Probation & Parole

Discussion in 'Corrections' started by DEPAROLE, Sep 29, 2010.

1. DEPAROLE

DEPAROLE New Member

Hellon everyone,

I am a State Probation/Parole Officer for Delaware. I was wondering what is Massasschusetts deal with probation/Paorle. Are they under DOC? are the separate or one agency? Do they carry? Are the sworn? And where do you find out about employment? In Delaware, probation and parole are under the DOC. We are sworn officers with full police powers. I have searched the internet over and over and cannot find anything about the State Parole or State Probation.

Thank You for you help
  2. wb08

wb08 MassCops Member

Up here probation officers do not have any police powers. Employed by the Trial Court, rarely leave the Court House.
  3. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Probation department is where the hacks put many of their family and friends when they can't get a job otherwise.
  4. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

Massachusetts Parole Board - Executive Office of Public Safety

The Office of the Commissioner of Probation
  5. Rock

Rock Undefined

Completely and utterly untrue.

It depends on the chief of that courts department but Probation officers routinely make home visits to the people they supervise. They have limited powers of arrest meaning if they have someone they are supervising that has a warrant or they find a violation of their probation contract they can detain but it becomes an issue where they have to call the police to transport and process or book. Years ago they used to carry but have since gone to a "softer" approach. They are allowed to carry pepper spray and handcuffs.

They fall under the Mass Trial Court system but are their own department; separate from parole.
  6. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

To touch on this.

The job is very political. Any job within the state has some degree of politics in it....Welcome to Massachusetts.

That being said, if you can manage to land the job, What Rock said is very true. Usually if they have violations, they just issue probation violation warrants. I know Probation Officer in my court will check on their knuckle heads several times a month. A lot of the job is administrative as well though.

There are also "Associate Probation Officers" which assist Probation Officers. They tend to do more of the administrative duties within the department, among other things in the court house as well, for example they routinely sit in on court proceedings, and hearings, to express probation's requests to the judge. Thought lately with the hiring freeze, and being short handed, Associate P.O.'s are starting to monitor probationers and cases.

It is a great job, but like others have eluded to, it is political.
  7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

there was a civil service test for Parole Officer , but haven't heard or seen it lately
  8. DEPAROLE

DEPAROLE New Member

ya, i def dont want probation. We are sworn officers in DE and have powers of arrest. We are autonomous and do our own warrants, transports, arrest. searchs, raids, etc... I guess im looking more for parole in MA. I found that they are considered Special State Police in MA and have full police powers. Thats all i found. lol its elusive up there. I check the Civil Service Website daily but nothing lately. Ill keep checking.
  9. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

That term causes much debate around these parts.
  10. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

You're better off where you are for the forseeable future... given the political fallout over Probation going on...

And I don't really know about "full police powers" for parole officers, but hey I'm only a silly civilian dispatcher!
  11. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Wrong!!!

As far as Parole goes, the guys that I've had to back over the years while they picked up their violators, are most definately armed, and my guess is they have power to arrest on violation warrnts otherwise they must have been making false arrests all along.:rolleyes:

wb08. where did you come with that ininformed answer?
  12. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

I work with both probation and parole on a regular basis. Both agencies come out with us for checks and warrant sweeps. The Probation Officers DO NOT carry firearms but they have equal authority to gain access to a residence as a Parole Officer does as long as the suspect is under their supervision. Parole Officers do carry firearms and they have a lot of power over their parolees. They can arrest one for violation of parole permit on the spot and they get courtesy booked by us then it's straight to the HOC to continue serving their sentence, whereas a Probation Officer has to have a court hearing to get a warrant for probation violation. Neither have typical police powers but each have powers that police officers do not. IMHO Parole is the way to go, from what I've seen it's a lot less of an administrative job and more hands on.
  13. OCKS

OCKS Subscribing Member

deparole google www.boston.com the boston globe and see what is going on with our probation dept.
  14. DEPAROLE

DEPAROLE New Member

Yah i get that every time i mention special state police when i comes to parole. NJ is the same way. they go to a 26 week police academy and have full powers. The only diff is they dont write traffic tickets. They can pull you over, but mostly do not. They call locals for that. What is the fallout with probation in MA? I know that MA like NJ Probation and Parole are two separate entities. With parole working under DOC and being sworn, and probation under the courts and being adminstrative.

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

I definately want Parole. I do enjoy being a Parole Officer and I want to continue, just in MA or NJ which ever would hire me. Damn economy.