Quinn Bill to be cut (and other PD money)

Discussion in 'Pay, Benefits & Contract Discussions' started by Chief Wiggins, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Chief Wiggins

Chief Wiggins MassCops Member

From the desk of Sgt. James Machado, MPA Executive Director.

Quinn Bill To Be Cut
    Jan 27, 2009 5:42 PM -- Quinn Bill to be cut as underfunded in new budget. More to follow wednesday. Also new speaker is Rep. DeLeo on Wednesday.

Crvtte65: Here is a link to the FY2010 PCIPP line item. In theory when each stage of the budget process is decided this link will still work and show the various recommendations of funding

http://www.mass.gov/bb/h1/fy10h1/brec10/act/h80000040.htm
  2. LawMan3

LawMan3 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Quinn Bill to be cut

Oh boy, knew this was gonna be coming, here we go.......
  3. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

I've heard something about raising the retirement age from 55 to 59.
  4. LawMan3

I hear retirement is no longer an option...now you must work til you die in order to receive any benefits ;)
  5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

might grandfather officers with Quinn and freeze it for newbies
  6. Hawk19

Hawk19 MassCops Member

If they don't raise the limit before they cut Quinn, it'll be amazing how many guys put in their papers.
  7. LawMan3

There will be plenty of vacancies for LEO jobs in mass if that happens...and the problem with that is as long as deval is our "governor", those spots will never get filled and he'd still probably cut more cop jobs - talk about a big "screw you" to the people working their asses off to protect this state

wishful thinking j - and I really hope it works out that way, especially for those who use that extra cash to help pay for mortgages

that could be a devastating cut
  8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I think you'll see zero or reduced funding from the state until this economic crisis passes, then an attempted overhaul which includes grandfathering existing participants, and going to a flat rate for new enrollments.
  9. Chief Wiggins

Chief Wiggins MassCops Member

And for the majority that is left with the Quinn being "cut", and rising health care on July 1 this just translates to working more to make up the difference. That is if you have the opportunity to work OT and details.

I am really curious how much will be cut, I believe the state pays 50 million. For a multi billion dollar budget this is peanuts. My guess he will cut it in half, and he probably believes why not he has already blown any chance with us.
  10. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Machado has been saying this was going to happen for a long time now! This will cause GREAT stress for already strapped municipalities trying to fund it!
  11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The MPA totally dropped the ball on the flagmen issue, so I have ZERO faith in them for anything else, including the Quinn Bill. I'll pay the dues each year to get the window sticker for my wife's car, but I think the MPA sucks in regards to controversial issues.
  12. LawMan3

+1
  13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Arizona is looking better everyday
  14. BRION24

BRION24 Educating the public

I would hope that the Quinn Bill is one thing that our Unions fight tooth and nail for. A lot of guys depend on that money and you will see a lot of Police Officers in extreme financial difficulty is they get rid of it. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
  15. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Kudos to the municipalitiess that have CBA language stating they will fund their half (or even %100 for some) of the Quinn regardless if the state funds the other portion. For the MSP, if the funding ain't there, it's %100 that ain't there.
  16. BB-59

BB-59 MassCops Member

How many LE and Corrections unions backed the "Cadilac Man"?

We all love promises even when we know that they are BS!

Our new Commander n' Cheif for example.
  17. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

The police deal with lying, two-faced, smiling, back-stabbing a$$holes for a living...and that's just management and some coworkers;)! Seriously, any cop worthy of the title could see through Deval (and other Democrats) BS. Those cops that endorsed/voted for them...guess what that makes those 'cops'?

Massachusetts has been in trouble for a while; it wasn't apparent before because the federal government was there to bail us out. Now the feds can't even help themselves, and their proposed solutions will not work: they didn't work for Hoover or FDR, so why would they work now? Einstein said that the definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing over and over, expecting different results. I'm no Einstein, but I call that stupid. This is what happens when stupid, untalented people are hired to run the government.

So, what will the police do when the Quinn Bill is axed and there is no "grandfather" clause? A big, fat nothing. What's that? You'll vote against them? Big Deal! Like Lenin said, "...it's not the votes, it's who counts the votes..." (sorry, both 'quotes' are paraprased...)

In any event, did you ever wonder what might have been had Guy Fawkes succeeded?
  18. OCKS

OCKS Subscribing Member

It's ironic that on the same day that a State Trooper is killed in the line of duty that it appears that our beloved gov. is going to drop the hammer on the quinn bill.
    Details, Quinn Bill, Retirement changes, law enforcement grants, "together we can" f**k the cops. Thanks Deval.
  19. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I find it hard to believe that the cities and towns are going to be able to fund this at all! The financial crisis is bad from the Fed down to the smallest town! We are all in a world of SHIT!

And as far as the MPA goes, (and trust me I am not nieve about the MPA) there was nothing anyone could do to save the details. Senior, (I lie to you then bend you over without even the coutrasey of a reach around) had his plan set to screw with the police and the detail thing was just the start! His mission will be complete when he has police officers making requests for food stamps!
    :sb: :cussing:
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Municipal police unions which have appropriate CBA language will be able to grieve the municipality not funding Quinn, but they have no standing with the state. Worst case scenario would be a 50% reduction in percentages, which sucks, but is certainly better than nothing.
  21. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

They didn't even try; they just rolled over to take it up the ass, and in fact actively discouraged another police organization (MMPC) from making an effort, saying "everything is all set".

How did that work out?? :2up:
  22. chief801

chief801 Subscribing Member

If the Quinn Bill is cut, it will take 8 years to get back to where I am today with Quinn, and that is only with a 3% raise every year that is probably not coming. I, for one, would definitely have to leave. I couldn't afford to stay with a $24k paycut and no opportunities for O.T. Tough times ahead my friends...certainly glad I didn't buy the "McMansion" or the BMW...I always had this fear in the back of my mind.
  23. chief801

chief801 Subscribing Member

Must have been a really slow news day. We had news crews from three different stations covering this non-story.

This just in, proposed Quinn cuts total 15 million out of the 57 million needed to fully fund it....
  24. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Good lord, I keep my house at 65-66 and walk around in shorts and a t-shirt.
  25. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The state police get the Quinn Bill regardless if it is funded or not. Its in their CBA.