States that require advanced academies?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Education & Training Questions' started by the42cop, Apr 21, 2017 at 2:20 AM.

1. the42cop

the42cop MassCops Member

Hey everyone, I was writing a post about the advanced post academy that CA makes officers undergo at around the 5-7 year mark, when I discovered they no longer do so. I remember there being an "advanced" academy requirement when I was in the basic academy in 1999-2000, but I guess that has gone the way of the dodo bird sometime since then. I'm trying to research any states that require similar training later on in your career and was hoping somebody out there has heard of a state that still does this? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Yeah CA definitely does not do this anymore.

And as far as most other states, I don't think you're going to find anything like an 'advanced academy', other than just regular in-service training every year.

3. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

I though that CA advanced certificate had something to do with having a degree?

Joel98 likes this.
  4. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

You're right, CA has a basic, intermediate and advanced certificate. They have to do with number of years on and bachelors/masters degrees.

sgtmike1980 likes this.
  5. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

You are correct Joel

sgtmike1980 and Joel98 like this.