Quantcast

Quinn Bill to be cut (and other PD money)

Discussion in 'Pay, Benefits & Contract Discussions' started by Chief Wiggins, Jan 28, 2009.

1. j809 Subscribing Member

Medford Wins Quinn Arbitration

We have just learned that an arbitrator has returned a finding that states the city of Medford is responsible for entire Quinn Bill payments. The department had Quinn payments cut earlier this year and will now be entitled to retroactive payments, as well as full payments in the future. We await to see how city officials will handle the decision. This will immediately impact throughout the state. Although thankful for this decision, the battle goes on. Ultimately the courts will decide other cases that have been filled. The MPA stands on full alert to any legislative proposals in reaction to this decision.
  2. Lost MassCops Member

Arbitration means nothing. City "can't afford it," so arbitration decisions are now irrelevant and unenforceable. You might be able to keep your arbitration decision if you give some back to the City.

FWIW, I think you should sit down and tell the City that you don't agree with the award, because you need more- you can't afford your car payments.
  3. j809 Subscribing Member

Its binding arbitration and this is a major win for other PDs throughout the state. Short of a town being bankrupt they have to abide by it.
  4. Deuce screw you...

Binding arbitration means nothing, look at Boston fire..
  5. Lost MassCops Member

Kind of what I was getting at there...
  6. OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Binding arbitration lost it's teeth as it relates to public employee unions as a result of the pssage of Prop 2 ½ in the early 80s. The only thing arbitration does is mandate the municipalities executive (mayor or town manager) must recommend the arbitors finding.
  7. SinePari Needs more complaints

Funny how some large cities want state money for Quinn, but refuse to accept short-term state police patrols in problem areas in the name of "protecting their work."

<--------ducking for cover...
  8. Deuce screw you...

Yup, just reiterating with a different spin..

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Any time you big road boys wanna come into my podunk town and hump my calls, lemme know.. frag out..
  9. SinePari Needs more complaints

Last humping I saw you doing involved a wildly enthusiastic call for a lost wallet report waiting for you at the station. PBCFLCop? Where do I sign?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
  10. Deuce screw you...

Enthusiastic.. Yep that's me... Shoulda seen duh 2 toofless wundahs waitin' ta tell me dare woes....

In my defense; if someone was actually giving the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts its rightly due, instead of sitting next to me listening to my righteous stories of actual police work, I would have been out proactively policing the "heart of Massachusetts"... ..enthusiasticaly....
  11. SinePari Needs more complaints

"No shit, there I was...up to my knees in expended LAWs, grenade pins, and '60 links...giving the shit-stabbers the good news..."
  12. Deuce screw you...

LAWs and 60 links? Showing yer age old man..

Not me, I was a chairborne REMF pog. Heck I shoulda got a Purple Heart for the callouses on my ass and hemorroids I had to endure.. I was soooo un-appreciated.. Firing weapons caused my silky smooth hands to blister and trigger finger to cramp..

As far as being a cop though; I am infused with gung-ho enthusiasm..
  13. Deuce screw you...

Nothing?? C'mon I had tears flowing as I was typing...
  14. SinePari Needs more complaints

No, no, no...that was aces. I got distracted by the women in uniform thread. Ya know, hoes before bros...
  15. Deuce screw you...

Well played, carry on...
  16. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 89K+Poster

Boston cops sue for $10M from Quinn Bill cuts

By O’Ryan Johnson

Members of the Boston patrolmen’s union are suing the city for back payments of the “Quinn Bill” - a state-mandated pay boost for higher education that was cut from the budget earlier this year.
    The Menino administration blasted the suit yesterday, saying it would cost the cash-strapped city an additional $10 million.
    “If the plaintiffs were successful with the lawsuit, it would be equivalent to another $10 million local-aid cut to the city,” said city lawyer John Dunlap.
    The Quinn Bill gives cops a bonus for associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees, half of which is funded by the city, with the rest by the state. But the state slashed Quinn Bill reimbursements last year from $55 million to $10 million. In response, the city cut payments to cops by nearly half.
  17. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 89K+Poster

Police pay system questioned, but funds approved

WESTMINSTER — Residents last night voted for the town to appropriate $30,141 to cover the state’s unpaid portion of Quinn Bill funds.

Introductory statements at the special town meeting showed the divisiveness of the issue. The Board of Selectmen was divided, with two in favor and one against, but issued no minority opinion.

“This article is not asking voters to say they are in favor of, or to rescind the Quinn Bill,” said Board of Selectmen Chairman John Fairbanks. “That is something that could be added to a future town meeting.”

“The question tonight is, ‘Are you going to pay for the services received last year?’” said Selectman Joseph Flanagan. The majority of the Advisory Board was in favor of the motion, but member Peter Normandin opposed it.

Full Story:
    Police pay system questioned, but funds approved
  18. Lost MassCops Member

You know, I just saw this. The gaul of Menino to even make this suggestion. "I know, we owe you $10 million, but we can't afford it. Sue us? Didn't you hear, we can't afford it!"

What do you suppose would happen if I went down to City Hall next week and said "I can't afford my (insert ridiculous cause here) tax this year, but it's OK because I just can't afford it." How about if BPD did this, and said the money to pay the tax was in the $10 mil the city owes them? I bet they wouldn't even find a sympathetic ear.
  19. jbarrett MassCops Member

I wasn't sure where to post this list of legislators that voted against Quinn...look at all those (D)'s!
  20. m3cop MassCops Member

Damn!!!! Looks like a really bad report card:redcarded:!!!
  21. OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Just keep in mind the reason there are no "R's" on that sheet is that the Republicans had a few different amendments that would have also cut Quinn in different ways. Additionally, if you don't see you legislators name, don't assume they voted FOR you. Remember many of them took that BS advice from the ethics commission that if they were in anyway related to a cop they had to abstain from voting.
  22. j809 Subscribing Member

Does anyone know how much Quinn was funded for fy11? Last year they funded around 10% instead of 50%.
  23. Bloodhound MassCops Member

FY10 was 10 million, FY11 was 5 million.
  24. Deuce screw you...

j, no one's going to answer any of your posts cuz, well, that awesome sig of yours is awesomely distracting and no one will read them. Don't change it either..
  25. j809 Subscribing Member

You'd give up at least 10% of your Quinn to hit that. :teeth_smile: