School Police Officer, BPS

Discussion in 'New England Area Law Enforcement' started by CJIS, Feb 13, 2012.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

School Police Officer, BPS

Boston Public Schools - Boston, MA 02108 (Back Bay-Beacon Hill area)
    Title: School Police Officer Reports to: Chief of... or designee Terms: Boston Police Officer Union, hourly rate for School Police Officer, 40 hours per week...
  2. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

Unarmed, tough job for terrible pay. I dont know how the BPS Police Guys/Gals do it but I give them ALOT of credit.........
    Kilvinsky, firefighter39 and k12kop like this.
  3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You also have to have/maintain Boston residency.

They used to send their people to the Boston PD Academy, which might make it worth it alone.
  4. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Unarmed? Yikes

Perhaps but I am sure they have it written in the contract that they make you stay for a few years. I guess if you can tough it out and deal with what sounds like a shit sandwich for a few years it would be Ok.

I wonder how much credence working for BPSPD would help as far as getting onto Boston if you scored well on CS.
  5. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

Soxrock hit the nail on the head, Special Officer (Rule 400) resident for 10 years, not a bad stepping stone if you are still young enough for CS. Good gig if your kids are in school (Believe it or not we do have some good ones) shit it's a paycheck....
    Kilvinsky likes this.
  6. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

Are they limited to school property like some Campus Cops or can they go off site for some situations?
  7. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

School property
  8. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

BSP, BPD, Probation, and Transit do team up every day for what is know as StopWatch

StopWatch quells student crime in time

School is back in session, and the MBTA Transit Police is working with other law enforcement and local youth groups to ensure students are staying in line.

A joint effort involving T police, the Boston schools and probation officers has led to improved adolescent behavior on buses and trains, according to officials.

Dubbed StopWatch, the collaborative uses officer and community member presence as a preventive measure to put an end to crime before it occurs.

http://www.metro.us/boston/local/article/967254--stopwatch-quells-student-crime-in-time
    Kilvinsky likes this.
  9. ecpd402

ecpd402 Subscribing Member

I dont think they send them to a academy anymore. The school police officers I know did not go to a academy, they took the rule 400 test and had ojt
  10. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

11. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

I think they're not under the same version of Rule 400 as privately employed Specials, just like Housing is and Munis were. It's sad that private specials can carry a .38, but a BOSTON SCHOOL POLICE OFFICER cannot carry even a .22.

There are loads of good kids in the Boston School system, but it's like every community of every description, you never have to worry about the good ones, just the bad ones, and the bad ones in the Boston School system are HORRIBLE!

As for the StopWatch, I'm always glad to see inter-cooperation between departments. Balkanization doesn't help anyone and in fact can HURT the law enforcement mission. "NO, THIS IS MINE!" is childish and detrimental. Hell, "Sesame Street" has been promoting COOPERATION for years which only shows, it's aimed at a much more mature audience than some unions and organizations.
    JamnJim18 likes this.