Next Boston Academy (New Thread All Posts)

Discussion in 'Boston' started by kwflatbed, May 2, 2008.

1. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Leroy Streat is back lol. Past 3 classes were lucky he wasn't there.

2. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

Surely were, my understanding is they lost 9 before the first weekly exam.....yikes

3. timothy135

timothy135 MassCops Member

I heard from a source that they are down over 20 bodies after the first month. Most recently from drug test results.

4. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

But, but, but, marijuana's legal now :rolleyes:

DeltaTango27 likes this.
  5. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas MassCops Member

Any input on how to obtain updated eligibility on 2015 civil service exam? Looking to check where I stand since the recent Boston academy has started. I haven't seen any movement despite the new class. Also, any word of another academy class or two off the 2015 test?

6. DeltaTango27

They want to put another class through in July. Shall see if that happens, if they do intend to do more cards should go out soon.

Lloyd Christmas likes this.
  7. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas MassCops Member

Thanks

8. abcd1234

abcd1234 New Member

For anyone on here been through the academy or a good working knowledge. Whats the best way to prepare for physical fitness aspect other then the basic running, pushups, ect... ive heard things like crossfit but wanted to get the opinion of those who have been through it and know what to expect.

9. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

You dont start crossfit until like week 8 or so, so dont waste your time. Run run run, and please make sure you can do more than 33 pushups. The stories of these male slob recruits who come in doing 10 pushups make me cringe.

pahapoika likes this.
  10. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

You will be modified every day you cannot do your minimum amount of push ups for your gender also.

11. tbd97

tbd97 MassCops Member

Does anyone have any information or thoughts on the likelihood of an academy class starting in July?

12. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Many walk in to the academy.... any academy and think that it's the instructors who will get them in shape, help them with academics, pat them on the head when they do ANYTHING right, and tell them it's ok when they make mistakes. Well, they find out real fast it's not that way. Reality hits them in the face and they are told they SUCK for the first time in their lives. This isn't CSI Miami or any other fake cop show. You don't get your badge day one and a detective badge day two OR ASSIGNED TO A "cool" undercover unit because you're so sharp.....as seen on TV. The recruits that quit do so because they FAILED TO PREPARE. It's that simple. Some of them will come back and make a career in LE. I applaud their tenacity and ability to adapt. Others will not. The ones that quit will have to find their path in life and I wish them the best......but will now understand dreams don't turn to reality by watching The First 48 and thinking that others failed them..... just not the case. Rant over.

kdk240 and Danusmc0321 like this.
  13. abcd1234

abcd1234 New Member

I appreciate the input. Whats the furthest boston runs? Ive heard some academies are doing 13 miles while other are around 5. Im assuming about a 9 min mile pace?

14. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Final run is from academy to HQ. 8 miles I think? Some of the blue hill runs (if they still do them) are 8 miles as well. Those were the worst because half was straight uphill.

pahapoika likes this.
  15. abcd1234

abcd1234 New Member

Sounds fun, thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.

16. 43225

43225 New Member

BPD sent out cards yesterday, not sure how many obviously. Seems like a lot of people got them though. Probably trying to get the process rolling for that upcoming possible July/August academy.

17. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Hopefully they can find a few people that actually want the job. The amount of dropouts from the current academy is insane.

jckc444 likes this.
  18. DeltaTango27

Think its time to can the residency requirement

19. JD02124

Yea there were very few people in this class actually from Boston so it's kinda pointless to even have it as a requirement in my opinion. Also not a lot of veterans so I'm not sure why in the past I've heard people complain about not getting on because they weren't veterans.

20. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Its about to go up to 3 years residency prior to the exam.

21. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Most vets with the residency are going Fire.

22. JD02124

Well despite yet another life threatening set back I still have no desire to be a firefighter. More power to those that do and I'm sure there are some people that have posted through the years in this exact thread that have made that choice.

23. 43225

43225 New Member

For the 2017 CS Exam? Is that speculation or confirmed?

24. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

The city council wants it and I think Marty is on board. Obviously this will not be in time for the 2017 exam, more like the 2019 exam. I think its all going to come down to the fire department. They just hired a "diversity" officer. Theyre starting a cadet program similar to ours, most likely with the same "numbers."

As far as the 2017 exam goes I can see them hiring quite a few, tons of guys eligible to retire.

25. MrCapias

MrCapias MassCops Member

I'm told they're looking for 60-something for the next BPD class