Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 68 Posts
gotta love it when the ivory tower goes after ya. Ya know because that extra 50k is better served in funding__________.

Im sure not a lick of this cut in manpower will find its way into any literature parents could view.

Im sure not a lick of this cut in manpower will find its way into any literature parents could view.
Heck no, in fact now they can add a glossy, full color brochure on the new campus they aren't being able to build with all that money they're saving!

Garda, you are RIGHT. If you care about who is looking out for and over your kids, you want trained Police Officers who can take whatever action might be needed, whether the college frowns upon it or not. At the very least a well trained and equipt professional in-house security agency.

I personally have nothing against Securitas, I've never worked for them and most of the guards where I work are quite competent, but I know what THEY say about the company and if it's like most private contract security firms, the employee is the last thing they give a shit about, which means you often (NOT always) get whatever applies. I've met more than my fair share of semi-brain-dead individuals working for those companies who got the job because they had a semi-steady pulse and spot needed filling.

I cannot stress enough, this is not reflective of ALL contract guards, I've met MANY I have a great deal of respect for, it's the company management and their intentions that are always suspect.

I do have to say, as I passed through RegisCollege this week, I really liked the new VOLVO wagon parked on a beautiful hill with a vanity plate reading "REGIS". It is unclear at this time who actually drives this fancy vehicle, but I can only Guess!!

Stay safe!
"The Watchdog"
Respectfully,
Icancu2
Ohhhh, ohhhh I know who. The President of the College, that's who!

The same President whose daughter is a State Trooper and lives there for free as well. The same President whose daughter is a State Trooper and ex-husband was a Police Detective, yet she would not allow the Police Officers patrolling her school to carry sidearms, giving them all of the necessary tools to properly protect the student and faculty body.

The same President who gave herself a raise a few years ago, despite all the cutbacks and penny pinching at the college and now inevitable layoffs! WTG Madam President!

It was and is still a good group of guys who want to do the job properly, but simply are not allowed. Don't even get me started on the Brass! :banghead:

Ohhhh, ohhhh I know who. The President of the College, that's who!

The same President whose daughter is a State Trooper and lives there for free as well. The same President whose daughter is a State Trooper and ex-husband was a Police Detective, yet she would not allow the Police Officers patrolling her school to carry sidearms, giving them all of the necessary tools to properly protect the student and faculty body.

The same President who gave herself a raise a few years ago, despite all the cutbacks and penny pinching at the college and now inevitable layoffs! WTG Madam President!

It was and is still a good group of guys who want to do the job properly, but simply are not allowed. Don't even get me started on the Brass! :banghead:
My spidy sense tells me you're angry. Seems pretty freakin' justified to me.

My spidy sense tells me you're angry. Seems pretty freakin' justified to me.
Jim,

I am mad that it had to come to this. I jumped ship last June, because the situation was getting worse and worse then. Regis could have been made into a good thing with not much effort. That is the problem though, there was not much effort made. You can't speak your mind at all there, even for such a small department. If you question or comment on anything, you are "labled". No matter how polite or fact providing you are, you are given the "How dare you speak up" treatment.

Regis could have been a good thing, but it was driven into the ground by "yes men" untrained brass. Somebody must have had provocative pictures of somebody somewhere doing something they weren't supposed to, because most of the crap we then/ they now had/have to deal with was/is unbelievable, even by Regis standards.

WTG Regis Admin!

Jim,

I am mad that it had to come to this. I jumped ship last June, because the situation was getting worse and worse then. Regis could have been made into a good thing with not much effort. That is the problem though, there was not much effort made. You can't speak your mind at all there, even for such a small department. If you question or comment on anything, you are "labled". No matter how polite or fact providing you are, you are given the "How dare you speak up" treatment.

Regis could have been a good thing, but it was driven into the ground by "yes men" untrained brass. Somebody must have had provocative pictures of somebody somewhere doing something they weren't supposed to, because most of the crap we then/ they now had/have to deal with was/is unbelievable, even by Regis standards.

WTG Regis Admin!
I know where there are more than 1 Picture of the Current Chief and his Deputy..:) Oh the stories I could tell on those two !!!!!!

Any Media interest in this? Can anybody get somebody interested?

Roger, shame you had to leave, but under those circumstances, you did the right thing. Had it been your main source of income you would have been STUCK, but you were lucky to be in a better position.

That kind of atmosphere is at a lot of places to varying degrees. At least in some of the places the department admin, as evil as they may be, have a good background so they at least kinda know what they're doing. If you take people who don't know squat AND are evil backstabbing scum, it could ruin ANY department and chase away good, dedicated people...like you.

I would bet the college admin is dazzled by these clowns level of BS think they're the cat's meow! (there's probably some pictures too. I often wondered how a certain Deputy Chief kept HIS job at my place. Remember J M?)

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

That's a true fantasy. Expose idiots in the press and embarass the life out of them until they finally quit. But be honest, a small college PD's admin isn't very news worthy outside our profession. Hell, there was scandal at my place and it was only lightly covered. Unless someone dies violently, small schools are often ignored by the media.

I'm NOT advocating anything!!!!

My Crystal Ball says the media is going to be VEEEEEEERY interested in Regis College all day today...

Stay safe out there guys.

That's a true fantasy. Expose idiots in the press and embarass the life out of them until they finally quit. But be honest, a small college PD's admin isn't very news worthy outside our profession. Hell, there was scandal at my place and it was only lightly covered. Unless someone dies violently, small schools are often ignored by the media
That was almost scary that you wrote that 3 days ago....

My Crystal Ball says the media is going to be VEEEEEEERY interested in Regis College all day today...

Stay safe out there guys.

That was almost scary that you wrote that 3 days ago....
Just remember.....Nothing happens on these sleepy college campuses...
Why do they need police anyway?
:skull:

Do you suppose the incident overnight at the campus will have any impact on the campus police?
Yes! They will get the blame and be outsourced ASAP!

This whole thing was blown out of proportion by the media. Everybody knows that campuses are housed within bubbles and no one is ever hurt. These two where not Regis affliliated, so not Regis' problem.

Please note sarcasm except for the outsourcing. Its all about spin.

It is a terrible event, but sign of the times. This is exactly the type of element that now frequents and live among the regular, everyday students at Regis and on a regular basis. The Officer (one sole man patrolling on overnight shift) couldn't have done anything to protect the kid, had he/she been in the right spot at the right time, regardless. No firearms on the Police and the students and outsiders all know it.

As unfortunate as this was, now maybe the burden and responsibility will be put squarely on the shoulders of where it needs to be, on Regis's President England, she will wake up and the department will be properly staffed and given the tools they need to protect their community. The luck wave that she has been riding (no serious or reported serious incidents) to this point has just run out! What she said coudln't or wouldn't happen there just did! Step down President England or do your job properly!

As an Institutional Cop Expert, I can tell you with 99.67673% certainty that Regis Admin isn't going to change a thing with their campus PD. They have already asked and answered their own questions, in their own minds, anything related to arming their PD. We all see the result.

There are two tangible issues identified here:

1. The Police at Regis aren't armed...and EVERYBODY knows it.

2. the word "campus", preceeding Police/Security/Public Safety, diminishes whatever title follows. It's simply unnecessary. I mean who says "The Waltham municipal police" or the "Greenfield municipal police"?

The two above issues combine to severely impact both the factors of deterrence, and public perception of, the Police Department at Regis, or any other unarmed institution for that matter. But then again, what do I know about it?

As an Institutional Cop Expert, I can tell you with 99.67673% certainty that Regis Admin isn't going to change a thing with their campus PD. They have already asked and answered their own questions, in their own minds, anything related to arming their PD. We all see the result. QUOTE]

+1, I agree 1000% that they wont change a thing about the dept in terms of improving equipment etc. The only thing that might change is the Campus PD will probably make stricter changes/rules, starting with guest registering and such.

Ah yes.. The old lets put in a local town police detail in on Campus to make everyone feel safer.

At the end of the day its blame the campus police for everything and not look at the underlying issues.

I bet by next year (if not by next month) business as usual at Regis. Regis Police sounds like a department that had potential given good police administration and staffing.

Other major colleges in the area like Bentley and Brandeis carry.

When HR moves are made to replace dedicated full-timers with part-timers. This is not a good thing. Nothing against part-timers with any part-time job you do the best you can but then realize.. in some cases its a dead end. no raise no benefits.

The department then becomes a revolving door and nothing gets done.

Nothing against private schools they do serve a purpose. If I had kids I would send them to a State School.

Inside sources tell me that on the early morning of the stabbing, a single patrol officer was on duty to cover the entire school campus. A second officer was covering dispatch duties. It was also learned that, there was no additional staffing with a plain clothed agent for the department to cover the so called "AFTER HOURS MIXER" according to inside sources. In collecting facts on the staffing thru the same contacts as earlier reported, this "one" officer coverage is S.O.P. since the lay offs took place. No effort by the administration to maintain patrol duties by two officers has been made to help protect the fully occupied dorms and classroom spaces.

1. Ah yes.. The old lets put in a local town police detail in on Campus to make everyone feel safer.

2. Other major colleges in the area like Bentley and Brandeis carry.

Exactly! The same two points that erode the ability of Regis PD
to be taken as a serious deterrent to criminal activity!

Nothing against private schools they do serve a purpose. If I had kids I would send them to a State School.
Darn right! Bridgewater State, Salem State, U/Masses, Massasoit
doesn't have this stuff going on with their PD's around!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.