Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Re: flawed system

The system is definitly flawed in Massachusetts. There should be numerous factors in determining who should be hired, not just a written test score. An example would be 50% of score based off of the written test, 25% on background and 25% based on oral board OR something similar. I was lucky enough to score high enough and get on in Massachusetts but if I scored 1 point lower I would be working elsewhere. I have seen many high quality persons not ever get a card even though they scored 97, 98 or 99 etc . I have also seen many nitwits get hired based on them scoring well on a test OR scoring horrible but being a vet or minority. Scoring well on a test, being a vet (I totally respect vets, but being a vet doesn't make you a better Cop. I base my opinion on what I have seen out there. Many vets are great cops while many others are useless, just like when a non-vet gets the job, some are good, some are idiots), or minority does not make one a great cop. There are many other factors. However, the liberal state of Massachusetts will not change it's ways anytime soon. Someday (hopefully) the state will smarten up and hire the best candidates to serve our highways, cities and towns. Until then, be a good test taker and you are good to go. Stay safe.

Enforcer174 said:
I agree the system is flawed just like the the Municpal civil service testing. All the age requirements and residence requirements. Iam very surprised that all these years no one has brought suit to those two requirements. The system is long over due for a complete overhaul!!

They do need to do BOP before testing to eliminate people who with record would never get the job but do they not do that because of the money they will gain from having people apply and pay the $50 testing fee?

Look at NH they make you do PAT before you can even take the test, now that is the right way..

Re: flawed system

48Weeks said:
The system is definitly flawed in Massachusetts. There should be numerous factors in determining who should be hired, not just a written test score. An example would be 50% of score based off of the written test, 25% on background and 25% based on oral board OR something similar. I was lucky enough to score high enough and get on in Massachusetts
Are you infering that EVERYONE should go through the ENTIRE application process and at the last step they pick the top candidates? Yea, of the 15,000 people that took the MSP test, 13,000 probably got over a passing score over 70. 13,000 oral boards, backgronds, and PAT's is exactly what this state needs.

Maine does an interesting way of testing. You go up to the academy (one for the entire state and state police) at your leizure, and you take the written and physical test on the same day (or seperate if you wish), and that goes on your file, and you can retest if you want for a higher score. Then you take those results and apply with them anywhere, including Maine SP, then they begin the process with the top people from there. You can improve physicaly or mentaly, its not one shot every 5 years.

I dont have to get use to it if I dont want to. Also, for your info I scored a 97% and Iam already on the job for you information. I just pointed out that it would be nice for others if they pulled 1 more time from this list. Can you say that your on the job?

billy108b said:
Maybe you should of scored higher on the test. Nobody from the 77th, 78th and 79th are complaining about getting a refund on the money they spent to take the test. Life is imperfect buddy and you better get used to it The way to avoid all this type of drama is to score near the top of the list, Problem solved. Remember that when your taking the next SP exam.

Enforcer174 said:
I dont have to get use to it if I dont want to. Also, for your info I scored a 97% and Iam already on the job for you information. I just pointed out that it would be nice for others if they pulled 1 more time from this list. Can you say that your on the job?
Ya I can!

There is no perfect way of doing it. If you start taking cummulative scores from PAT / written / oral / etc., then you will run into people being hired because daddy or mommy knows someone. They get in under the radar because you can't point to one particular score that would eliminate / qualify them. MA is simple. You get in the top % or you take it again. Its what happens after that needs to be scrutinized. BOP's / higher PAT standards / etc. That would weed out a bunch of folks that get on, and take someone's seat who really wants and deserves it...then drop out, when they know they didn't want to be there in the first place.

The profile defaults to Animal Control Officer if you don't change it. If you check, there are probably hundreds of people listed as animal control officers on this board. Just a quirk.

And apparently they dont have spell check where you come from either, Mr. 97%. Funny how you score a 97 and have NO grasp of english as a written language. Don't worry though, in your world you should be able to take the test again so we can have the best of the best. Just don't ask them to spell it. Jeez...

Oh, I didnt know I was getting graded for spelling in MASSCOPS sorry about that. You can have your opinion just like me but the whole civil service is a mess. How can getting a job on any Mass Dept. be fair anyways when lets say you score a 95% and just because your a nonresident of that city or town you get passed over for a resident that scores 90%. The whole reason for taking a civil service test is to score high and get a job but not here in Mass..

graveyardsleeper said:
Anyone hear about another academy starting right when this one gets done
Back to the real question...*DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT A 80TH RTT CLASS (IE.MAINTENCE CLASS) ANY INFO WILL BE EXTREMLY HELPFUL. IWAS A BACKFILL FOR THE 79TH AND DID NOT GET IN DUE TO NOT ENOUGH DROPS FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD...ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT

Back to the real question...*DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT A 80TH RTT CLASS (IE.MAINTENCE CLASS) ANY INFO WILL BE EXTREMLY HELPFUL. IWAS A BACKFILL FOR THE 79TH AND DID NOT GET IN DUE TO NOT ENOUGH DROPS FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD...ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT
Very good 1st post...I too would like to know.

ponyboy said:
One of my coworkers was in new Braintree for an FTO trainers class,and the instructor said they were talking about an 80th RTT next spring,and then possibly one more class after that.
Great class, awsome job by Sgt Hennigan. I was there and was told the same.

tazoez said:
DARN IT!!!! That means I have to wait ATLEAST 2+ years for the next exam :-(
Yes it is unfortunate that you have to wait for another test but like probally every single person that is a State Trooper know most likeley had to go through the long process ie(wait 2-3 years to be contacted,phys.test, interview board, physc. test, and background check) to get on. Just like I have been waiting since 02 and know I am so close I can taste it. So hopfully they do one more class.....Morale of the story.....anything is worth the wait if you want it bad enough! It just depends on how bad you want it.

Massguy said:
Yes it is unfortunate that you have to wait for another test but like probally every single person that is a State Trooper know most likeley had to go through the long process ie(wait 2-3 years to be contacted,phys.test, interview board, physc. test, and background check) to get on. Just like I have been waiting since 02 and know I am so close I can taste it. So hopfully they do one more class.....Morale of the story.....anything is worth the wait if you want it bad enough! It just depends on how bad you want it.
Trust me I know how bad I want it, LOL. The only thing is -- not to sound like a worry wart here but $70,000 in student loans -- need to find a decent paying job in the mean time. Making $10 an hr will not pay all the bills after December. :-(

MassGuy,
I hear what your saying about being worth the wait,but unfortunately for some of us me included the clock is ticking and I pray that I make one more test. I'm 33. If the SGT. Knows what he is talking about you should be good to go,because he was pretty confident about one more class. So I hope you get the call and good luck.

ponyboy said:
MassGuy,
I hear what your saying about being worth the wait,but unfortunately for some of us me included the clock is ticking and I pray that I make one more test. I'm 33. If the SGT. Knows what he is talking about you should be good to go,because he was pretty confident about one more class. So I hope you get the call and good luck.
Thank you. I hope to...not to burst your bubble but isn't the cut off 32?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.