NOT A JOB POSTING. Bristol Comm. Coll. arming debate

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by Kilvinsky, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

So much to respond to, but I'll limit (YES, I REALLY WILL) my input.

First off, BROTHER (Sister?) I feel for you. I've been working at an educational institution for 36 years (2 different) and it still irks me when people say, "So, what do you do?" "I'm a Police Officer." "Oh, what town?" "Blah blah University." "Oh you work Security?" "Did I not just say I'm a Police Officer?" "whatever, but can you arrest people?"
    and on it goes. This will take decades to change, though it IS changing. How many of us remember when Sean Collier was killed. I know I called the media to bitch and it's obvious as hell that I was far from the only one because within an hour, Security Guard was dropped and Police Officer was the only termed used*, and I know there is NO WAY IN HELL I'M that influential. The term POLICE seems pretty clear to the informed, but to many, EVEN A LOT OF COPS (I'm so sad to say) it's an ambiguous term that clouds when the parent employer is revealed.

You work for a PD that has not been around as long as some of the larger ones, so it's more of a struggle for you. You also, due to having been around less that 50 years, face many moronic academics who never really left the 60s and kind feel superior to 'cops'. My department, and places like BU, Northeastern, UMass are more established and people have just gotten used to us being around and grudgingly accept us. Consider yourself blessed (and I'm sure you do) that you have an administration who's collective heads actually seem to be OUT of the sand. So many college presidents and boards of trustees are still burying their heads or can't manage to get them out of their asses.
    Some are so far entrenched in their asses, they run DEAN COLLEGE!

*Side note, I was pissed, I still AM pissed and I always WILL BE PISSED that the collective Campus Police contingent was seated BEHIND the State Police. I've brought it up before and by God I'll bring it up again and again, HE WAS ONE OF OURS and yet we were shoved BACK a dozen or so rows so the State could sit in front. Yeah, I'm VERY Pissed off to this day. A campus cop is murdered and a huge outpouring shows up for him and yet, the campus cops are not worthy of sitting in front. With a few honorable exceptions (people who are or have been on this board), should I ever die in the line of duty, I'd rather have the State Police SKIP my funeral rather than show up and make my own colleagues feel like second class cops. Sorry, rant over for the time being.

mpd61 and Goose like this.
  2. me823

me823 MassCops Member

Thanks for the reply. And yes its Brother lol. I know it will take a long time before we will be recognized as police. Just today there was an email sent out by a VICE PRESIDENT referencing the "See something, say something" campaign that campus security is doing....really? But in saying that, we have progressed in a positive direction and continue to progress. There is a new president taking the reigns this year so we will see where we go from here.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  3. Kilvinsky

Best of luck. God Speed John Glenn...er, me823.

4. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

That's great to hear they are finally armed, they were one of the last hold-outs.

As far as having the guns for several years, yes that is correct and was confirmed.

5. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Next up a purposal to arm Boston School PD… and its gone…

Kilvinsky, pahapoika and Joel98 like this.
  6. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

AFAIK, campus Police/SSPOs are not allowed to carry Tasers in MA. 501 CMR 8.00 governs the use of Tasers by law enforcement. Under this regulation, an "authorized officer" is defined as
    "A federal, state or municipal law enforcement officer, or member of a special reaction team in a state prison or designated special operations or tactical team in a county correctional facility."
    Given that only authorized Officers may carry Tasers, and Tasers may only be carried in accordance with 501 CMR 8.00, I don't see a way for campus Police to carry Tasers.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/taser-regulations.pdf

7. Kilvinsky

And no rifles. It's bad ju-ju for some people. :rolleyes:

Goose and woodyd like this.
  8. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

I would argue that officers employed by a state owned institution would be considered a "state law enforcement officer" under that CMR. But, it's all up for interpretation and that's just my opinion.

Joel98, Kilvinsky and woodyd like this.
  9. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Yes, that argument could certainly be made. Same for Transit Police seeing as the MBTA is a state agency.
    I was thinking more in terms of an SSPO at a private institution like my Dept.

Joel98 likes this.
  10. Kilvinsky

That is where this state is so far behind the real world. I cannot for the life of me see where the Capitol Police were MORE cops than UMass, Bridgewater State or Massasoit Community College and that is in NO WAY a slight to the Capitol Police (RIP). You are employed by the State in the capacity of a law enforcement officer, why in the HELL are you treated like a second class cops. "Oh, you can arrest HERE, but cross the street and, well, you're NO BODY!" and sadly it's often other cops that are often fucking them over! It's like the THIN BLUE LINE has a hell of a lot gray in it. If any cop in the Commonwealth has lost their job because there's a campus pd in your city or town, or if your pay has been low because of this, post on this thread, PLEASE.

With that said, I am glad and I hope and PRAY that the state colleges and universities DUMP SSPO (you're welcome Woody!) once and for all, fall under a uniformed state law governing ALL public institutions of higher learning (not the three currently in existence, and ignored) and NOT EVER be sucked into the Massachusetts State Police. NO MORE MERGERS! UNLESS, there is ONE, UNIFIED STATE UNIVERSITY POLICE. Similar to New York State but more unified and streamlined. They have ONE law covering them, and ONE uniform but each school has it's own chief and the cruisers are marked entirely different.
    ONE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC SAFETY for all universities and colleges, ONE agency with regional directors (captains or deputies) and so forth. THAT would be workable, but will never happen.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  11. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

I've always thought ONE "Massachusetts State Campus Police" agency or similarly titled would be the way to go. Everybody works for the same agency, and is simply assigned at one of the various public campuses. And everyone can work at the other campuses if needed. And everyone has state wide law enforcement authority. But, like you said, it will never happen.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  12. Kilvinsky

Every administration needs CONTROL!

Joel98 likes this.
  13. pjsweat1

pjsweat1 New Member

Which administration are you talking about? I presume you mean the College Administrations, but have you considered that the legislature would block it? Our unions don't work with each other, they work against each other to protect their members interests, not the interests of the citizens of the Commonwealth. Why wouldn't municipal or state police unions work against a State College PD with more than 250 officers? With statewide jurisdiction? Able to get details across the state? It makes sense to some, but not the ones in control with political clout.

14. Kilvinsky

Well, I essentially was focused on the individual administrations at the individual institutions, but you make a good point. As far as details statewide, that's already a moot point, as far as UMass goes anyway. They've been working each other's campuses for decades.

Each union SHOULD look out for it's individual members, that's the purpose and I for one would never advocate any college pouncing on another jurisdiction's jobs. If a city, town or state agency OFFERS extra details, well, that's fine and already happens in many locales, but to be standing up saying, "It's not on our campus, but it's OUR detail" is just wrong anyway.