Quantcast

Plymouth County Sheriff @ Independence Mall

Discussion in 'Sheriffs' started by Delta784, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SinePari Needs more complaints

Actually, many Sheriffs are on the highways because there is a ton of interdiction, being self-funded from seizures they make. Hillbilly County Sheriff Dept gets $50K of of drug money off the road, it goes to the Sheriff. MSP gets $50K off of I-95, it goes into the states general fund. In the last 10 years since I was traveling to and from Fort Bragg, NC, I was stopped in just about every state along the way.

And each county Sheriff that has main smuggling routes is trying to get their share of the pie before it gets to the next county.
  2. Delta784 Guest

Perfect example of the problems that can arise from having no unions or weak unions. If we were running interdiction on the highway, SPAM would rightfully have a cow.
  3. Mitpo62 Subscribing Member

I'll drink to that! :alcoholi:
  4. bbelichick Moderator

I appreciate the compliment, trust me. However, even good people get caught up in the system and change.

I love what I'm doing now and I would lose that if I was promoted to anything other than Sgt.

Even as a Sgt, you are at the whim of the powers that be...

As far as you are concerned, I think you would be a good NCO as well, just lay off the Mai Tais and other tropical drinks....or is that me?
  5. bbelichick Moderator

Compliments are just FLYING around here.

Sheriffs SUCK.

Now I feel better.
  6. SinePari Needs more complaints

Ask Gil about I-95 and his dept nailing everything coming northbound from RI. No complaints about them out there. SPAM is more concerned about the root of the problem which is a desk and 2 (or 3 at the most) covering hundreds of square miles.
  7. Delta784 Guest

Don't you think one of the reasons the brass feel they can get away with this is because other agencies will willingly pick-up the slack?

I ask my guys to not volunteer to do anything on another agency's turf, not out of disrespect to the individuals in the cruisers, but because I don't want us to be used as a pawn to screw with another agency's union.
  8. pahapoika Subscribing Member

and barracks that are falling down around them.

took something like 4 years to fix the front steps at the barracks down the street from me.

hooray for the sheriffs if they can get the money , but fix the damn steps to the police station before buying some fancy Winnebago aka the command center :)
  9. bbelichick Moderator

No, I truly believe that they just don't care, as long as no OT is burnt on their watch.

And yes, it's pathetic.
  10. 4ransom Subscribing Member

You know what i like about you bbelichick? You seem to have the same attitude as the real Bill Belichick. :cool:
  11. SinePari Needs more complaints

The new barracks recently opened was planned back in the 1950s.
  12. bbelichick Moderator

What do you mean the "real" one? You don't think I can coach an NFL team and still have time to hate the Sheriffs?
  13. 4ransom Subscribing Member

no, if you were the real bill belichick you would be too busy laying pipe down in new york city with the giants secretary...:DB:

AND HATING THE SHERRIFFS!!!!!!
  14. lawdog671 MassCops Member

Should the Central Mass Chiefs have turned down the money and let it go somewhere else? Yes to an agency that would use the money in which it was intended. That is the exact, take all I can get under shady circumstances attitude that got us to this point we're at now. Do you really believe if Washington grant people knew that Sheriffs here are nothing like down south, that they'd still give you that money?? I doubt it.
    Funny how redundancy is mentioned when it benefits you, but you snarl about it when someone says the state already does that.....
  15. OutOfManyOne Subscribing Member

The feds in DC know the Sheriffs are shit here in MAss and continue to give them grnats at least till last year. I know SPAM, Mass Chiefs and other Unions sent out a letter advising the Feds the Sherifss are frauds, so we'll see what happens.
  16. Otto Subscribing Member

Are you suggesting that the Sheriff and the Chiefs lied on the application?

I know of one police union that cried (and lied) to the feds that sheriffs have no authority, etc... Then they went on to state that they had a mock disaster and didn't invite the sheriff's office to participate because they are powerless, etc...

I had to laugh because the feds were very up front that to get the grant money there needed to be a regional plan in place, and essentially department rivalries had to be put aside.

Please provide the foundation on which you based your last sentence.
  17. bbelichick Moderator

Weird. Just about every public safety department in the State signed that letter declaring the Sheriffs as unfit for grants...including Police AND Fire.
  18. Otto Subscribing Member

The one I saw was from one individual local. I don't doubt that there was one as you describe.

If that is the case, don't you think the feds would have investigated the claims? I would think they would have.

Maybe they did and just found the claims unsupported by fact.
  19. bbelichick Moderator

I've seen it. It's legit.

It went out fairly recently, so if there is to be an investigation it is ongoing.

Funny how an entire Public Safety community can view an agency as one thing, but if that agency starts getting false delusions of grandeur than they can claim the other agencies views are "unsupported by fact"

Sheriffs ONLY involvement in Ma public safety is the housing of prisoners. That does NOT include:

Warrant Apprehension
    Investigations outside the Jail
    Traffic
    Command Centers
    Outside Tac Teams

Etc.
  20. gooday MassCops Member

Our #1 function is the jail but who are the police or fire to have any say what are functions are. They have no authority over any powers the Sheriffs have like the Sheriffs have no say over what the police and fire do. Just because you a police officer does not give you the power to dictate others functions in L.E. But I do agree that our #1 concern is the housing of inmates. But the Sheriff is still the highest ranking law enforcement official in the county. He may have no back round or function of it but it is what it is. Fire is not law enforcement so I have no clue what there problem is. But I do call it steping on toes if we are out potrolling streets, we can but we dont have to.If the P.D needs help in an area they know where we are and same for us if we need it we call.
  21. j809 Subscribing Member

And if you have a star badge you still get a gig, period.
  22. SinePari Needs more complaints

Kind of like the OUI operator we had who flipped his vehicle, gave his g/f a whirly-bird ride via medflight to UMass, showed his star, and said "we're on the same team, right?"
  23. 94c Subscribing Member

don't call us, we'll call you.

Damn, I forgot the number.
  24. j809 Subscribing Member

I hope after that, they had to surgically remove the star out of his ass. :D
  25. Otto Subscribing Member

The one I know of was sent out about two years ago.

The entire public safety community does not share your opinion. Most of the opposition to sheriffs having a mobile command vehicle is political, both amongst chiefs and unions. That is fine with me. There are competing interests and I understand that and don't take it personally.

I'm not an advocate of sheriffs patrolling. You claim that, "Sheriffs only involvement in Ma public safety id the housing of prisoners..." Clearly, this is your desire, but you state it as if it were fact, and it is not.

If it was not a fact we would not be discussing it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.