Quantcast

State Police staffing now at ‘severe levels,’ Patrick officials say

Discussion in 'State Police' started by kwflatbed, Feb 26, 2011.

1. former cop New Member

Watching WBZ,news about the shortage, I went to MSP web site, dated 2/17/2011, those who recved a letter for an interview, fill out the application and bring it with you. Anyone get one yet?
  2. USMCMP5811 Administrator

I don't think that would apply anymore now that the MBTA is a state agency since the merge of the Pike and Mass Hiway forming MassDot. In the end, it would just be a shuffling of money like a shell game. I think the costs that the idiots on Beacon hill are talking about refer to the initial start up cost for the merge (IE... uniforms, repainting of T Cruisers Etc.....)

If the merge did happen, I could see the state closing down the the Old Colony barracks on Day Blvd and maybe the Lower Basin and housing them In the TPD's HQ's on Southampton St....

Just my $0.02
  3. j809 Subscribing Member

But how stupid it would be for troopers to ride trains.
  4. mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

The largest obstacle to overcome might be the MBTA Police retirement.
    Most people don't realize it's tied into special Railroad retirement with 100% for surviving spouse and other benefits too long to list. NOTHING like absorbing the MDC and Capital piggies in 92 folks, lemme tell ya!
    :wink_smile:
  5. mtc High Priestess

That's ALL the "Pike Merger" was anyway - a money grab for toll fees, and power.
  6. Inspector Subscribing Member

Wondering what happened to State Troopers when you don't hire any for an extended period as many retire is sort of like the pols. wondering why retirement systems are in trouble when they allow municipalities and states not pay their share into retirement funds for many years, use retirement money for other purposes. Then they turn around and ask the employees, who've paying all along, to put more money in while saying you have to limit benefits.
  7. Foxy85 MassCops Member

But he woul dbe netting "- 50" Troopers..... Makes perfect sense to me....:rolleyes:

Offer early retirement (to the upper management), get the new hires (entry level guys) paying into the system at a higher percentage......

Christ you could tell people that 25% of their pay is being allocated towards their retirement ( I believe I pay 8% right now, and I work with some 6 % er's) and you would still have thousands of people lined up to take the jobs.....

The state is talking about offering Trial Court employees a one time $7,500 dollar bonus to retire ( they did this once before already). What is that maybe $4,500 after taxes. The state is really stupid. If people haven't retired already, you think they're going to jump at a whopping 5 grand in this crap economy. Might as well stay put and continue to make your full pay.

How about telling these god damn judges to stop dismissing M/V Criminal charges on $100.00 Court costs. freakin' speeding tickets are more expensive. But operate after suspension and pay $100.00 - freakin' ridiculous....But I digress... For more opinion on how to fix the courts, see my piece on "Judge Losapio" a ways back.

The fees added to insurance would punish everyone, rather than the knuckle heads.....

I also learned that the new "$25.00" fee to appeal your citations (as of 01/01/2011) has to be payed directly to the R.M.V. to get a hearing date. If you don't, they won't forward your request to the courts.....More money being dumped into RMV coffers now.....Just an FYI.

I've gone way off topic here, but its all relative. This state is so screwed up when it comes to handling its problems.....:banghead:

I need a beer.:beer_yum:
  8. mpguy MassCops Member

I made an attemt to level the playing field on the "comment section" in this article. I am not naive enough to think it will make much of a difference but.. im bored =)

All of you "haters" FAIL to see how much the State Police are needed!!!!!!!!!! You all see big numbers on there paychecks but fail to understand the hours invested into there work. The troopers base salary MAXED OUT is only $70,000!!! Overtime/Details is how Troopers make there money. It's not like they reach a rediculous base salary. Check other states that have a cost of living like ours and there state police salaries, you may just retract your "there overpayed" statements. Am I hearing you all correctly? "We don't need the MSP". You all need to stop trying to sound well educated if you insist upon making stupid comments!
    Lets speak hypothetically for a moment. Say you are in a bad car accident in rural MA. Traffic quickly builds. 911 is called. Since you are in rural MA, the Primary Law Enforcement is the State Police of course. An ambulance is in route while traffic keeps growing. The ambulance finally arrives but can only WAIT in traffic because there was no Trooper in the area (because numbers are so low)to divert the traffic in order to open a free lane for the Emergeny responders. By the time the ambulance is able to get through traffic, you expire. All the while people in traffic complain about "how bad the traffic is" and make comments like "where the hell are the Police". How about when one of your loved ones fall victim to a home invasion? Keep in mind the response time sucks do to lack of man power. Or when a drunk driver kills your loved ones because the general public realizes state police man power is low leaving roads un-patrolled.
    The State Police are so understaffed that they are forced to work an extreme amounts of OT (thus givig them "nice pay") to keep these hypothetical situations from happening.
    I have also read a comment stating that some of the MSP task forces should be disbanded? When your kid gets hooked on heroin don't ask why it was so easy for him to get it "at such a young age".
    Point in case. You can bash the MSP all you want because you hold a grudge on Troopers for PROTECTING you and other motorist from violations of the law. The law protects all of us. The Troopers only enforce those Laws!
  9. mtc High Priestess

Nice rebuttle - but the issue isn't that they don't "know" it's that they don't WANT to know.

They KNOW damn well that cops, not just Troopers, bust their asses to make those figures. j

They HATE police - HATE public employees - and so rail on their same old nonesense - sounding like the ignorant assholes they are.

And now you'll probably get banned from posting on the paper's website! ('swhat happened to me with the Herald)
  10. mpguy MassCops Member

Bahahahaha, the Herald ehh? It's ok if im banned. I only made the screen name to make that comment =)
  11. OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

I'm all for an MBTA/MSP merger. Less duplicative overhead and streamlined brass. Plus, asset sharing is key to the terrorist threats that are relatively unique to public transit.

I happen think that most state LE agencies (MBTA, MEP, etc.) should be rolled into MSP. With that said, I only favor such mergers if they are implemented properly. Everyone seems to equate "merger" with an onslaught of new troopers. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

In the long run, the savings would hopefully stave off more drastic cuts elsewhere, such as to benefits and the like.
  12. Wolfman "Ultima Ratio Civis"

<cringes>
  13. MSPField MassCops Member

Was about to write a comment but I see Wolfman already made my point that those states have sheriffs who have an active policing role.
    Although I'd also add that we also staff more investigative offices then many state police agencies as well (AG, DA, SSS, task forces, etc.)
  14. irish937 MassCops Member

nail on head!
  15. mtc High Priestess

But they won't streamline the brass, and there are vast differences in training, expertise, and equipment involved between the agencies. (thinking particularly Environmental) There won't be "savings" there'd be excuse making and even less troops on the road.

What'd they get rid of "merging" the Pike with MassHighway? A couple managers?
    It's still a cash bleed - the only difference now is that the "state"'s getting their grubby paws on the toll money.
  16. SinePari Needs more complaints

The article is clearly throwing red meat out there for the people to gnaw on. It equates more troopers, which to the average work-a-day Joe means more ATMs (armed ticket machines) to nab him during his hour commute to his miserable job. That, PLUS an insurance surcharge just to pay for more ATMs. I have a healthy heart so I'm not going into the comments section which may effectively shut down one my ventricles.
  17. OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Perhaps you're right, though you don't get instant savings--you cut positions through attrition.

My main point is that it always seems the opposition of MSP merging with anyone always comes from nightmares of a '92 repeat, where a bunch of new cops who haven't been through an RTT are given Trooper uniforms. What I'm talking about is something similar to NYPD's merger with Transit in the '90's.

Right now, state-wide police agencies compete for limited resources, and streamlining seems to make more logistical sense when you break down the usual barriers. For example, what makes more sense at an airport? State Troopers or Transit Police?
  18. Andy0921 MassCops Member

Are the comments really an accurate reflection of the citizenry? If so, now I know where "mass hole" was derived from. And I thought the comments in our local rag were ruthless...
  19. Delta784 Guest

I consider the average EPO to have more training than the average police officer/trooper, because they go through the full police academy, then go on for more training in the myriad of environmental and wildlife laws that confuse the hell out of me.

Many years ago I went to a call of a guy hunting at Squantum Point Park, and because that's DCR property, I had dispatch call the MSP, but neither I nor the responding trooper had any idea what we could legally do, so we called the MEP, who came down and thankfully took over the whole mess.
  20. mtc High Priestess

Exactly why I don't think it'd fly. MEP uses all sorts of other vehicles, watercraft, ATVs and such. Plus all the land navigation they'd need to know.
  21. SinePari Needs more complaints

A merge always benefits one party more than the other. Besides the usual grumblings about who's uniform looks better, as long as any merge forced upon the members keeps each entity as separate and distinct divisions, not just troops, and a moratorium on transfers should keep the subsequent revolts to a minimum.
  22. MSP75 Guest

The one thing with merges is that the the other agencies merging in to the other all of a sudden move their secretaries, janitors, etc in to LEO positions. Then, when the merge occurs, they are troopers.
  23. cc3915 Masscops Angel

Dammit! I've been exposed, but I was a hell of a janitor and a pretty good secretary to boot.
  24. dave7336 MassCops Member

I thought it was just the Sheriff departments that had all of the cool toys like ATV's, boats, etc...
  25. BrickCop Subscribing Member

Surely you're not inferring that the MSP appointed janitors (whose training primarily involved how much saw dust to sprinkle on hallway vomit) as troopers post merge ? That's a news story if I ever heard one, how'd Victoria Block miss that whopper of a story?