New and Improved MassCops.com

Discussion in 'MassCops News' started by Peter T Davis, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Webmaster Staff Member

Hi everyone, as you probably know we've had some significant downtime over the past few days. Now, you're noticing that things look a bit different than they did before. There's good reason for that, hear me out before you cry foul about the whole thing.

When I started digging into the problems that were causing the old server to crash constantly, it became apparent to me that if I just kept patching things up, we'd continue to have the same problems over and over again. The database got corrupted, some files were compromised, etc. I knew the best thing would be a new server and a new site built from the ground up.

There's a side story here about the forum software, and the people who developed it. The condensed version of the story is that the people who developed the old software, vBulletin, all left that company and started a new company which build the software you're now seeing, which is called Xenforo. The people in charge of vBulletin have been talking about things like outsourcing development to China. Now, I don't know if they actually did that, but I do know that things have gone downhill for vBulletin and that's the core of the problems we've been having.

I'm sure that there will be those among you who do not like change. That's inevitable. What I do ask is that you bear with me and understand that I'm trying to ensure that this site will be available to you in the long term, and that we won't be seeing more downtime and data losses for a good long time.

One of the differences between the old software, and the new, is that the old software had a ton of features added onto it. Some of those were features that you used, some not. What I'd like is to hear which features you did use regularly, and then I can get most, if not all, of that added back.

The site should have some new things as well, some that you'll like. It should run faster now too. Anyway, I've been working on this for pretty much 24 hours straight so if this is incoherent, that's why.

2. EMTFORHIRE

EMTFORHIRE MassCops Member

Not bad I like the look.

3. Peter T Davis

Yes, that is a necessity. Thanks for pointing it out.

4. Peter T Davis

Ok, I actually found where that is. If you hover your mouse over where it says "Forum" in the menu, you'll get a drop down which includes "What's New" with a couple of other things. I'd rather see it having its own place on the menu bar, though, and will see about figuring out how to put it there.

USMCMP5811, MSP75 and cc3915 like this.
  5. sgthoskins

sgthoskins Teufelhunden

Nice work Pete

6. mr_happy

mr_happy 5.56 Nato

i'll miss my smoking smiley. ;) but that one will do.

looks good actually. "new posts" was my main feature i used besides the smoke smiley.

nice job!

7. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

I must say, I don't hate it. Ok ok, I like it.

8. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Thanks for all your hard work Peter. It looks good so far. One question though, I was a subscribing member on the old site but it's showing me as a new member on this one. Is there a process that you are in the midst of to correct people's membership status or am I the lucky one who got the glitch?

9. Peter T Davis

You're still in the supporting member user group. You also should be able to change that from "New User" to anything you want it to say. One thing I can do going forward is to add some badges to indicate things like Supporting Members, Moderators, etc...

USMCMP5811, HistoryHound and cc3915 like this.
  10. Peter T Davis

I can add smilies, just would need a link to the image.

11. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 109K+Poster

Looks good,subforums in the news section needed.

12. Peter T Davis

13. OCKS

OCKS Subscribing Member

My first thought was Holy Crap, but i think it will grow on me.

14. kwflatbed

It might make it eaiser to find and add posts to the right forum if the sub forums show
    on the index.

15. Peter T Davis

Haha, I was saying something similar to that, but maybe a bit less polite, when I found out how deep the rabbit hole went on the issues we were facing. ;)

OCKS likes this.
  16. Peter T Davis

Will do, as soon as I figure out how that is...... ;)

kwflatbed and (deleted member) like this.
  17. jban642

jban642 New Member

Looks good so far.

18. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

Going to take some getting use to.

BLUE BLOOD likes this.
  19. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Access to Tapatalk. I use that more than I use the regular site on my laptop.

Eagle13 and cc3915 like this.
  20. kwflatbed

Is there an add smiles in the administrator control panel like in VB ?

21. Peter T Davis

Yea, I'll do that right now.

Yes, it's easy enough to add them, I'd just need the image and what text it would replace.

22. Peter T Davis

k, tapatalk is working

Eagle13 and cc3915 like this.
  23. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Im a scared of change!...ok, I just hate change cause IM a computer retard....:)

24. kwflatbed

Most forum software has them already in them it just has to be activated.
    I have not seen the XenForo admin panel so I can't help there.

25. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Masscops Header Panel IMG is an X