Quantcast

Next Boston Academy (New Thread All Posts)

Discussion in 'Boston' started by kwflatbed, May 2, 2008.

1. badge5 MassCops Member

i am hearing a lot about them not doing a class and just hiring laterals in june.
  2. MKellyIrish MassCops Member

Hopefully that's not the case.
  3. POSD MassCops Member

First I've heard of that [laterals in June]...
    They also sent out cards and began the BG on folks off the list...
    Word I got was that the next class will be all Vet's and high scorers instead of community quota fillers (I said it!).
  4. Macop Subscribing Member

No, I understand the desire to be a Police Officer, god knows it drove me crazy until I accomplished it. Its common sence. In this economy or any economy it only makes sence all around to hire experienced, and trained vetern Police Officers. Its not about kicking anyone in the face. If you want to make that the argument, well then its a kick in the face to working, experience, trained, and accomplished Police proffesionals that want to serve the city!

Good luck
  5. 13B I see you rollin', I'm hatin'

Wasn't there a huge dropout/failure rate the last time BPD hired that way? I believe it was even on the news.
  6. trueblue MassCops Member

Gotta disagree with you Macop. CS gives preference to residents. Davis came to the BPD and hired laterals OVER the men and women(my son and cousin) who were on an active CS list and already had a job. I think we can all agree that no one wants to lose a job after playing by the rules. As far as the working, experience, trained, and accomplished Police professionals who want to serve the city....moved to the city or town you want to work in and take the test. I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted a lateral to have jumped infront of them on the list they were hired off of. I know I didn't like it when it happened to me. Just my .02
  7. POSD MassCops Member

YES; class 47-08.
  8. MaHopeful MassCops Member

Anyone had a home visit yet? I heard from my BI that he has done some.
  9. Macop Subscribing Member

The residency thing is way over rated, maybe as a tie breaker but it should be gotten rid of, Just my 02.
  10. trueblue MassCops Member

Which residency requirement do you mean? Civil Service requires you live in the city or town that you claim preference in for one year prior to taking the test.

or

The ten year residency requirement on all city of Boston employees hired after a certain date (1995?). They must live in the city for ten years after hire or face termination.

I believe that the CS rule is a good one. You live in a community and know the geographic and ethnic makeup. You also know the good guys and the bad guys. As far as the Boston requirement, well I don't agree with it but I'll let someone who has to abide by it post comments.
  11. Mackey MassCops Member

I had a home visit about two weeks ago. My investigator said my background came back fine, I guess I'm just playing the waiting game right now seeing if the numbers work out in my favor.
  12. Delta784 Guest

Couldn't disagree more....it's a real pain in the ass to train a n00b who moved to the city solely to get on the PD, and doesn't even know some of the major streets yet. So much easier when they're familiar with the geography.
  13. USMCMP5811 Administrator

That's good all in all but, the Dept has to pay you enough to be able to live in the town/city you work for and not just in the getto either....
  14. trueblue MassCops Member

I agree with you USMC....but it will never happen. Remember, we public employees ARE the reason why the cities and towns can't balance their budgets....The Globe said so:stomp:
  15. POSD MassCops Member

Residency for geographical knowledge would make sense in a smaller city/town/Dept (compared to Boston). I grew up in one part of the city yet I am assigned to work in a different part altogether. Took me a good year (and I am still learning the lesser called to streets) to learn my way around my district (not to mention when you go to a different district for overtime or emergency deployment).

Anyhow, as someone on BPD, I have no issue with the residency requirement to get on. I don't like the selection process!

As for living in the city for 10 years, dont like that at all. I understand the concept behind it....where you may have a cop living on every street or neighborhood but (1) I don't like my neighbors knowing what I do (2) I don't want to get involved in policing my neighbors... I would call 911 or use my radio to call for a district car (short of a felony/life in danger situation).....but I think you know what I mean.
  16. Maddog2000 New Member

Anybody have any idea what number they are on ?
  17. Delta784 Guest

I've never lived in Boston, but worked there for 6 years with the housing police, but even I knew the *main* streets that can be used to find the side streets even before I worked there, having been raised right next door. When I have to explain basic geography to someone who was raised far away (maybe even out-of-state) and moved to Quincy for one year specifically just to get on the PD, I can see the value of residency to get on the job.

Agreed....I don't mind (actually agree with) residency to get on the job, but after I'm hired, it's no one's business where I live.
  18. Macop Subscribing Member

Well True I disagree with both, let me explain. I work for a town that I never stepped foot in until I came to work here. I learned the roads and know them just fine except for the rds that I never get called to, but I am sure we all have those rds that we forget about cause we never go there. The 10 year rule I also disagree with because it just doesnt make sense why not 20 yrs, why not 5yrs. I dont see the reason behind that.

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Ok, I can see your point, there is nothing wrong with making things easier, especially o this job.

But I would argue that even being from a larger city/town you still may not know all the roads so you be at the same disadvantage as someone not from there.

POSD made a rather good point, he is from the city but works in a part of the city he doesnt know and had to learn, almost like not being from there.

Bottom line I think is if you get hired on a dept your gonna learn the roads and go to your calls. I will concede that it will be more difficult in the begining, but I think after you learn the roads you will be fine. I mean hell being from Brockton there are parts of the city that I get lost in.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Very good point, I always go back and forth to work in plain clothes, very rarely do I come in uniform, unless I have an 8 hr turn around then its easier, but I cover up sp no one sees what I am wearing.

But it did not help when the people I bought my house from blabbed to all the neighbors that there is a cop moving in. Of course 3 of those neighbors are cop and one is the president of the city council and possibly the futre mayor so it coulod be worse. But I agree with ya 100% on that.
  19. badge5 MassCops Member

Is it 100% the academy will have a june class? and whats the set date for this class in the academy now to graduate
  20. 263FPD Administrator

An hour ago, I went #2. Befor I leave the station, I will go #1. Does that help?:rolleyes:
  21. BrickCop Subscribing Member

Good stuff. I'd be chirping in the councilor's ear Rain Main style on how "an excellent driver" I am. It's usually not a bad career move to be the mayor's driver.
  22. POSD MassCops Member

Rain Main? I think you mean "Rain Man". Anyhow, hopefully our Rain Man of a mayor will be gone soon.
  23. Macop Subscribing Member

Brick, I dont know if I would like doing that. Im sure it would definately be good politically, but I think it would be boring. But I guess you could get the juice on some good stuff as well.
  24. MTA2010 MassCops Member

Boston Police Academy June 2011

I recently went on a interview with a PD and the chief mentioned he will be sending the candidates that are hired to the Boston Police Academy in June. Does anyone know the exact date it starts?
  25. HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

Re: Boston Police Academy June 2011

It's supposed to start the same day as the 80th RTT.