Quantcast

Police Seize $100K Worth Of ‘Bath Salts’ From Plaistow, NH Grocery Store

Discussion in 'New England' started by kwflatbed, Jun 10, 2012.

1. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 88K+Poster

BOSTON (CBS)- Law enforcement agencies say the synthetic drug epidemic has reached New England. Two people have overdosed on “bath salts” in the last two days.
    The product, typically sold in tobacco shops and convenience stores, despite its name, is rarely used to soften bath water. For the past year drug enforcement authorities have been warning against ingesting the chemicals that have been known to make people hallucinate, have suicidal thoughts, or panic attacks.
    The United States Drug Enforcement Agency banned the synthetic chemicals found in bath salts last year, but they’re found easily online under names like Vanilla Sky, Bliss, or Ivory Wave. Thirty-eight states have state-level bans, and Massachusetts is considering one.
    Friday morning a woman in Plaistow, New Hampshire, was taken to the hospital after she was found behaving erratically at the Shaw’s Plaza. She was carrying bath salts she admitted to ingesting.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...of-bath-salts-from-plaistow-nh-grocery-store/
  2. cc3915 Masscops Angel

After police seized more than $100,000 worth of bath salts and other synthetic drugs from a Plaistow store, other local departments are on the lookout for the drugs in their communities.
    Police responded to a medical call for a woman behaving erratically on Friday who later admitted to taking bath salts. Later that day, police and sheriff's deputies raided the Foods Plus grocery store at 5 Plaistow Road for selling the drugs and are continuing to investigate.
    Bath salt abuse only recently spread to New Hampshire. The Plaistow raid was the first of its kind in Rockingham County, according to Sheriff Michael Downing, but the problem is here.

http://www.eagletribune.com/latestnews/x136110389/Bath-salt-abuse-moves-into-Southern-N-H
  3. Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Amesbury just had some nut eat his foot this weekend because of this shit.
  4. cc3915 Masscops Angel

Foot in mouth disease?
    Johnny Law, USAF286, LGriffin and 4 others like this.
  5. Delta784 Guest

I have no experience with the shit (and hope to keep it that way), but a kid in North Quincy flipped out on this crap, and it took about 5-6 cops to get him down & restrain him.

I see real problems if people in small towns start using this stuff, and there's only 2 cops on-duty.
    corsair, LECSniper, LGriffin and 2 others like this.
  6. Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

I used to be flexible; however, there is no way most people can get their foot up to their mouth to eat it without causing other injuries to themselves.
  7. cc3915 Masscops Angel

I think that's the thing with this shit. It sounds a lot like angel dust in that it makes one do super-human feats while high on it.
  8. niteowl1970 Big In Japan

Be careful out there boys and girls.
    mtc, USMCMP5811 and cc3915 like this.
  9. Delta784 Guest

I've dealt with people on PCP, and pepper spray at least makes them close their eyes. However, one of the cops at the North Quincy incident told me that it had absolutely no effect whatsoever....the pepper spray was literally running into his eyes and he still had the thousand yard stare.
  10. Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Bath salts can cause various unintended side effects including: dilated pupils, poor concentration, teeth grinding, problems focusing visually, poor short-term memory, hallucinations, delusions, and erratic behaviour.

The most severe effects appear anecdotally to be linked with high doses or prolonged usage and that the effects may be due to users taking other intoxicants at the same time.

Other effects include changes in body temperature, increased heart rate, breathing difficulties, loss of appetite, increased sweating, discolouration of extremeties, anxiety, paranoia and depression.

When snorted it can also cause nose bleeds, and nose burns.

67% of bath salt users experienced sweating, 51% suffered from headaches, 43% from heart palpitations, 27% from nausea and 15% from cold or blue fingers, indicative of vasoconstriction occurring.

Doctors reported that of 15 patients they treated after taking bath salts in 2009, 53% were agitated, 40% had increased heart rates, 20% had systolic hypertension and 20% had seizures; three required treatment with benzodiazepines, predominantly to control their agitation. They reported that none of their patients suffered from cold or blue peripheries, contrary to other reports. Nine out of the 15 of patients had a Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) of 15 indicating that they were in a normal mental state, 4 had a GCS below 8, but these patients all reported using a central nervous system depressant, most commonly GHB, with bath salts. The patients also reported polydrug use of a variety of compounds.
    USMCMP5811, niteowl1970 and Delta784 like this.
  11. mtc High Priestess

And that nasty little side effect of eating one's own feet... or faces of their drug buddies...
  12. justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :)

Sounds like a self correcting problem if only they didnt attack innocent people.
    PLEASE be extra cautious dealing with these darwinites
    USMCMP5811 likes this.
  13. LGriffin Mother Führer

The only good that comes from that circumstance is a greater use of force, especially if it's a PD with a shitty union that doesn't have a mandatory of 2 clause in their contract.

Can you imagine? I wish they'd throw in some rat poison and put an end to this foolishness. When you've reached the point where you're willing to ingest mystery substances from questionable individuals, it's time to go.
  14. Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit

I wish they would take my suggestion and place a bar code on every shithead we deal with, embedded with their true name, dob and SS#. We could just scan them in like at the supermarket, find out when their last arrest and OD was, and on their third OD, no Narcan for you! Better to burn out than fade away, eh dopers?
    Usa8235 likes this.
  15. LGriffin Mother Führer

Amen, brotha!
    Funny, like a kitty with a ball of yarn, I have "scanned them in" identifying them by their supermarket cards. I've also scanned hands into the copy machine and uploaded them to the FBI for immediate identification. Worked every time.
    With all the fine acting i've done, i'm shocked that James Lipton has never requested an interview.
    Usa8235 likes this.