New Admin, New Owner and New Beginings

Discussion in 'MassCops News' started by Gil, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Gil

Gil Administrator Staff Member

As of today MassCops has a new owner, I would like everyone to welcome Peter to the group.

First off nothing will be changing, admins and mods alike will be the same, this is more of an admin deal and you really won't see any difference in the day to day running of the forum.

Peter has been advised of the special chemistry that makes up the forum and has pretty much opted to let things continue as they have been. There will be a server change within the next few weeks but again this should be a behind the scenes deal that won't affect the members.

I am sure Peter will reply a little later on and introduce himself.

I won't be going anywhere and I will be staying on as an admin but Peter now has the final say on the day to day operations and housekeeping issue that arise from time to time.

I would like to thank all of the members for their support over the past twelve years, I have met so many great people (and a few whack jobs) in the process and really can't thank you enough.

The reason for the change is that it was simply time to change, I have a lot going on right now and do not have the time to dedicate to the site.

I hope to see many of you at the next M&G to thank you in person, Peter also plans on being in attendance to personally introduce himself.

I just want to address one question that I am sure will come up "Is Peter LE" The answer is no, Peter is a Massachusetts businessman that runs several successful forums and MassCops will benefit from his experience with vB as well as server administration.

Thank you again,
    Gil

NegroRotary likes this.
  2. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

I wish you the very best Gill. You have created a great site for all and I am just glad you are staying as part of this on-line family!

NegroRotary likes this.
  3. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Thanks for the Update Gil. Glad you will still be on board. I am Hopeful this change will be a good one.

4. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

+1 You have done a great job creating this site which is so well known in MA. law enforcement.

NegroRotary likes this.
  5. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Standing O to you Gil!!!

6. frapmpd24

frapmpd24 Senior Member

Gil,

Thanks for the what you have done to over the years to develop the site to what it has become.

From a L.E. perspective, it is an excellent resource for those looking to come on the job, and like myself, already too far along in my career to ever remember working a normal profession. I have benefitted the most from members referrals from in training section, the most valuable of which have been a grant writing course which I decided to take in LA (and in the process meet the esteemed LACopper) and a NESPIN course about investigating internet child predators (and met Gil for the first time). Both courses, which I found through the training section, have yielded very positive results, by way of assignments at work.

From a business perspective, the fact that you've grown and developed the site to get positive attention of others, outside the L.E. industry, and willing to move forward while MassCops as site is still going strong and a viable entity, (judging by the amount of sustained activity for over a decade), is a good thing.

From a social networking perspective, people around here have strong opinions (is it that much a surprise with a pro-L.E. clientele, just go into any police station for Gods sake) and inevitably have their differences and get their feathers ruffled from time-to-time (especially the regulars), but at the end of the day for the most part we have a lot of rope, (thanks to the admin/mods), to be adult enough to settle things on our own, rather than being scolded like school children. We have enough of that from inept managers, unfortunately for some. That or some idiot posts some gold in the "Ask-a-Cop" section, and those that were fighting one minute, all turn on the whacker posting the 10,000th question about the legality of lights on their CVPI, and forget about the other thread. If all else fails, lately there is the quarterly (it seems) M&G to debate members and non-members while sharing a few cold ones.

With that said, thanks again to Gil and looking forward to meeting Peter on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Marks72

Marks72 Appreciative Member

Gil, i"ve been on here about 3 years now, and while not being a member of L.E. (being in uniform with Brinks was enough) I'd also like to thank you for a great site. I've found it very informative in trying to keep track of the scuzballs creeping into my neck of the woods in Fairhaven, have also found the site both, very informative in general, and quite humorous at times. I really envy the comraderie, sense of humor, and seriousness (at times), and closeness, that you guys (and gals) share. I also appreciate the opportunity to have somewhat of an "inside" look into the personalities that make up local PO's, and have gained an ever bigger respect of you folks. Makes me wish I'd had the proper mindset years ago to become L.E. Well, enough blowing smoke your way Gil. Thanks..... Mark

Ps- Good luck in your future, and keep knocking the bad guys down will ya......... And all of you stay safe.....

Pss- Peter welcome aboard a great site, please keep it as it is.... Thanks.... Mark

8. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Gil for all the hard work and BS from people like Mike Baril that you've had to put up with over the years.

That being said On Monday nobody better try to get Peter drunk and take advantage of him. :shades_smile:

9. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Gil, thank you for what youve done. It hasnt been easy thats for sure. Being able to come here kept me sane through some of the darkest days in my life....There are some amazing people here.

10. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

...as long as there is no "Hope and Change" promised...

11. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Webmaster Staff Member

Oh, darn, and I was going to troll you guys with a pro-Obama avatar and a long "Change We Can Believe In" inaugural address. ;)

No, lol, the last thing I want to do is make a mess here. I'll post a longer intro to myself later when the kids are in bed, but just wanted to nip any fear of changes in the bud.

In the meantime, if you're curious, I started out with forums with CoinTalk.com - it's not quite as old as MassCops, but I'm very proud of it. :)

12. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

I have the utmost respect for Gil and will miss him dearly. In his honor, and to properly indoctrinate Peter to our family, I offer the following video that I shot when Gil (formerly known as Hedley Lamar) welcomed us all to MassCops for the first time. If you look quickly at about the 25 second mark, you may notice a young Delta seated in the back of a wagon with some of his friends :)

[video=youtube;Cr5KyLzFdgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr5KyLzFdgI&feature=relmfu[/video]

Welcome aboard, Peter!

13. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

Gil, I mirror frapmpd24's sentiments. You took a little site and made it what it is today. Many of us have taken some fond memories of some great times and ok, maybe some not so great times but, You're still batting better than Theo's average I'm also glad that you've decided to stay on as an admin.

Peter,

I'll give you my official Masscops welcome.

View attachment 3274

:smug:

Sgt.Joe Friday likes this.
  14. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Gil, thanks for your efforts, especially with some of the external trouble. Things have certainly grown & changed since the mass-net days.
    Welcome aboard, Peter.

Sent from my ADR6300

15. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 111K+Poster

To echo everyone else Thank You !!!!! It was my pleasure to serve as a
    long time moderator on MC working with you and the others to make MC what it is today.
    I am glad that you are not just walking away and will continue as an Admin.
    If I can be of any help to Peter I am around and available.

16. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Gil, thanks for a great site which has been a staple in my life for the last 5 yrs. I don't give my respect out very easily but you definately earned it. Welcome to the site Pete if you need help with anything ask 5-0, thanks.7

17. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Thanks for a great site Gil. I stumbled on this site just as I was beginning a job with a bunch of super liberals, lurked for a while and realized I found a place with reasonable and intelligent people. I can't tell you how many days I came home needing a little MC to recover from the insanity I had to listen to at work. This has been a great place to come to relax, vent, laugh, vent some more. As someone who isn't LE, but supports all you folks do I am grateful that you allow me to play here.

Welcome aboard Peter. This is certainly one very interesting place.

18. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Without becoming all soft and fruity, Gil, thanks for creating this site, it's given me hours of entertainment and therapy (you can say here what you can't out there), a lot of networking, and a little daily news and law updates.

19. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

Geez I just looked at my home page and I've been here since 2002.
    I wonder how many hours of my life I've spent on this site when I could have been outdoors playing with my friends?

Gil, thanks for what you did and what you started here. Great times were had by all.

Peter-
    Welcome. Be gentle. A lot of us are Civil Servants. We don't adapt well to change.

20. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

Thank you Gil for building and staying with this site through the years. It's a true one of a kind. I'm glad you will be staying on as an administrator, as we need all help we can get. :teeth_smile: Also, good luck in your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

Congratulations to you, Peter on your purchase of MassCops. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

21. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Well what the fuck !?!?!?

(Jus' kiddin' :wink: !!)

Must be like putting a kid up for adoption - thanks for the fun Gil... (do we have to be gentle with Peter? I think I already schooled him in one of the threads.)

Just don't go hiring outside moderators - K-thanks!

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Thanks for everything Gil, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Peter, you have some big shoes to fill, and if I may make a suggestion....the law enforcement culture is like no other, and is generally distrusting of outsiders; it's your site to run as you please, but I would recommend letting the current admins and mods deal with any brush fires.

23. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Can't say I like it, but im confident you've left the site in good hands.

Viva La Gil!!!

24. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

ah, shit !

there goes the neighborhood :tounge_smile:

sorry to see you go Gil.

thanks for a great site.

health and good fortune for you and yours

25. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Webmaster Staff Member

I'd also like to thank Gil for creating this awesome community, and for allowing me the opportunity to be of service to you all. I sat down with Gil this afternoon for a couple of hours and chatted about the forum, the people, went over some technical stuff, and I hope that I made even half as good an impression on him as he did on me. I'm sure you're all wondering why me. I'll give you the short version of my story, but you're welcome to ask questions.

Back in the mid-90s, I moved with my wife from the mountains of Vermont where I grew up, to Boston where all the good jobs were. Those good jobs dried up for me back in '08 when the economy started going south. I figured I had two choices there, be a victim, or do something about it. So, I decided to create myself a job instead of looking for someone else to do it for me, or camping on Wall Street waiting for hand-outs. What I chose to do is to work with forums.

I started my first forum in 2002, I mentioned it earlier, CoinTalk.com. I also participated in a number of other forums, and lurked in many others. I first found MassCops.com back in 2006, when my wife and I were scoping out information about the towns we were considering to move, to get out of the city. We live in Littleton now, and have two young kids. I also own Historum.com, and recently started a new one for stamp collectors at StampExchange.com, and a politics forum at PartisanLines.com. I also have a handful of partnerships with other forum owners where I help them by providing technical and logistical support.

I'm really excited about being here, and apprehensive at the same time. Please be reassured that I'm not planning to come in and make big changes, or any changes at all for that matter unless you guys think something needs changing. The only real difference you should notice is that if the site is broken you have a different person to go to for it to get fixed.

Thanks!