Poll: Vet visits a pricey trip for pet owners

Discussion in 'Relationships & Family' started by CJIS, Nov 30, 2011.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

[TABLE="class: esc-layout-table"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: esc-layout-thumbnail-cell"][​IMG]USA Today

[/TD]
    [TD="class: esc-layout-article-cell"]Poll: Vet visits a pricey trip for pet owners USA Today - ‎4 hours ago‎

LOS ANGELES - Vet visits cost pet owners an average of $505 dollars last year, according to a new AP-Petside.com poll, with those whose pets faced serious illness spending more than $1000 on average. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

That's LA.

Though for an "ear infection", I was charged about $250....

Turns out, taking him off potato based kibble clears up the ear boogers.

3. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

I've had some bills hit the $1500-2000 range, but that was for emergency care at the 24 hour vet. But, when my other cat was sick it was usually $300-400 at a time. I use CareCredit to pay the vet because depending on the amount you can stretch out payments over a few months to a year interest free. Plus you can use it at some dentists and for lasik, cosmetic surgery and hearing aids if the office accepts it. So, I usually try to get all our physicals done at once or stock up on food to get the year interest free. Not to mention, my vet's office is good they will hold off finalizing the bill for a few days if they know there will be additional charges.

I feel bad for people who's animals get sick and they can't afford to take care of them, but what always pisses me off at the vets are people who stand at the counter and bitch and moan about how much the bill cost them and it's usually in the area of $75-100 for a routine visit. I get a kick out of telling them what my bill is and seeing how quickly it shuts them up. If you can afford it you should shut up and pay it. But, if you can't afford a rabies shot; then, you might want to rethink the wisdom of owning a pet. I feel horribly for people who want to take care of their sick animals and don't have the money it's the idiots that bitch about having to provide the basics.

4. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 92K+Poster

You would not want to see what my yearly vet bill is
    and I get a shelter discount.

5. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

we had an old cat get attacked by something one night. thing was limping around the next day. took it to the vet and they start in on all this stuff about shots, quarantine, 48 hour boarding fee, etc.

it was something insane like $1500.

told them we'll just take it home and see if it gets better.

oh, you can't do that we'll have to report you for keeping an animal with possible rabies.

well, we ain't paying $1500 bucks for a cat.

OK, we can kill it for $50. fine , have a nice day you f**ks !

they mailed me a card two weeks later telling me the cat never had rabies.

6. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Funny this thread comes up.... "Stubby" the cockatiel croaked yesterday.