Sunday storm will bring another significant snowfall to Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by kwflatbed, Feb 11, 2017.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 109K+Poster

Some areas may see 6-12 inches of snow

Updated: 4:21 AM EST Feb 11, 2017

BOSTON —

Another powerful winter storm is showing up on the forecast models for later Sunday.

After a dose of lighter snow moves through Friday night, a much larger storm will form just south of New England, intensifying rapidly Sunday night through early Monday morning.

"It doesn't really start doing anything in earnest until about midday on Sunday," StormTeam 5 Chief Meteorologist Harvey Leonard said. "It starts as snow in most places except along the coast."

Keep track of the storm: Get updates in the WCVB app

Winter storm watches have been posted for almost all of Massachusetts, beginning Sunday and lasting through Monday evening.

By Sunday afternoon, steadier snow will overspread the area from southwest to northeast.

"This time the rain-snow line will play a crucial roll in the forecast around our area," Leonard said. "Where it stays all snow, that's where the best chance for 6 inches or more may fall," Leonard said.

[​IMG]
    The latest models indicate the rain-snow line are pushed back as far as Route 495 during the height of the storm.

Worcester County and southern New Hampshire are the areas that should receive the most snow.

[​IMG]
    The Boston area should see precipitation begin as snow, which may change to rain for a time before changing back to snow. The Cape will see rain for a longer period of time before a change to snow.

As the storm pulls into the Gulf of Maine, any mixed precipitation should flip over to snow, which may come down heavily for a time prior to dawn on Monday. The morning morning commute will be heavily impacted.

"As the storm goes east, it will really intensify and wrap up. There will be a backlash of strong winds Monday," Leonard said. "We may sneak away without it, but I can't be certain."

Leonard said if the storm intensifies off the coast, then eastern Massachusetts will get snow, strong winds and near blizzard-like conditions late Sunday night into Monday.

Winds will also impact much of southern New England, beginning late Sunday night, as the storm rapidly intensifies.

"From midnight Sunday through mid-morning Monday, winds could gust to 30-50 mph, especially over the Cape and Islands," StormTeam 5 meteorologist Cindy Fitzgibbon said.

[​IMG]
    During the high tide cycle on Monday (around midday), winds will be strong from the north, resulting in the possibility for some coastal flooding along the north side of Cape Cod, especially around Sandwich. Minor splashover is possible for other coastal locations, but flooding should not be a major factor, given the timing of the strongest winds occurring between high tides.

The storm will pull through the Gulf of Maine by midday on Monday, bringing the snow to an end around the lunch hour.

StormTeam 5 is indicating Saturday, Sunday, and Monday as Impact Weather Days -- Saturday early morning for lingering light snow, Sunday and Monday for the potentially larger storm later Sunday through Monday midday.

2. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Oh THANK GOD, I was afraid the season was done and the endless passes by the plow guys to fill in the end of my driveway was done and over with. I do so look forward to digging through the frozen snow numerous times thinking, "Ok, this HAS to be the last time they come by. The street is wide enough for three cars to get down it side by side." THEN they wait just long enough to convince you they're gone and BOOM, here they come again, just as I step out of my boots and change into pants without wet cuffs. I wait in the cold for 10-15 minutes killing time and tidying up, and when they don't return, I figure I'm safe. Silly me.

And WORK OUT WORLD thinks they're going to get my money? Hell no. This is a much cheaper, though frustrating workout.

3. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

They're sitting at the end of the street watching you just waiting for you to go in. While you're out there waiting to see if they come back, they're looking at the clock asking themselves why you haven't gone in yet.

pahapoika likes this.
  4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Kilvinsky, I feel your pain brother. I used to live on the uphill side of the street and my driveway was an even steeper hill going down towards the street. The city's plows would do the downhill side of the street first, then the uphill side.

During the big storms I would reguarly have 4-5 feet of snow piled from the edge of my street to 10-12 feet inside my driveway, regardless if I had already shoveled or not.

I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.

5. Kilvinsky

2015 AGAIN!?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :eek:

6. Kilvinsky

I'd be nearly suicidal or more likely HOMICIDAL!