SERVICE STRIPES/HASH MARKS

Discussion in 'University & Campus Police' started by DC813, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DC813

DC813 MassCops Member

How many campus departments authorize or mandate the wearing of service stripes/hash marks for years of service, and how many years of service per stripe/hash mark, and on what uniform apparel are they worn??????
  2. DC813

DC813 MassCops Member

That should say STRIPES, not STRIPS on the posting.....
  3. Officer Dunngeon

Officer Dunngeon Out of the Loop

4. Gil

Gil Administrator Staff Member

I thought it was universal, 4 years per hash mark?
  5. ecpd402

ecpd402 Subscribing Member

I thought is was one per three years of service like the army. That did give me a good idea to bring up for our department dress uniforms.
  6. Gil

SERVICE STRIPES:

Service stripes (called hash marks) indicate length of service. One stripe is worn on the left sleeve of jumpers for each full 4 years of active or Reserve service in any of the armed forces, or any combination thereof, such as 2 years in the Army and 2 years in the Navy. Scarlet hash marks and rating badges are worn on blue uniforms; blue hash marks on white uniforms.

http://www.tpub.com/content/advancement/12018/css/12018_336.htm
  7. tntdefense

tntdefense MassCops Member

the Hash strips that I have seen on PO's have always stood for 5 years each?? You may want tro double check with the surrounding PD's to see if they use them and what they stand for. Last thing you want to have your adjacent dept's have marks that mean one thing and yours mean another. Would make your dept look goofy.

Just my opinion.

Rememeber in this field you never want to bring your work home.
    :idea:
  8. Gil

APD is 4 years per hash mark
  9. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

My last dept (Mass), it was 1 mark for 3 years of service, my current dept (Fla) has 1 mark for every 2 years of service.
  10. fscpd907

fscpd907 Subscribing Member

DC813

Your old friend Sgt. WPK claims 1 hash for every 4 years of service / and worn on the left sleeve of winter uniform and cruiser jacket.

Why do most of the old time cops wear their name tags just over the pocket on the bottom right side of their jackets ?
  11. mazz

mazz MassCops Member

fscpd907,

Somethings will never change.
  12. PearlOnyx

PearlOnyx Subscribing Member

Presently, only our Honor Guard uses the hash marks. They are not used on the standard long sleeve winter uniforms. Presently, we are using one hash mark per two years. However, as we are not personally fit for uniforms (when you get on, you hit the closet, and find a jacket that fits you) some of the hash marks are a bit innacurate. I'd actually like to see us use the millitary four year standard, and have everyone get on line with the correct amount, but I might be asking too much :wink:
  13. Mitpo62

Mitpo62 Subscribing Member

When I worked at BSC it was one hash mark for every three years of service. Unless of course you are the DC then you get to wear one for every six months of service. Makes that sleeve look like a TRUE seasoned veteran!
  14. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Don't forget he gets hash marks in his skivvies too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :L: :L: :L: :wink:
  15. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

Oh.... :uc: :uc:
  16. Mitpo62

Mitpo62 Subscribing Member

BSC DC applying for a chief's position at Massasoit? Say it isn't so!
  17. mpd61

I know he would, if he could, and he might have, but that was last year, so if he did, he didn't. (get it) I do believe He puts his resume in for EVERY chief position within about 100 miles or so, as they come up. Remember town of Harvard?
  18. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

He put in for the Chief's Job in Harvard? :shock: :roll: Someone needs to slow him down..
  19. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

Maybe it's just cause I don't know this guy and don't have whatever bias some others have against him but I can't help noticing one huge double standard going on here. Some people here who shotgun out applications to every agency that posts an opening probably shouldn't bash someone else doing the same thing. Anyway does anybody have anything new to add in regards to the service stripes issue if not maybe someone will start an "Earwax Eric (or whatever the hell you want to call him)" forum.
  20. mpd61

Jared,

You know I love you, even more than Carl. Based on that, and in conjunction with the above posting, I'm nominating you for MASSCOPS Chaplain!
    :lol:
  21. melissa112580

melissa112580 MassCops Member

DC813 .....My dept. (M.W.C.C.) authorizes the wearing of service stripes/hash marks for years of service. I believe one mark stands for 3 years of service and the officers wear them on their long sleeve duty shirts.
  22. Paladin

Paladin MassCops Member

I retired from B.U. after 27 years. Generally it was the us older guys who wore the hash marks. The younger guys were either "too cool" to wear them or didn't last long enough to earn then. We wore them on the left side of our long sleeve shirts as well as the same side on cruiser jackets. We who had them, generally wore leather jackets w/o the hash marks (didn't want to mess up the leather). Each hash mark was worth 5 years. So after 27, I left with 5 of them. Hope this helps. By the way this is a really nice site. It's too bad you can't get a little interaction going with the municipals. Get to know each other a little and learn to respect on another. Both jobs are more alike them different. It takes the same amounts of guts to strap on a gun and hit the bricks no matter what department you work for.
  23. copcreamer

copcreamer MassCops Member

1 hash for every five years.
  24. Muggsy09

Muggsy09 MassCops Member

We just started, on dress uniforms and since there is a crazy turnover here, for every 3 years 1 hash mark. And there has been talk about every year after you can have 1 also but, nothing in stone. No one has made it past that anyway. None of the above is mandatory.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.