NOT A JOB POSTING. Bristol Comm. Coll. arming debate

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by Kilvinsky, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Ok, this is OLD news now, I know that and thankfully, from what I understand, BCC is armed. What lead me to post this is two pronged and to post it hear is part of one of the prongs.

I watched a PUBLIC FORUM on Bristol Community College Police being armed a short while ago. It was over an hour long and yes, I DID FF through some of it. It was so gratifying to see the college administration so eloquently state the case for arming those guys, even if they may have had reservations (which didn't seem to be the case). You should watch it. I'll make your blood boil when you hear the one OBVIOUS liberal (who simply could NOT grasp the fact that these guys were ACTUAL POLICE) get up and hog the mike for what seemed like hours, but the panel handles her bullshit wonderfully. With the exception of ONE woman who seemed to have no clue where she stood, and frankly confused the living shit out of me, the crowd was NOT on the side of rationality. It was very interesting.

So, if you're thinking of taking a job as a cop at an institution of learning, keep in mind you will be dealing with these out of touch naïve, utopian freaks on a daily basis, even at a community college (where you LIKE to think more normal people congregate) and if you work at an UNARMED department, it might never happen.

If you work at a municipality, you can watch this to see just what we have to deal with. Sure, we don't deal with the liberal loonies EVERY day, but they're always there and in larger numbers and with more in-put into our livelihood than the liberals in your neighborhoods could ever hope to be, except maybe in Cambridge and Northampton. It ain't easy.

Ironically, just a year later......

woodyd and Joel98 like this.
  2. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Thanks for posting this brother, it's a very interesting video to watch.

Oh and by the way, your description of being a college police officer is 100% spot on. Anyone looking for a campus PD job needs to read this post and watch this video first.

3. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

When a Police Department deploys new equipment (of any kind- firearms, cruisers, radios, medical bags), they should just do it. Have all the internal discussions with the professionals hired to run the PD, then purchase and deploy the equipment.
    No other industry takes so much public comment about the policies they should or should not have, the equipment they should or should not carry, and how to do their jobs. You don't see school superintendents having public meetings to ask what textbooks they should use, hospitals having public meetings on what type of medications to use, or the DPW director justifying the type of snowplow he purchased. People recognize that professional managers run these organizations, and make policy and equipment decisions based on their expertise. If a PD needs to purchase new firearms, they should make the purchase and deploy the equipment. It will probably take months for anyone to notice (most of the obnoxious liberals don't interact much with the po po, and even if they did see an armed Cop, they might just assume they're with the city PD, not "campus security" because they'd never be armed). If someone calls out the Department, the answer is that the decision was made by management based on operational and safety considerations. The firearms have been here for months and no one noticed until now. They're here to stay. Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission sometimes.

4. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Agreed, with the above and an interesting watch. The shorted haired glasses, an probably hyphenated last named, liberal academia lady, your never going to make happy. So it's not even worth trying because she can't wrap her head around violence and thinks if she doesn't see it currently, it will never happen. She said she will now have worry about bringing little kids with her to take a walk outside on campus and they will now have to "worry" about armed police being around her. That's a debate and conversation ender right there about this whole topic. All they should need to say is that, there might be a day, where an armed police officer might save one or multiple people's lives in an active shooter event by having a firearm they can deploy quickly. Maybe that day will never come, maybe it will never come because the bad guy was going to try it, but found out the police are armed there and decided against it. If that happens, you may never know how close you came to death, but it could be the day you, or someone you knows gets to see another sun rise unknowingly. So does that make having firearms worth it in the end. No offense to FRPD, but seconds count, they are minutes away. There should be no debate, they need to be armed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    kdk240, pahapoika, mpd61 and 2 others like this.
  5. Kilvinsky

Absolutely right. I do NOT recall what department it was (maybe my former job long before I got there) but the cops had been carrying only at night for a while. Then, the chief just decided that 24 hrs was the only rational thing to do. It DID take months for anyone to notice and when they asked when THIS started and were told, they kind of shrugged. Come to think of it, it WAS my former job. After several years of carrying, after I got there, the debate continued though it was a moot point at that time.

Agreed, make sure you get the approval of the powers that be and JUST DO IT! No worry about 'input' from a clientele you can assume will be left wing and against reality, just DO it. It was nice to hear though that not only was the administration in favor, but the STUDENT BODY had endorsed the idea. SCREW YOU FACULTY!

kdk240, mpd61, Joel98 and 1 other person like this.
  6. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

Did they ever get armed?

Joel98 likes this.
  7. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Yes they are, most community colleges are now.

sgtmike1980, mpd61 and woodyd like this.
  8. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Exactly how many of the 14 community colleges are armed now? Are you sure it's most?

Joel98 likes this.
  9. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Offhand I know that Massasoit, Bristol and Bunker Hill are armed. I want to say that STCC is armed but I'm not sure. Last I heard Quinsig was in the process and it looked like it would happen.
    Mass Bay is not armed. Middlesex doesn't have Police.
    I HOPE that Roxbury CC is armed, but doubt it. I'm not sure they even have Police.

mpd61 and Joel98 like this.
  10. Kilvinsky

I believe RCC is contract security. Middlesex HAD police decades ago, but budget over safety won out and it's now contract. Berkshire is also contract.

I have POLICE patches from both Roxbury and Berkshire, but they're from a LONG time ago and how long they existed is beyond me.

Joel98 and woodyd like this.
  11. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I went to the Police academy at Middlesex (Reading rents space to run their R/I at Middlesex) and the Securitas guards used to slowly drive by and stare at us when we were in formation. Honestly there were some cold winter mornings outside getting yelled at by the staff when I think we felt like they had it made compared with us.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  12. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

All are armed besides;

North shore community college - still working on it, almost there even though they've had the guns purchased and locked away for years

Berkshire - security

Roxbury - security

Middlesex - security

Northern Essex - security

Mass bay - unarmed and still working on it

Luckily ALL OTHER CC's now have guns.

13. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

North shore has had the guns purchased and locked away since 2012, believe it or not.

14. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Think that's what North-Eastern did. Rolled out the rifles, let Marty carry on for day and move on :cool:

Bunker Hill is armed ?
    Wow, the city is changing :)

mpd61, Kilvinsky and woodyd like this.
  15. USM C-4

USM C-4 MassCops Member

Well, true story... or so I have been told by persons whom I have no reason to mistrust...

Southern Miss had security, unarmed, until the 1960's. They were armed in the mid-1960's but had little authority. In the 1980's they became a Department of Public Safety, still armed. In the 1990's there was a large overhaul of law enforcement licensing in the state, leading to a POST-type commission and certifications.

At some point in the 1990's the current Director of Public Safety ordered that all the patrol cars be repainted to say POLICE. He also changed the badges and patches. A week or so later the following conversation reportedly took place:

UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT: "How long have we had a Police Department?"
    VICE PRESIDENT FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS: "What?"

Despite that, it stuck.

mpd61, Kilvinsky, kdk240 and 4 others like this.
  16. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

Man, the "campus security" thing gets me every single time. Even after the VP did the presentation stating they are POLICE OFFICERS with the SAME TRAINING as their peers. And even after they corrected her, she still said "security police". I don't get it!

mpd61, Kilvinsky and Joel98 like this.
  17. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

The problem is we are dealing with uneducated morons.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  18. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

She knows, she's doing it on purpose to delegitimize the department as security and not "real" police. Police have guns in the US. She doesn't view them as police, and doesn't think they should have guns. Even though she has been explained multiple time they are Police. She is probably the same person who reminds everyone she has a doctorate title in her name, and gets upset if you forget it.

Goose, mpd61, Kilvinsky and 2 others like this.
  19. Kilvinsky

OVER Educated morons, not uneducated. Naïve for sure.
    SPOT ON!

Joel98 likes this.
  20. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

You're right, I should've said uninformed, rather than uneducated.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  21. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Cape Cod Community is armed?:eek:
    That is kinda awesome!

22. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Yes

23. me823

me823 MassCops Member

We went through a lot of grieve at BCC when becoming armed. Many people call us security, or asked if we are "real Police." They asked what kind of qualifications we had, what training we were going through, if were were going to carry real bullets or rubber bullets, if we could just carry tasers instead of firearms. I couldn't believe the things I heard during our "open forums" were the college community could voice there concerns. Such a lack of respect for the title of campus police officer. If the college removed "campus" from our title and referred to us as police, maybe the public mind frame would change.
    Even when it was decided we could carry firearms, the psychological test we took had an added questionnaire for "campus police," and we had to go through more training than the standard MPTC qualifications per our administration. We are the only department in the college that has to prove then re-prove our competence in our job.
    We have been armed for about 3 years now and we still have students, faculty, staff "scared of our guns."

24. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

I am so glad they made it illegal to carry a taser without a firearm in this state. There would be a lot of admins giving cops tasers INSTEAD of firearms if that law was not in place.

Kilvinsky, pahapoika and woodyd like this.
  25. DrPepper

DrPepper New Member

That's not correct, and they are armed now

Kilvinsky likes this.