Random Question/Training Safety

Discussion in 'Miltary | DOD Police' started by Krav-ist, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Krav-ist

Krav-ist New Member

Hey all.

First off, thanks to all military personnel for their service to our country. I have a question that still hasn't yielded to a good half hour of googling, so hopefully the fine people of this board can help me out.

I'm a defensive tactics instructor for my department. Unfortunately, injuries (while they can be minimized by being careful and smart) are pretty much inevitable in training. In the boxing portion of my academy, for instance, we had a least a half dozen concussions and (I think) a broken face-bone or two. Its a tough tightrope to walk between intensity/realism and safety. (I use the example that it would be great training for me to do several lines of meth and attack my coworkers with a machete, but that would have an uncomfortably high rate of officer-related stabbings and instructor-related lead poisoning. Whereas something like shadowboxing is fairly safe but doesn't have the same training value as an actual fight. And yes, I know shadowboxing is important because fundamentals matter, I'm just illustrating a point. You need to strike a balance.)

Anyway, while talking about this with a coworker I mentioned that elite military units can average a death a year in training. I thought about it later, and realized that I read this in a Tom Clancy book.

So I'm wondering how true it is. Like I said, its tough to find statistics on training deaths, period. A death a year for (relatively small) elite special forces units seems high, but considering the inherent danger of certain high risk operations (like parachuting into water or wrestling crocodiles, which I presume special forces do regularly) it doesn't sound that crazy. I'd love to hear what Masscops thinks.

2. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

00e0e_1pDzEwBHdFq_600x450.jpeg
    I.B.T.L.

Killjoy, frank, Pvt. Cowboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

There are much better people that could answer this than me.....but training to operate at the very pointy end of the spear carries with it inherent risks. Parachute accidents, dive accidents, helicopter accidents, shoothouse accidents, environmental accidents....etc. Many large organizations (Big Army, Police Depts) run by bureaucrats are inherently risk-averse. Someone gets killed or injured in training...they respond by scaling back or reducing training. Now that makes the training safer, but less effective. Their only concern is what looks good on paper, and less accidents are more quantifiable than increased effectiveness and performance. Careless accidents can and should be addressed, but a death or even multiple deaths does not mean that the training is flawed....just rigorous. The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat. Best to work out the kinks and weakness in practice than when under fire.
    When the pendulum swings to over-safety, you get Big Army wearing reflective PT belts at all times.

mpd61 and Goose like this.
  4. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

So after that long preamble, we finally arrive at the question at the very end of your post?

If all that you are asking is for facts (and/or discussion?) on training deaths in the "elite" factions of the military, I believe you will be hard-pressed to find that data.

frank and Hush like this.
  5. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member