Southland (Caution! Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Big.G, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Not to be an assh*le, but I dislike most "police" shows....their inaccuracies and quick and easy solutions drive me crazy. I used to watch original Law & Order, but not really anything else.

Also, I personally despise "The Shield"; people hate cops enough in reality, lets avoid giving them some more fantasy ammunition to shoot at us.
  2. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

[​IMG]
  3. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

I'm glad I'm not the only asshole on the board. TV in general doesn't do much for me, unless it's NatGeo or Discovery in HD...total bliss.
  4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If you couldn't get into the original Law & Order with Jerry Orbach, then it definitely isn't the genre for you.

One thing I liked about Law & Order was that the good guys didn't always win in the end; most episodes, you didn't know what the verdict was going to be.
  5. AFchris77

AFchris77 MassCops Member

Movies and Television by law are not allowed to have the uniforms of military personnel and emergency responders (police,fire,ems) completely correct. They have to purposely F up something on the uni. hence why so many movies and tv shows look like a bag of beat ass on a hot summer day :)
  6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

They can use the uniforms if they have permission from the agency/military. The uniforms and everything else on Adam-12 were exactly correct, and the badges used were real LAPD badges, taken off the set by a LAPD technical advisor when not actually in use.
  7. AFchris77

hmm, thanks for the facts :) adam 12 was before my time. come to think of it, didnt really see alot of mistakes with all the air force uniforms in iron man, wonder if they snagged permission
  8. LawMan3

LawMan3 Moderator Staff Member

Anybody notice the uniform patches and the cruisers in the Departed were not the same as the real MSP? Perfect example of what delta is talking about.
  9. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Ya MSP wouldn't give them permission, but the boston pd in Gone baby gone were legit im pretty sure. I know that The Wire got permission from the mayor of Baltimore to use the real uniforms, and real marked police vehicles.
  10. richie28

richie28 MassCops Member

+1 Thought that too.
  11. Hawk19

Hawk19 MassCops Member

Yep, and The Wire might be the only example where a PD is portrayed in a less than flattering light, but cooperates anyway. I'm guessing the mayor wanted the money that filming pumps into the local economy.
  12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Would you have given permission for your department to be portrayed like that? :cool:
  13. LawMan3

"Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe F*ck yourself." ;)
  14. Hawk19

Hawk19 MassCops Member

Look on the bright side: according to that film, apparently there were only two rotten apples in the entire MSP. Wasn't at least one (I think it might have been former by the point it actually went down) statie implicated in the whitey bulger mess, or am I thinking of a municipal cop?
  15. HuskyH-2

Ya can't remember his name
  16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Former Lieutenant Richard Schneiderhan;

Richard Schneiderhan

Trivia - I went to middle school with his son, who was indicted for perjury involving the Whitey affair, but was found not guilty at trial.
  17. Hawk19

Hawk19 MassCops Member

Thanks! That's who I was thinking of.
  18. AFchris77

i dont think it was a gay bar because wasnt the guy that was arrested earlier talkin to the FTO was the same guy in the back of the unmarked of the 2 vice cops that were catching johns? why would that guy be in a gay bar?
  19. midwatch

midwatch MassCops Member

I don't remember why they said that guy was in custody, but watch it again...there are ZERO chicks in that bar.
  20. PearlOnyx

PearlOnyx Subscribing Member

AF,

Yes, they were picking up Johns, but I got the impression from the conversation that they were picking up this guy for trolling for guys in the park at night.
  21. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

[​IMG]
    'Southland' surprise

SPOILER FOR TONIGHT'S "SOUTHLAND" BELOW
    [​IMG]

So did you catch the subtle reveal at the end of tonight's "Southland" premiere about the sexual orientation of the show's toughest character, police officer John Cooper (Michael Cudlitz)? Honestly, it surprised me too. If a fellow TV critic hadn't tipped me off that there was a gay character, I'm pretty sure it would have sailed over my head.

In an unusually subtle move for network television, the gay character did not out himself with a grand speech and the character did not display any stereotypical tendencies. Instead "Southland" revealed Cooper's sexual orientation in a montage sequence only by showing him in a bar populated by men -- but no neon, rainbow signs or flamboyant characters -- where he chats with a character who'd been arrested earlier in the episode for sex in a public park. But it would have been an easy connection to miss.

In a teleconference last week, "Southland" executive producer John Wells said the nuance of the revelation came about by circumstance more than intent.

"It's only that subtle because we were about seven minutes over in the first cut," Wells said last week. "He is a gay police officer on the LAPD. I think we're at a particularly - certainly at the LAPD where that's not an extraordinary event. So it will simply be a fact of his life and we'll see it and see his world from that perspective."

Wells said he was pleased with the way the cuts worked out.

"We are able now to kind of tease out the theme that we had written that got cut [and it] is actually going to show up in episode three now," he said. "So it saved us about a half day shooting."

'Southland' surprise - Tuned In Journal - post-gazette.com
  22. AFchris77

wow....im really gonna have to seperate this character from the band of brother's "bull" Randelman character...
  23. LawMan3

Anyone watch the episode that was on tonight? I haven't watched yet, just looking for feedback before I decide to waste an hour of my life watching #2.
  24. HuskyH-2

Ahh, shit I forgot it was on.
  25. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I gotta tell ya, I like it. Its Hollywood but its ok.