is when people get injured and prescribed pain pills. They get addicted and when the prescription runs out they have to quit cold turkey. This makes people sick, they turn to other methods.

We as police officers help the community. I don't expect extra pay to change a car tire, talk to a depressed old homebound lady, put pressure on a gunshot wound or stab, help someone reset a circuit breaker, dig someone's car out of the snow, do CPR, the Heimlich, Etc, etc etc.

We as protectors of the community adapt to whatever problem comes out. Right now a HUGE problem is people addicted to and dying from opioids. If spraying some shit up someone nose gives them one more chance at recovery, screw it, I'll try.

And to those who say police are not indemnified, you could not be more wrong. Narcan is over the counter Massachusetts and can be administered by: "A person acting in good faith may receive a naloxone prescription, possess naloxone and administer naloxone to an individual appearing to experience an opiate-related overdose.' (MGL Ch. 94c, s34A) You are a person. You are covered.

Truck and patrol22 like this.
  7. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Spend a few hours during the day at Mass Ave/Melnea Cass Blvd/Albany St and I think you may change your mind. I am positive that 95% of the zombie hoarde down there did not suffer some injury then magically became addicted to Heroin. Most are weak people who take the easy way out. Ever notice when dealing with a junkie nothing is ever their fault.

USAF286, BxDetSgt, woodyd and 3 others like this.
  8. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Narcan is a controlled medication, nobody should be administering a controlled medication to a patient unless they are a paramedic, EMT or doctor. Police Officers are none of these, we are not medical professionals, and therefore should not be expected to behave as such. I already face enough risk at my job, I don't need to face an added risk of having to deal with a possibly adverse or violent reaction from a junkie I am administering narcan to, and have them attack me, spit in my face or get their blood on me. Junkies made the choice to shoot up, I didn't make it for them.

So the cops on here who are asking to be compensated for carrying narcan, I don't blame them one bit.

9. PPD54

Not heartless at all. When there are a lot of drunk drivers we don't ask Firefighter's to pull over drunks with their red lights and wait for us....we don't ask EMT's to drive around neighborhoods as extra patrols when there's a rash a car breaks. It might be an epidemic, but so is heart disease, cancer, diabetes and anaphylactic reactions. Still I'm not allowed to carry glucose nor epi-pens. Those are drugs and I can't help a helpless child having a reaction to peanut butter or a bee sting because epi-pens are expensive. Narcan, like everything else for these people, is subsidized by the government. I get that it's an addiction that a lot of people run into, but leave the medical work to the medical professionals. Administering Narcan is beyond basic first aid. Just because some legislators made a legal exception on paper means nothing. Let me diagnose your abdominal pain in good faith and try to take out your appendix.... Ok end of my rant.

10. Chitownlost

Chitownlost Internet "expert"

USAF: you have no clue what I've done professionally, where I've worked or what I've dealt with. Don't make assumptions about me, or anyone else and I will do the same for you.

Joel: Narcan is a opioid antagonist. If no opioids are present in a person system, it does nothing. It's just an annoying nasal spray. Are you against helping adminster an epi pen or use an AED? It's no different.

You don't want to deal with angry drug addicts? Maybe law enforcement is not right for you. Here is the easiest solution on earth. Cuff em then give them the Narcan and control them like you were taught in the academy.

PPD: we don't ask Firefighters to do those tasks because that's not their mission. What's our mission? Simply protect and serve right? We all still remember that?

The fact that police cannot give epi pens is a failure of policy and law. As soon as some politician's family member dies from and allergic reaction, that too will change as it has in other states.

I know why I became a police officer, my mission has not changed and my experiences have made me more committed to that. Maybe it's time a few people think back to before they were so salty and jaded and think why they became the police.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Rogergoodwin likes this.
  11. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Relax buddy never assumed anything nor do I care to. Feel free to make any about me though, I'm not going to get upset over comments on masscops, especially when the subject is junkies.

Joel98, PPD54 and woodyd like this.
  12. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Chitown, when you give your 13th (yes 13th) dose of Narcan to the same shithead junkie, will you still feel like you made a difference? I don't, so I expect to be paid for administering this medicine. Sorry if you're offended that the rest of us expect money in the pocket for acting like a paramedic. Do it for free, I'll split your share with the members of Masscops.

There is a HUGE philosophical difference between helping give a kid an Epi and shooting naloxone into a junkie's nose. First and foremost, the kid was born or developed an involuntary allergy to bee stings, peanuts etc. A junkie CHOOSES to shoot or snort heroin. Second, don't you think there is something wrong in this world where an EpiPen dose costs $600 and you need a prescription from the doctor; versus a $5 dose of Narcan and they hand that shit out like napkins at an all you can eat picnic? It's a controlled substance as well, but it's handed out without a prescription?

Not only no, FUCK no! And I have no idea if the Det. Lt. from Quincy is a good guy or not, however, his bleeding heart bullshit that the police aren't going to arrest their way out of a heroin epidemic holds fucking zero water with me. We aren't going to narcan our way out either, genius. It's just prolonging the inevitable.

You can call me salty and jaded, but that is making assumptions, and you wouldn't want to do that....right?

GARDA, Joel98, woodyd and 4 others like this.
  13. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

You?!? Salty and JADED?!? Neverrrr. I mean shit, I could just press a margarita glass against your skin and viola... ;)

Working alongside many EMT's in New England, I find that my opinion is very similar to theirs... narcan is a problem for a solution.

Heartless prick? You bet your ass I am. I chisel ice off my heart when I pour an ice coffee. It's because these junkies are thieves, lowlifes, and members of society that are generally useless. None have jobs (know any functioning heroin abusers? It's not like marijuana) they steal from family, and are a drain on hospitals and ambulance services. It would be addition by subtraction if we just let nature take its course, but no...

You'll admin narcan to an OD on the street, and 1.5 hours later, after they've been discharged, you're dispatched to deal with the same fuckin' guy, requiring the same thing, more narcan. I can't make this shit up, actual story.

We're training cops to save junkies lives, but we won't train them in the administration of an EPI-pen?

"Folks this is your captain speaking... We've arrived at your destination... backwards land."

14. PPD54

All very valid points. And just to point out to chitown, I think most of us became cops for the same reasons however in this case we are being taken advantage of by both the administrations and junkies. I very rarely feel any compassion for junkies because as of now the risks of heroin are well known and help is abundantly available unlike what is available to a child who may need an epi pen for the rest of their lives. Police are there for those who want to be helped...that rarely includes those who are saved and go right back to doing what almost killed them in the first place sometimes just hours later. I almost wish we could section 35 every overdose so we force them to get help, they get locked up for a few hours when they're released from the hospital without criminal without consequence and we get four hours court time to petition the court for the 35.

Joel98 likes this.
  15. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Narcan stipend? I wish I had a dollar for the number of repeat doses given in my municipality...........Just sayingo_O

Joel98 likes this.
  16. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

I became a cop to wear cool sunglasses, drive fast, and meet chicks!!!

felony, woodyd, Goose and 3 others like this.
  17. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Thank God my affluent community can afford their pain killers and won't have to jump to heroin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  18. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Meow.

BxDetSgt and woodyd like this.
  19. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

We don't get a stipend, nor have I heard of any departments around me getting them. I have heard that some PD's give you comp hours if you have to use it. Then again, every thing you hear at the station is true...

20. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Its hard to get a stipend now that the state requires that as part of your First responder training, same as the AED. Any the Parmann that had stipends for AEDs had them before it was required by law as mandatory for first responders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

You'd have people jumping every OD in town call if that was the case. 120 to Control, I'm just around the corner, I'll take that for the 122.

USAF286 and Chitownlost like this.
  22. felony

felony MassCops Member

IMHO, the Pain Pills argument is complete BS. My wife is on pain meds and will be for the rest of her life. She is chronically ill and will never live a normal life. She didn't decide to one day pick up a needle and shoot heroin because her prescription ran low. :rolleyes: Half of those that I have arrested for possession heroin, never had a chronic pain condition, or were prescribed pain medications. They CHOSE to use heroin because they wanted a cheap high and can't afford coke, bars, etc. They were either influenced by a "friend" to try heroin or a significant other. Drug dependency and mental illness go hand in hand and many suffer from bipolar depression, etc and choose to self medicate with illegal drugs. Sometimes its due to their manic behavior, they even get involved in street level narcotics.

The Oxy boom of the early 2000's IMHO has nothing to do with today's heroin crisis. Its just a excuse to try and pass the blame onto someone else. The problem lies with the individual and is mental illness related.

My department does not provide a stipend for narcan. Honestly, I don't think they should either, its no different then carrying a AED in your cruiser or giving someone first aid.

HistoryHound likes this.
  23. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Thank you for saying this. I understand that in the past there have been doctors who overprescribed pain pils, but the hoops that I've had to jump through (and I'm sure your wife has had to) have been in place for several years. The problem with prescription pills leading to addiction is and always has been people not taking them as prescribed. Sally's back hurts so she take a few of John's pills. Tim continues to take his prescribed pills every 4 hours even though he's feeling better and could stretch the dosing out to 6, 8, 12 hours or none at all. Bobby and his pals want to get high so they steal Nana's meds. It really irritates me that those of us who actually need, benefit from and take these meds appropriately now have to suffer the consequences because of people who did the wrong thing. Meanwhile there are no consequences for the people who are doing the wrong thing.

A little off topic, but it really really pisses me off that I now get a flier with my prescription telling me to talk to my doctor about other forms of treatment. Gee I wish I had thought of that on my own. :rolleyes:

felony likes this.