Next Boston Academy (New Thread All Posts)

Discussion in 'Boston' started by kwflatbed, May 2, 2008.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 109K+Poster

New Thread lets keep it on topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have any update information for the Academy in May?

2. mikeyv7712

mikeyv7712 MassCops Member

I heard may 28th. It seems like the class is mostly comprised of vets, cadets, bilingual canidates, and women. Rumor is that there is going to be a class in the fall. It seems like all the guys that participate on this website are non vet male 10s like myself. We were put through part of the process in febuary and havent heard anything since. RI said that we were a reserve list that would backfill the may class and be inline for the next class.
    Has anyone heard anymore on a fall class?

3. smd6169

smd6169 Subscribing Member

I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that BPD will need to call for another list from CS for the next academy. I would venture to guess that since you were on the first cert. list that you would appear on the new [2nd] list as well, unless you were squeezed down by added names, but I don't think you are automatically or guaranteed a spot in the next class.

4. TSOL

TSOL MassCops Member

My friend is going in that class in May if all goes well. He said he did the obstacle course today and they have to start the class within a certain amount of time or everyone has to do it again. I gave him a hard time because he had to use the stairs to get over the wall.

Whats up with that?

5. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

Every class has a minimum number of seats that have to be filled or no class.

I think Plymouth for example is around 40. If they can't fill the seats by a certain date, then the academy is usually put on float status. I would imagine Boston is the same way since they have outside departments attending their academy.

If the "x" amount of seats are not filled.

No academy.

6. Mmp1

Mmp1 MassCops Member

I heard today from a buddy that took the PT test that about 15 females and 2 males failed but they have a 2nd chance to take it again. As far as the class goes, he said that it mostly minorities and people that are bilingual.

7. mikeyv7712

I know they go to another list but I think what RI meant was that they would already have our info when they call for a new list

8. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

According to a friend who is going thru the process May 27th is the start date for the class. He also tok the PAT recently and said BPD Brass and academy staff were there watching and taking notes on each candidate. He said that them watching was intimidating to some people but he and others got pumped up for it.

9. 1234hey

1234hey MassCops Member

It has been mentioned that a boston fall class is possible and I am also wandering whether lowell, mbta, and or the spa will be holding muni academies in the fall/late summer as well? Any intel?

10. mikeyv7712

Is that a high number of people to fail or is that expected? I wonder if they will dip into the 10s because of it

11. Blueheart

Blueheart MassCops Member

If there is a class in the fall, does anyone have an idea what band will be called next? I'm bilingual in the 8 band but heard nothing yet! Also, what about the MBTA, has anyone receive anything from them? Thank you!

12. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

94c, I spoke to a staff instructor at the BPD academy today. He said they will start the academy on the 27th and they believe the number is going to be about 60-65. He said their academy has never been on float status. We might be sending a candidate for my department to a possible class there in October because the failure rate for BPD at the PAT has been very high and they might start another one then. Don't know if this is good news for you people out there who might be trying for Boston...but to me another class means another shot at the job.

13. 1234hey

1234hey MassCops Member

I've heard the same thing that another BPD Academy is slated for the fall, unless they run two classes at once. Is their academy really 32 weeks?

14. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

He said the academy is shorter this time. In on the 27th of May and out maybe around the second week of November. I handed all the info to my Lt. as he is gathering info on which academy our recruit should go to. He did say they have cut out alot of the guest speakers who come in at the end and drone on endlessly about nothing and then use it on their resume. The recruits now do more hands on things such as court visits, active shooter training, respond to simulated radio calls, and they observe an autopsy at the ME's office. Sounds like they are getting back to the basics. My Chief liked that. I also didn't realize how many other departments they train (Mass EPO's, Andover, Cohasett, Chelsea, Middlesex County Sheriffs, Boston Univ, Arlington, Taunton) I always thought it was only their people.

15. 1234hey

1234hey MassCops Member

Yea hopefully I will be going in for Arlington in the fall. They are sending guys there in May.

16. Mmp1

Mmp1 MassCops Member

They shortened the last BPD to around 23 weeks, it's normally around 26 weeks.

17. Boston664

Boston664 MassCops Member

So I got through the backround and home visit in Feb, my Investigator said everything checked out and was submitting my jacket, that I looked like a good candidate, then all of a sudden no word from anyone. Next thing I hear is that people are already doing the PAT for the next academy. No DQ letter, nothing from HR WTF? Anyone recommend any course of action I can take to get some info?

18. smd6169

smd6169 Subscribing Member

Sit tight and check the mail.

BPD does not send out update notifications until well after the academy starts. If they simply did not reach your score, you will get a letter from BPD stating so. If you were bypassed (IE: DQ) it will come from Civil Service.

Either way, I would be shocked if letters went out before July. Sorry.

19. TSOL

TSOL MassCops Member

Trueblue...don't drink the Cool-Aid. I have had some freinds in the past few classes in Boston. One from the very last class said that at the end when they should have been doing practical stuff they spent their time being indoctinated into "Community Policing" with power point presentations that had hundreds of slides and going to "Community Meetings" to meet people they will never meet again. It became their main focus. They wanted more hands-on stuff, but that wasn't happening. He said the staff did a good job, but it was clear to the class that the thier hands were tied.

20. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Good luck. Hope you get in and do well.

21. Boston664

Boston664 MassCops Member

Thanks dudes. I'll post if any movement comes up.

22. 1234hey

1234hey MassCops Member

Good luck. Hope you get in and do well.

-you too man. your days are counting down, ha ha, so keep it locked in and your eyes on the prize. there should be some arlington boys in that class.

23. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

I'm not going in...I've been on a department for 20 years! Went thru Waltham academy.

24. 1234hey

1234hey MassCops Member

oops, well good luck anyway!

25. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Thanks,.....I did have some flashbacks of the academy after you posted. I will tell you and everyone else getting ready to go into police work that all of you have to jump thru more hoops to get the job than everyone in my academy class.